Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2015, 08:25 PM   #61
Ron Lachniet

Smile Re: Coast to coast

On our trip we went to Walmart and bought a cheap plastic pan and a gallon of oil. We changed the oil in the parking lot and they took the old oil to recycle. they also took the used pan off our hands and within a half hour we were on our way.
Ron Lachniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:59 PM   #62
hale1776

Default Re: Coast to coast

Buy one of those plastic (crap) six blade fans and a spare fan belt and bring them with you, change whatever is on it in Florida. when you get a flat, switch to spare, that night at hotel put flat back on car and change tubes, its easier to do on the car than in a motel room floor, you will need a tire iron preferably two. Normal timing for a Model A is one thing....you will need to advance it... lever up is advanced lever down is real advanced basically tune it for 55 miles an hour something you would normally never do.
hale1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:08 AM   #63
modelAtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
A friend just picked up a superb sedan that is in Florida and recruited me to help him drive it back to California in September. I can't be away from my business for too long, so we plan to do about 600 miles each day.

Plan is to take the southern route. We have hotels and gas stops mapped. Hope to see a few sights, but it will mostly be all business. Seeing another Model A or two along the way would be cool if any of you guys happen to be along our route. Will update as things unfold..
P.S Just noticed your post further down, [ car does have overdrive] My 31 Tudor has Mitchell inserted engine 65 hp dynoed. 3:27 rear. If the car ya'll plan on driving is very road worthy, YES sounds like a great trip. 600 miles will make you think about running around 450 after about the 3rd day. When I travel interstate I run about 63-64 mph, rpm 1800 at 60 mph. driving 430 miles a day I do this very easy, counting fuel stops that's gas up and be gone in 15 minutes and 1 fuel stop with meal 30 minutes I cover the 430 miles in 8 hrs flat. Begin trip 8am and at my destination 4 pm . get in motel before city traffic kills you, so you could travel the 600 miles per day but after 3rd day you begin to ddrrraaaggg down and get tired and humm drum. I think ya'll will have a great trip. IF THE CAR IS VERY ROAD WORTHY AND UP FOR THE TRIP. Have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:18 AM   #64
John Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell in Tulsa View Post
Planned for oil changes along the way? I stopped at a walmart once and they wouldn't change the oil as the A had no filter. If it has a touring engine, maybe only one oil change, if not, how many? Would need to think about that as may be difficult to find oil recycle places along the way if you change the oil your self.
At the Marquette MI National, Walmart changed the oil just fine. I bought the oil, paid a small fee and drove the car into the bay. Even loaned the Tech my Barcalo service wrench when he asked what the size of the drain plug was. I know we had at least 5 cars change oil there. He seemed to really enjoy doing it of course they weren't busy at the time. Sounds like you found one that didn't want to bother because they might have been busy. Talk to them first and explain what you want. Most places are receptive when they get over the shock of the old car.
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #65
mshmodela

Have the best of both worlds, trailer it and when the urge hits, take it off and drive it a bit on your way in the nicer areas of your trip. A win win!

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:16 PM   #66
Henry1953

I live in Laurel, MS, about 25 miles off your route or maybe less if you take a slight detour. I would be glad to meet you and lend a hand if need be. PM me and I will give you my cell number. I could also help with an oil change or whatever at my house.
Henry1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #67
George Miller

Back in 1996 4 of us went to Texas from NC to get a 56 Chev like my first new car. We left on thursday after work. We drove the 56 back no problem with it. But our 1995 car had a fuel pump problem. Fixed that with tin foil around a fuse. We were back Sunday night. I never got to drive the 56, because my Son and my good friend keep driving it. But I still have the car, and hope to give it to my Grandson when the time comes.

It was a drive of a Life time, I glade we got to go.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #68
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by hale1776 View Post
Buy one of those plastic (crap) six blade fans and a spare fan belt and bring them with you, change whatever is on it in Florida. when you get a flat, switch to spare, that night at hotel put flat back on car and change tubes, its easier to do on the car than in a motel room floor, you will need a tire iron preferably two. Normal timing for a Model A is one thing....you will need to advance it... lever up is advanced lever down is real advanced basically tune it for 55 miles an hour something you would normally never do.

I also like this idea as I have found a number of the 1930s four blade (riveted) fans and the 80's repro four blade fans (the ones where 4 bolts hold the blades on-there is a two blade version of this also) that are out of balance and shake the car like it was going to come apart at around 50 -55.

This noise is the kind of thing that will wear you down rapidly on long trips.

Put plastic fan on and it is very smooth now.
I don't really like the looks but not having the vibrations is a God send!
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:03 PM   #69
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Also if the car has a glass sediment bowl be sure to take couple of spare CORK gaskets.

The Neoprene ones turn to mush in the ethanol and you can not reinstall them on the side of the road.
A spare glass wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Back in 69 I was driving my 50 Studebaker from El Paso to Cloudcroft, NM and in the middle of nowhere the glass bowl suddenly cracked. I pulled over as soon as I smelled gas, and saw what had happened. I looked around and found a plastic bread bag on the side of the road. I lined the inside of the glass bowl with it, and that got me to Alamogordo, where I was able to buy a new glass.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:32 PM   #70
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Back in 69 I was driving my 50 Studebaker from El Paso to Cloudcroft, NM and in the middle of nowhere the glass bowl suddenly cracked. I pulled over as soon as I smelled gas, and saw what had happened. I looked around and found a plastic bread bag on the side of the road. I lined the inside of the glass bowl with it, and that got me to Alamogordo, where I was able to buy a new glass.
MacGyver at work!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:51 PM   #71
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry1953 View Post
I live in Laurel, MS, about 25 miles off your route or maybe less if you take a slight detour. I would be glad to meet you and lend a hand if need be. PM me and I will give you my cell number. I could also help with an oil change or whatever at my house.
You are indeed a very kind and generous person! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:12 PM   #72
marc hildebrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Tom,

Going Skiing ? I've been to Cloudcroft and it's real nice.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:44 PM   #73
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc hildebrant View Post
Tom,

Going Skiing ? I've been to Cloudcroft and it's real nice.

Marc
No, it was a beautiful place to go camping on the weekends to get away from base.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:11 PM   #74
ian Simpson

I found this thread an example of how old and risk averse the average Model A owner is. I am 71 years young and would love to take on a trip similar to that PS and his buddy are planning if only my arthritis would allow.

Some time back I posted that I planned to get a speeding ticket in my 28 Tudor. I could not believe the nay sayers on this forum. (As an update, all I get when speeding past the local RCMP is a wave of encouragement, very disheartening.)

Lighten up everyone, they are cars to be used hard and enjoyed. Unless you have a major upset, they are cheap and easy to fix. Use, abuse and enjoy them while you still can.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:29 PM   #75
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian Simpson View Post
I found this thread an example of how old and risk averse the average Model A owner is. I am 71 years young and would love to take on a trip similar to that PS and his buddy are planning if only my arthritis would allow.

Some time back I posted that I planned to get a speeding ticket in my 28 Tudor. I could not believe the nay sayers on this forum. (As an update, all I get when speeding past the local RCMP is a wave of encouragement, very disheartening.)

Lighten up everyone, they are cars to be used hard and enjoyed. Unless you have a major upset, they are cheap and easy to fix. Use, abuse and enjoy them while you still can.
It's just the time constrains that have most of us concerned, not the trip itself.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:39 PM   #76
700rpm

Quote:
... lever up is advanced lever down is real advanced basically tune it for 55 miles an hour something you would normally never do.
Lever up is retarded. Lever down a little more than half way is a good stop-and-go traffic range. Lever all the way down is fully advanced and good for highway cruising.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:33 PM   #77
hale1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Lever up is retarded. Lever down a little more than half way is a good stop-and-go traffic range. Lever all the way down is fully advanced and good for highway cruising.
I know that, what I was recommending was timing it for the highway, pull off highway, pop cap, unlock screw, turn cam a wee bit....get back in drive, repeat till she runs great at whatever your cruise speed is. Not recommended for everyday driving and needs to be retarded when they reach CA.
hale1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:57 PM   #78
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Quote:
I know that, what I was recommending was timing it for the highway, pull off highway, pop cap, unlock screw, turn cam a wee bit....get back in drive, repeat till she runs great at whatever your cruise speed is. Not recommended for everyday driving and needs to be retarded when they reach CA.
For cruising speed I get up to speed and then adjust the lever down paying attention to the rpm of the motor. When the rpm's no longer rise as the lever is lowered that is the optimum timing for that speed. Too much or too little can cause problems like, overheating, pinging, and early failure of babbit.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:42 PM   #79
Kahuna

OK,
When is the trip starting?
I want to follow along
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #80
31Tudor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian Simpson View Post
I think very view of us are not saying not to do it, but the time constraint will make or break the trip by putting so much pressure on the clock instead of being able to just enjoy your Model A journey.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote