Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2015, 05:18 AM   #61
Franchise_24

Default Re: no numbers now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Anyone ever heard of a model A'er getting busted for stamping his own numbers, or is it just that no one would ever do that?
No there are quite a few people in this thread suggestion to perform illegal activities, and find it amusing when people disagree with them.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:04 AM   #62
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise_24 View Post
No there are quite a few people in this thread suggestion to perform illegal activities, and find it amusing when people disagree with them.
I'm restoring the original numbers. I'm not changing numbers to commit fraud.

How about a frame change? A person then has a frame that may have numbers registered to another car on the road. The same goes for an engine change. Many engine numbers are ground off and changed during an engine rebuild.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:00 AM   #63
mshmodela

Heck if there are no longer numbers on the frame then that's a problem as well... Odds of that number registered in your state or another is low.. even if so, it will match the block...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:18 AM   #64
Steve Wastler

The funny thing is how you make nothing into something! Speeding, jaywalking, crossing a double yellow line, all illegal, and I'm sure none of you have ever done these! Get over it and let this guy do what he's got to do to get another A on the road.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:40 AM   #65
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wastler View Post
The funny thing is how you make nothing into something! Speeding, jaywalking, crossing a double yellow line, all illegal, and I'm sure none of you have ever done these! Get over it and let this guy do what he's got to do to get another A on the road.
When you jaywalk they don't take or confiscate your car when you are caught. You also don't end up with a criminal record. To suggest that someone should commit a criminal offense is absolutely ludicrous ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:49 AM   #66
Steve Plucker
BANNED

I can see that this thread is going to be deleted real quick.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #67
caboose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpo1 View Post
When I was in the Homicide Squad, the Auto Squad was next door and they used a chemical (don't know the name), that lifts the stamped numbers after they've been ground off. It picks up on the compressed metal below the surface. They can do the same thing with ground-off serial numbers on firearms. I've seen it done and it is impressive. Check with a PD that has an Auto Squad.
Haven't read all the responses to see if this was already mentioned: coin collectors use some chemical concoction to get the dates on coins legible.
caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:01 AM   #68
Steve Wastler

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
When you jaywalk they don't take or confiscate your car when you are caught. You also don't end up with a criminal record. To suggest that someone should commit a criminal offense is absolutely ludicrous ! Wayne
Illegal is illegal, nice double standard!
Old 07-03-2015, 08:13 AM   #69
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
It is not a double standard, it is an exercise in common sense which seems to be lacking! If his car is confiscated will you replace it for him ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:21 AM   #70
LopezCarguy

The frame numbers are not visable because the frame welting, splash aprons and body are over them, if you take these off and can see frame where body sat the numbers can be recovered with a acid/electrolysis process the state patrol uses in Washington state..I have had them do it in past..
Old 07-03-2015, 08:21 AM   #71
Steve Wastler

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
It is not a double standard, it is an exercise in common sense which seems to be lacking! If his car is confiscated will you replace it for him ! Wayne
So you're saying it's better to cause an accident or get run over by a car than to show the MVA what they want to see?
Old 07-03-2015, 09:00 AM   #72
Franchise_24

I think this thread just needs to be put to rest and shut down. Not everyone is going to agree on the methods and it should not be left up promoting illegal activities.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:15 AM   #73
mngrant

It appears from the postings the only thing you have not done is inquire about help from a local club. There is probably a member who has dealt with this before. Just another suggestion, I hope it all works out.
mngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:20 AM   #74
silversink

I am in a club and know all the shady illegal ways to get a title through the DMV, I was trying to do it on the up and up. I have a legal title, Bills of sale from the last three owners, registrations from the same, it's just crazy the hoops you have to go through to get a legitimate title. I could buy n Ore. title, change numbers, and be on my way in an hour ,but would be looking over my shoulder when ever I took it out on the road, all of which it may come to in the end. I will try for a couple more months to get it done right including putting it on a trailer and hitting DMVs all over the country until I get the job done . An other option is title it to a Washington at a relative's add. I truly do appreciate the help on here and suggestions that were suggested. I have ordered a set of stamps( just to have because of the price) and made an appt. with DMV to see what the options are at this point. I will keep you posted as to what had to be done so no one has to go through this blindly.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:31 AM   #75
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i like the titling it in other state idea then transfer back if the body was not already removed.
but now your beyond that...

in PA if you have a reconstructed branded title all it takes to get a clean one is transfer it to NJ then back to PA and its clean...
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:42 AM   #76
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Silversink,

FWIW: Additional advice and humble opinion:

Your title request is far different from mine mentioned above, however, often when seeking questionable permission from any Government agency, (like no VIN number), be prepared for the first answer of NO".

Rather than create a fuss, stay very calm and please ask, "who" can help.

Within DMV higher headquarters there will be at least one person with integrity who will admire your honesty and unyielding determination to correctly obtain your title.

This World is known to have lots of shady characters trying to jump in bed with their neighbor's wife while the neighbor's husband is away ..... but we will always have a few good people with profound respect for their neighbors.

I much later learned that some DMV's have a section known as "Special Permits Section" with hired employees who encounter extremely difficult title applications everyday.

If your state has such a DMV Section, ask for an appointment to visit "in person" because phone deals are usually never as productive to convey your honesty and integrity ..... we all have gifts to read faces, eyes and emotions.

Then, stay calm, stay professional, bring "copies" of all of your paperwork ...... one
favorable first comment with any "compassionate" Government employee is "I need Help."

Per your sincere positive replies thus far, and the documents that you have in hand, an analysis of your character tells me to advise you to do it "your" way ...... your Model A title at DMV is waiting for you ....... just kindly ask.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 07-03-2015 at 11:44 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:22 PM   #77
Rowdy
BANNED

As advised by a Nebraska State Patrolman all you need to do is satisfy the minimum of paperwork. Too much info will only complicate the process. I was fortunate to have a numbers matching chassis from a fordor that was titled to the Briggs body tag number. So the engine and frame number were never in the system. Using this chassis for the Delivery was a no brainer and easy to get a bonded title. The three years on the bonding fell off last year so now I can get a title that will read as original. Not bad for the $225 it cost. The hard part was getting it all assembled for an inspection and a picture showing one side and the front. Rod
Old 07-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #78
H. L. Chauvin

Appears any clear photograph showing and identifying one's Model A always helps.

One can always expect every Model A title situation to be different ..... different State laws, different DMV personnel.

While getting my title last week, my Coupe's engine, transmission, and body was, and still is ............. totally disassembled.

I only had one photo of my Coupe taken 46 years ago in 1969.

My wife told me this photo alone will get a title ...... she was right.

Picture of me, my two rabbit dogs, two shotguns, (one of which was an 84 year old 1931, Model 31 pump Remington that I still use), and 10 dead swamp rabbits displayed out front from a short morning's hunt.

FWIW: As predicted by my wife, this nice DMV lady told me she "definitely" wanted a copy of my 1969 8-1/2" x 11" photo. LOL

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 07-03-2015 at 01:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-03-2015, 01:53 PM   #79
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Welcome Back Steve You Did'nt Miss A Thing
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:41 PM   #80
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Silversink,

Just thanks for your sincere last sentence in your very straightforward reply #75,

"I will keep you posted as to what had to be done so no one has to go through this blindly."

No doubt your overall positive attitude and your willingness to help others by offering to share your title acquisition experience with "no numbers" will be greatly appreciated more than one can ever imagine for years to come for many Model A owners today and in the future.