Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2015, 10:54 AM   #1
P.S.

Default Coast to coast

A friend just picked up a superb sedan that is in Florida and recruited me to help him drive it back to California in September. I can't be away from my business for too long, so we plan to do about 600 miles each day.

Plan is to take the southern route. We have hotels and gas stops mapped. Hope to see a few sights, but it will mostly be all business. Seeing another Model A or two along the way would be cool if any of you guys happen to be along our route. Will update as things unfold..
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
31Abone

Default Re: Coast to coast

what city calif ?
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:07 AM   #3
40 Deluxe

600 miles a day will take maybe 14-15 hours a day. Why push so hard? Instead, enjoy the journey! Enjoy the car instead of flogging it so hard! When is the next time you will have an opportunity for a road trip like this?! Can "business" be that important, that you can't take time to "stop and smell the flowers"??
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:29 AM   #4
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

I really think 600 miles a day in a A is pushing it... we did Niagara and it took 2 days and we pushed to about 12 hours a day....I really don't think you will accomplish the 600 per day that you think..
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:43 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Sounds like a fun trip, but I too would take it easy and make the trip more enjoyable.
Will there be two drivers and two cars, or will you both share driving the model A, and that be the only car?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:44 AM   #6
Dennis Pereira

600 miles a day in a modern vehicle gets old real fast . I don't see how you will get any enjoyment out of pushing an antique auto that hard .
Old 08-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #7
Bruce

I agree that 600 mile/day would be a lot -- even if you were flogging a rent car. In a Model A -- no matter how "touring class" you make it -- 600 miles in a day would make you feel like you were in a Mad Max movie. However, I also know that Mark and the other Town Sedans that we were trying to keep up with were driving "Station Wagon speeds" so we didn't overly stress our new engine. Without the 50 mph'ers they could have made it to The Falls in a day. But they wouldn't have had so much fun!
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:52 AM   #8
bikemaniac

You have planned hotels and gas stops. But have you also planned on what to do if you have a mechanical or electrical breakdown that will strand for 1 day or more?
bikemaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:01 PM   #9
CarlG

My friend just drove his Model A from Anchorage to the Chicago area. About 300 miles per day was comfortable. Some days were a little longer, but those became very tiring, and made the next day not so enjoyable.

600 miles per day in a Model A is going to take you roughly 18 hours on the clock to complete. Not much time to rest at the end of the day.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:08 PM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i would ship it on enclosed transport being it is a newly purchased car.. if driving it is a must i would thoroughly ck it over and service it first... being on foreign turf that may be hard to do

im not one to just buy a car and drive it across the country without knowing everyhting about the mechanicals

i wish u the best on your adventure
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:16 PM   #11
Gil Sissons

If I read the post correctly....the purchased can is a unknown car to you.
Although your own personal car may be able to keep up a 600 mile per
day pace.....I would suggest you have plans in place for your business'
#2 person to run things a few days.
My opinio .... You are asking a lot of the newly purchased car.
Gil. NoCal
Gil Sissons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:21 PM   #12
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Are the tires new, has the engine been rebuilt, is everything else like new ? Why would you ever chance 600 miles a day. Hopefully not to save money because I bet when you are finished and total up the costs you could have schipperke it cheaper ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:24 PM   #13
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

I concur with all the wise advice above....I don't even drive my new car that far in one day. 350 miles is far enough for a day.....IMO. But, it's your car on your time and dime!! I wish you a safe journey.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:48 PM   #14
P.S.

Yes, the business is that important. Lots of people and their families depending on it for their livelihood. The responsibility of being a business owner. Most people cannot understand.

By sharing the driving, we think 300 miles per day each while the other is resting should be easier. Or so we think. We are both young and energetic. If we were in our 50's or older, then it would be a different story. The wives are not coming along.

As for breakdown plans, we are shipping out tools etc. we might need that will go with us. That way we don't have to worry about the airline losing it. If UPS loses the package, that is another story.

No chase car.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:07 PM   #15
burner31

Put it on a car trailer and haul it home, you'll make better time, won't worry much about a breakdown, if your tow vehicle is good, make it back when you plan, get yourself and others back to work, would be easier on your body, would be easier on the model A.
Seems cut and dry...trailer it home and enjoy all the waves and smiles from the other people on the road.
You can enjoy driving it when you get it home.

If not...what's your route? Coming through Oklahoma?
How about a pic of your map/route so we can wave and say "HI" as you head home.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:18 PM   #16
Rex_A_Lott

Where in Florida?
IMHO your friend would do well to find another friend that's not in such a hurry. One of you could accompany him on half the journey, and then fly back and the other could fly out and drive the rest of the way home. Three people get to enjoy the fun instead of two.
IF you make it, you're going to be one tired mother chicken.
Make sure you have your AAA card.
Good Luck to you!
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:22 PM   #17
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
Put it on a car trailer and haul it home, you'll make better time, won't worry much about a breakdown, if your tow vehicle is good, make it back when you plan, get yourself and others back to work, would be easier on your body, would be easier on the model A.
Seems cut and dry...trailer it home and enjoy all the waves and smiles from the other people on the road.
You can enjoy driving it when you get it home.

If not...what's your route? Coming through Oklahoma?
How about a pic of your map/route so we can wave and say "HI" as you head home.
I know, I know... If it were mine, that is exactly what I would do. You, Mitch, Carl, etc. are all right.

However, it is not my car, it is his, and he wants to drive it back.

Our planned route is I-98 winding NW to I-10 W to 98 W to 49 W to I-20 W to 287 to I-40 W to 395 to highway 99 N to home.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:25 PM   #18
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_A_Lott View Post
Where in Florida?
IMHO your friend would do well to find another friend that's not in such a hurry. One of you could accompany him on half the journey, and then fly back and the other could fly out and drive the rest of the way home. Three people get to enjoy the fun instead of two.
IF you make it, you're going to be one tired mother chicken.
Make sure you have your AAA card.
Good Luck to you!
He is the one who wants to be home in 5 days. I'm actually good until the following Monday, which is 7 days from departure. But not a day more.

Considering the adventure planned, I just had to be a part of it.

Worst case if we break down, we have to arrange shipping the car and fly home. Best case, we just drive straight home with no hiccups. I suspect the result will be somewhere between those two.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:31 PM   #19
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Tell him to go himself
Hate to be blunt but there should be common sense used also

Bring airfare money lol
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:34 PM   #20
mrtexas

Do yourself a favor and ship the car, cost maybe $1,500 for enclosed on U-Ship. You can have it in less than a week from today and way cheaper than two guys flying out and driving back. BTW it is hotter than h@ll in September all the way from Florida to California. Plan on 93-95F minimum the whole way near the Gulf, hotter if more inland. I don't see how you can make 600 miles a day going 45mph especially without air conditioning. I'm on your route today near Houston and I10 and it is 100F and 100% humidity. Couple days next week is projected to be around 104F or so. The fastest way to California would be on I10 from coast to coast. Oh and out west of San Antonio there are stretches of I10 without a wide spot in the road for 100 miles! I drove from Southern California to Beaumont,TX myself in 1978, 1,600 miles. I drove like h@ll and it took 4 days. Haven't driven it again.

Don't be offended but I question your sanity.

Last edited by mrtexas; 08-07-2015 at 01:47 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote