Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-22-2015, 03:43 PM   #61
prpmmp

Default Re: How do you keep peoples hands off your car?

Start of Rant!! These are cars!! Cars are to be driven!! They are not works of Art!!(If you think they are then hang them on the wall),they are not lawn ornaments(If you think they are then put them out on your lawn),they don't belong in a Museum(Then put them in one ),They are not Furniture(If so put them in your living room),Cars need to be on the road so everyone can see them with out going to certain places to see them! Ok I'm going for a ride!! Later!! Pete
prpmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:05 PM   #62
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prpmmp View Post
Start of Rant!! These are cars!! Cars are to be driven!! They are not works of Art!!(If you think they are then hang them on the wall),they are not lawn ornaments(If you think they are then put them out on your lawn),they don't belong in a Museum(Then put them in one ),They are not Furniture(If so put them in your living room),Cars need to be on the road so everyone can see them with out going to certain places to see them! Ok I'm going for a ride!! Later!! Pete
if you ever have an immaculate show car then you'll understand..
it's nice to have both a driver that you can have every kid in the neighborhood jump on and also a work of art(which they are), anything wrong with that? you can love and enjoy them both, just in different ways

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 06-22-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:20 PM   #63
Jim Huseby

Calm reply to rant: Yep they're cars. These are Model A's. Some ratty driven cars, some nice driven cars, some driven cars that you'd think were blue ribbon cars or trailer queens, some that aren't driven at all, many with a wide range of engineering and craftsmanship, some with minor or extreme mods. I tend to like them all, and I especially tend to like their owners. All of them are what they are for a reason, calculated or uncalculated. However, with a very nice driven car, small scratches and stains are a heart break AND in a few short months or years accumulate to make a car shabby. It is a continuing challenge, as expressed in this thread, to keep a nice car nice, but that's life and there may not be a perfect solution. I tend to dislike scratches, chips, dullness and stains and other "life happens" on my cars, but that does not keep me from liking yours.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #64
BlueSunoco

Driver or show car, people need to show respect to either one. If our Model A was a Henry Award winner or the like I sure would be extra extra fussy I am anyway regardless I just treat cars w/ respect mine and other people's.

It would be like going into someone's house and tracking in dog poo and mud on your shoes, propping your feet up on their couch, eating their food and spilling and slopping all over. Polite people just don't act that way.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #65
mshmodela

Quote:
Originally Posted by prpmmp View Post

Withall due respect, to some these cars are in fact works of Art. It is to each owner to choose who shall touch or sit in their cars --hopefully done in a polite and adult manner.

As for me, I let most anyway sit in my car once I talk with them a bit.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #66
JohninKuranda

Quite often I drive my Sunday car - my 1915 Model T Roadtser, into my home town and leave a "please do not touch" sign on the front whilst I grab a cup of coffee. I live in a tourist town - "The Village in the Rainforest" - heaps of visitors. The sign is actually for their own protection. The brass radiator gets quite hot after a decent run; but it tends to attract the "touchers" like moths to the flame. I have got past really caring now-a-days if folk ignore the sign and end up with burnt finger tips.
JohninKuranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:09 PM   #67
Rex_A_Lott

A "touchy" subject for sure. I dont own anything I cant stand for anybody to touch. I do this by choice, because I know that if I had a car as nice as some of the ones I see here, I would lose it if I saw someone disrespecting what I had worked so hard on/spent so much money to purchase. I just dont put myself in that spot.
I fully understand how both sides feel on this. I really dont have a good answer to the question.
If I had caught someone key scratching an arrow on the door on a car of mine, I'd be really torn as to what to do....either a fist to the kidneys or a kick in the nuts....both were deserved, but neither would be quite enough.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:27 PM   #68
BILL WILLIAMSON

How come everybody ain't PERFECT, like WE ARE? Them IMPERFECT TURDS should stay at home, play with their COMPUTATOR, ur WHATEVER & don't risk OFFENDING outsiders & become OLD KRANKY HERMITS, then we wouldn't have to deal with them!
Bill W.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:47 PM   #69
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post
The car is not crystal, the hand prints will wipe off. When someone comes up all you have to do is get up off your chair, smile, talk to them. You know, like you are there to share your car and enjoy yourself.

If kids come up I open the door for them and let them sit in the car, grab the steering wheel, honk the horn, and smile. I even take them for a ride if possible. BIG smiles. Priceless. And I always get a thank you from the parents.

That is what I am there for but if you just want to see your car sit there and sparkle like a diamond ring, maybe you could invest in a rope barrier like they have in theaters.
Amen ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:53 PM   #70
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewwolfe View Post
I was at a harvest festival last year and looked back to where my car was displayed. There was some teenager with the door open, climbing into it. I yelled and headed back there, whereupon some woman says to me "it's okay, I told him he could get in it." I looked at her and asked just who she was. "Oh, I'm his mother." I asked for her address. When she asked why I wanted it, I replied that I was heading over to her house with some friends to sit in her living room and have a few beers because "it's okay." If someone wants to sit in my car all they have to do is ask and I'll be happy to accommodate you and take pictures. All you have to do is ask.
funny but sad story. what a nerve.

does you car have door locks?
My 33 does but I have not looked it up yet, still getting it working, but will when I eventually take it out and leave it parked.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #71
jr-41ford

Our car club does one or two events per week at assisted care facilities and the residents love the Model As. They also like the other older classics, but most have previously owned a Model A.

There are always requests from the residents to look at the cars a little closer, we all tell them to that they can get inside if they would like to. We've also have had several residents that have very bad eyesight or are blind and they will feel every inch of the guy, smiling the entire time.

It's priceless to watch the smiles and other expressions of joy on their faces.
jr-41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:14 PM   #72
Kahuna

jr-41fORD

You, Sir, have it figured out
Regards
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:30 PM   #73
Tom Wesenberg

A Model T coil connected to the car body should get the job done.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:55 PM   #74
Charles Coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
A Model T coil connected to the car body should get the job done.
It works well. My father showed this to me back in the fifties. I got bit!
Charles Coe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:07 AM   #75
V4F

wire up a model "T" coil to the body ..........
Old 06-23-2015, 08:25 AM   #76
Mitch//pa
BANNED

how about wiring up a model T coil to the body
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:57 AM   #77
Skibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
How come everybody ain't PERFECT, like WE ARE? Them IMPERFECT TURDS should stay at home, play with their COMPUTATOR, ur WHATEVER & don't risk OFFENDING outsiders & become OLD KRANKY HERMITS, then we wouldn't have to deal with them!
Bill W.

Kidding aside, I wish I could write like this.....
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:15 AM   #78
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibb View Post
Kidding aside, I wish I could write like this.....

You do know why Bill's lingo is like it is and how he ended up in Californy? 1st cousin to Tom Joad and went west with the Joad family, been there ever since.
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:33 PM   #79
Chris H

I enjoy showing my car. I like answering questions about it and the history of the Model A in general. Most people do respect the car by not touching. My car is not a show car by any means, but I do try to keep it nice and as original as I can afford. I have had adults hold their small children up to show them what the inside looks like, and have offered to open it up to let them look inside. I have even allowed some to climb in, honk the horn, and sit behind the wheel, with no negative results. Most are polite and thank me for the experience. Ii just see the show as a small history lesson.
I did make it available for a wedding once. It got more attention than the bride and groom. It was a real hit, and the family appreciated it. I would do it again. My sister has already told me that it WILL be available for both my neice's and nephew's wedding, when the time comes. Looking forward to it!
Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:52 PM   #80
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
You do know why Bill's lingo is like it is and how he ended up in Californy? 1st cousin to Tom Joad and went west with the Joad family, been there ever since.
Skibb & '31,
I'm NOT a good WRITER, I jist write stuff as I SEE/INTERPRET it. The Dogs' LINGO, bad spelin', & poor GRAMMER rubs off on me. Sometimes he narrates stuff for me to TIPE--Sometimes on the phone, I'm thought to be YOUNG & full of PISS & VINEGAR, NOT a 79 1/2 year old!!
Hope y'all don't tire of my B.S, it's great therapy for me & cheeper than a SHRINK & I hope I have contributed some SERIOUS mechanical help/advice that I've lurned from EXPERIENCE & MANY GREAT "teachers", including my Dad, Chief, (RIP), who hooked me up to an ERA that I missed.
I only suggest help & advice that has worked for me, personally & the events that I portray, are TRUE! And, my Dog duz TALK! I know how to interpret his EVERY expression
Bill W.