Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2015, 04:22 PM   #21
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: How do you avoid people swarming your car when you stop?

most Model A people encourage and enjoy people wanting to ask questions. It is in my opinion unrealistic to expect people not to want to enjoy your A. I must admit that in 40 years this is the first time I have ever heard this question asked???? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:31 PM   #22
Rene R

I've always enjoyed answering questions, except for one. For whatever reason 3 out of 5 people that stop me as I'm getting in or out of the car ask "how much is it worth." That is tiresome. I finally started answering "probably a lot less than you think."

My biggest concern is not the people who hover over the car and ask questions when I'm stopped, but rather the drivers around me who are pointing and/or trying to take pictures instead of paying attention to their driving. I'd hate to inadvertently cause an accident because my car distracted someone.
Rene R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:55 PM   #23
Slotblog

I like engaging the poeple who want to talk about my old car. But then, I usually talk so much that peoples' ears begin to bleed...

Promote, promote, promote... that's my mantra.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:29 PM   #24
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slotblog View Post
I like engaging the poeple who want to talk about my old car. But then, I usually talk so much that peoples' ears begin to bleed...

Promote, promote, promote... that's my mantra.
Agree, agree and agree some more! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:32 PM   #25
Rex_A_Lott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene R View Post
I've always enjoyed answering questions, except for one. For whatever reason 3 out of 5 people that stop me as I'm getting in or out of the car ask "how much is it worth." That is tiresome. I finally started answering "probably a lot less than you think."

My biggest concern is not the people who hover over the car and ask questions when I'm stopped, but rather the drivers around me who are pointing and/or trying to take pictures instead of paying attention to their driving. I'd hate to inadvertently cause an accident because my car distracted someone.
I tell em "its not worth nothing". They look at you funny, so you say "Well, if I sell it, all I'm going to get is money, and I'll waste that on wild women and beer, and pretty soon all I'll have left is nothing, so that's what its worth". Usually good for a laugh and gets around the question without having to come right out and say " Its none of your business, unless you're buying".
I have another old truck, that I bought from my friends widow, that sometimes I'll say "you dont have enough money to buy it".
You've got to understand, most of these people are just searching for something to start a conversation, they are not serious, even though it gets old sometimes. Dont worry, be happy.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:41 PM   #26
Indiana A. Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Indiana A. Lover
Thumbs up Re: How do you avoid people swarming your car when you stop?

It is very simple. DRIVE A RAT_ ROD like I do sometimes I let people climb all over it and kids love to make varrommmm sounds. I am sorry I will take my RAT_ROD home and never speck of it again!!!!!! Don Smith who is going on the honor flight for COMBAT VETS to Washington D C and I am god damn Proud of it!!!!! God Bless the U.S.A. Iam very proud to be a U.S. Soldier.
Indiana A. Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:54 PM   #27
JOHN CT

My favorite question is did you drive it here ? ( no I pushed it ) and what year is it ? I tell them it's 2015 ! Ha but I love talking about bouncing Betty !! It always draws a crowd .
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:54 PM   #28
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by diomed View Post
I've driven a lot of Shelby Cobra's around and people rarely looked twice at them. Whenever somebody did, it was to tell me about their '67 Mustang in the garage. With the Model A, it's totally different. Everywhere I go I'm asked questions about it. I get questions from all ages, men, women and children. I happened to be driving near an elementary school yesterday as they were letting out. The wife and i answered a ton of questions from the children. I'm happy to answer them, but I'm normally the type of person who likes to sit in the background and blend in with the wall.

These cars really seem to make people smile, and that's not a bad thing to me.
EXACT same here. Most people don't pay any attention to our older Mustang but when I'm in the Model A I get all kinds of people waving and giving the thumbs up, all ages of people. I don't drive the old cars to get other people's attention, I just enjoy them. Kind of embarrassing actually.

But the neat thing is, most people don't think you are trying to impress them with a high dollar car, they just like seeing the A's and T's!!
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:55 PM   #29
Synchro909

Only occasionally will anybody give either of my As a second look. I can leave it in the car park at the shopping centre and people walk by seemingly without noticing. When they do, it's often recent immigrants from either Asia or the Middle East where they have nothing like them. When somebody does stop, I get the same questions mentions above. My answer to "How fast does it go?", I truthfully answer "I don't know" or "Fast enough to get a speeding ticket". They can't comprehend that I haven't tried it out.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:59 PM   #30
RUNNERBUN

Most times I really enjoy the chat even though you do hear the same questions over and over again. On the rare occasion when I'm not up for a chat I just say sorry, I must go, my wife just called me and said that the baby is about to arrive and I need to get her to the hospital. Works every time. They congratulate me (I'm 64) and wish me all best.
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:20 PM   #31
Slotblog

Lol!
Old 09-17-2015, 06:36 PM   #32
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Mace!
Old 09-17-2015, 06:46 PM   #33
mshmodela

Old Ladies (our cars) like the attention, we're just their caretakers for now...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:19 PM   #34
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Duke View Post
Just sell it and buy yourself an old Vega, no one will bother you!

Ted
i dunno i have a Chevette and get asked about it or told a quick story about one someone used to have, usually humorous. fun car to take to a dealership, older salesmen are like bees on honey around it!
Old 09-17-2015, 09:16 PM   #35
29er

I drive my coupe to deliver Meals-On-Wheels. Those folks really appreciate her and love to reminisce!

Mike in Orygun
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:23 PM   #36
dlfrisch

I hear the story....it was something this.....an "A" owner, about 60 years old, drove to the store in his restored tudor and of course people started to ask questions and view the car. One person was really excited and loved the Model A......asked the guy did you buy this car new ?
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:43 PM   #37
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrisch View Post
I hear the story....it was something this.....an "A" owner, about 60 years old, drove to the store in his restored tudor and of course people started to ask questions and view the car. One person was really excited and loved the Model A......asked the guy did you buy this car new ?
That is a good one.....lol
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:44 PM   #38
Barber31

Actually, I feel proud that I put so much hard work into building it, it made somebody happy enough to strike up a conversation with a stranger. To me that makes me happy. And I feel Blessed that I'm fortunate enough to have the vehicle to begin with. The only 2 ones that bother me are the guys who start asking financial questions. "How much did you pay" " how much is it worth" "how much have you spent on it". Asking about my personal finances is pretty rude and very common for me unfortunately. The other is the guy who feels the need to list his vast collection of valuable cars that he once had but no longer does for whatever reason. I never know what to say to that. Like, aww... Sorry you don't have them anymore but you can watch me drive mine. Awkward.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:45 PM   #39
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMan View Post
Smile. Answer the same questions the same way you did 30 minutes ago. Be proud. If you don't like it, buy a Camry. I get it with all my fun cars. The below commandments for Ferrari owners apply to us as well (except for driving on race tracks).

http://mondialt.com/2014/10/16/10-co...car-ownership/
I try to follow all of the commandments except number 9. My wife and I will take as much time as needed to answer any and all questions, regardless as to how often we hear them.

It is part of the responsibility of owning museum pieces.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:48 PM   #40
1955cj5

When we brought the ccpu home on a trailer we stopped at a local farm supply store to buy tape for the windows...when we came out there were folks all around the old pickup....I think when you see one on a trailer you may think it's been "rescued" from some horrible fate...we got lots of questions and stories of childhood Model A experiences....