Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-21-2015, 12:40 PM   #41
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: How do you keep peoples hands off your car?

We are always invited to opening night of Farmers Market & have a WHOLE block to back our cars into. It's a laid back event, but one of my FAVORITES! BLACK, Minerva sported a sign in her L/H 1/4 window, "YES, YOU CAN TOUCH MY CAR, & IF YOU EVER MADE OUT IN A MODEL A, SIT IN IT, & SEE IF YOU CAN RECOMEMBER HER NAME"?
There were SO many "HIGH POINTS" of the show, that I can't list them ALL!
About 45 minutes before time to go, someone asked to see the engine, with my very safe hood props, I opened BOTH sides-------"Would you start it"---That drew a BIG CROWD & I let it run, until we left! Most folks are somewhat knowledgeable of Model A's, some call them Model T's, mistakenly, SO, be nice & give them a BRIEF, Model A-101.
Backing them in to the curb gives spectators a GREAT view from the street & from the sidewalk behind the cars. Leaning or sitting in front of the buildings behind the cars, gives us a good chance to answer peoples' questions.
Minerva wuz painted in 1996 with BLACK Lacquer, an old Japanese Man asked, "Did you JUST paint her"?---"Why do you ask"?---"She looks SOOO SHINY"!!
But, honestly, IF Minerva had been a 10,000 POINT CAR, I would have left her at HOME!!
Bill W.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #42
FL&WVMIKE

My V8s are 30 footers and I don't mind people being interested in them and looking inside. I like to stay close and just watch for the idiots. I have only had to something a few times in over 50 years.
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:18 PM   #43
Willie Krash

I've been lucky and people have been respectful. My cars are drivers. With my Model T I let any and everybody sit in it and take pictures. The only reason I don't with the A is people use the steering wheel to pull themselves in.....
I don't want people scratching my cars, that's my job!
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:21 PM   #44
Gabalus

Last week, a man I don't know, came to me, opened driver's door, sat in and try to open the hood !!!
Gabalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:12 PM   #45
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabalus View Post
Last week, a man I don't know, came to me, opened driver's door, sat in and try to open the hood !!!
Sounds like ME, after not driving my truck for awhile, hood wouldn't pop up. Even stood beside it, held the release, tapped on the hood, NO DICE!
Did you know that a 2004 Dodge Kadotas' hood & park brake release look/feel IDENTICAL
Bill W.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #46
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill williamson View Post
sounds like me, after not driving my truck for awhile, hood wouldn't pop up. Even stood beside it, held the release, tapped on the hood, no dice!
did you know that a 2004 dodge kadotas' hood & park brake release look/feel identical:d
bill w.
lmao
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:37 PM   #47
prpmmp

Was at a outdoor show and a Father with his son who appeared to have Down Syndrome(I hope thats the correct term)were taking pictures,He had his son stand beside the front of a early Mustang when his son put down a cup of coffee he was carrying on the hood to pose for the picture. His Father darted toward his son damn near hurting himself to get the coffee off the car,The owner comely walk over and said everything was OK, Put the cup back on the hood and told them to shoot away!! CLASS ACT!! Pete
prpmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:05 PM   #48
dumb person

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFIU-KMWqSM
Video of some old people breaking a truck, wrenching the door handles off, breaking the locks, bending hood latches and denting the hood.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:17 PM   #49
BILL WILLIAMSON

For every 1 ASSHOLE, there's a MILLION really GREAT folks & most of them are MODEL A OWNERS!
Bill W.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:25 PM   #50
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
lmao
Betcha' you WOULDN'T let me work on one uf yo' OWN SLEDS?? Didya' ever git thet VESPA runnin'?
Idiot Dad W.

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 06-21-2015 at 04:26 PM. Reason: mispeled a wurd
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #51
Ted Duke

HaHa, another dirty old man. Treat the kids right and they will respect you!
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #52
Ted Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lona View Post
There seem to be two types of owners. Some with fully restored trailer queens are certainly justified in their feelings that their cars should not be touched. The beauty of these vehicles invites close inspection and a sometimes overwhelming desire to touch. Because of the growing lack of respect for other's property, these owners would be advised to remain close to their cars at shows to prevent them from being damaged.

On the other hand, those of us with 10 or 20 footers can be more permissive, letting folks touch and sit in our cars. Ours is a dying hobby and anything we can do to encourage the younger generation to have an interest in being custodians of our cars when we are gone is important. At shows, I welcome anyone to touch, climb in and take pictures.

Glen
Well said!
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:10 PM   #53
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Duke View Post
Well said!
yes it was
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:21 PM   #54
heneste

I've had all sorts of experiences with people and the car. Most are well behaved and respectful but some try and sit their toddler on the fender to take a picture while others let their kids stand on the please do not touch sign.
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:04 PM   #55
burner31

Just got back from Wal-mart, the way some of the folks acted it's as if they've only seen an Model A in the movies.
All were very respectful, I know, surprising for Wally Mart, but hey, this is Shawnee
Okie -homa, the HeartLand of America.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:33 AM   #56
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabalus View Post
You should have asked his for his keys so you could take his car for a spin.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:36 AM   #57
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Yes, I do allow people to touch and sit in my car, but this only happens if I think they have a real interest in the car and either ask if they would like to have a seat of if they ask me. I do get a little hot under the collar when they just walk over and open the door on their own.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:20 AM   #58
monto

It is simple. As repeatedly stated above, whether you are 'No Touch' or 'Yes Touch', stay close to your car. That way you have best control over desired behavior relative to your vehicle.
monto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:43 AM   #59
Cool Hand Lurker

The car is not crystal, the hand prints will wipe off. When someone comes up all you have to do is get up off your chair, smile, talk to them. You know, like you are there to share your car and enjoy yourself.

If kids come up I open the door for them and let them sit in the car, grab the steering wheel, honk the horn, and smile. I even take them for a ride if possible. BIG smiles. Priceless. And I always get a thank you from the parents.

That is what I am there for but if you just want to see your car sit there and sparkle like a diamond ring, maybe you could invest in a rope barrier like they have in theaters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red-carpet.jpg (15.6 KB, 0 views)
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:46 PM   #60
Jim Huseby

Interesting subject. It brings back memories. In '52 or '53 my dad had his '40 Lincoln sitting on the lawn with a battery charger on it...maybe the grass was wet, maybe there was insufficient ground, anyway one of my clearest early childhood memories was the 60 cycle shock. In '56 we moved to a farm and put up electric fences. He had then what we would term today a blue ribbon class '29 phaeton and was continually frustrated with inconsiderate (a polite term) people and their children who would stand just ahead of the running board on the fender then twist around. Most shoe soles then were hard leather. And of course I have had a life time of the same frustrations because, sorry guys, I do hate scratches and finger prints. So all I'm saying is that I have never followed through with the idea having to do with a fence charger. It's probably been done in the past. BTW, it was a great childhood, Dad wold make us take off our shoes before getting in the car and check our pockets for sharp objects. One time, about 1959, slacks with a little belt buckle on the back of the waist was the young men's style. I was about nine and thought I was really with it because Mom had bought my brother and me those snappy pants. As we approached the car, Dad calmly stopped us and cut off the buckles with his pocket knife. 'No hard feelings, even from Mom, as arguments with Dad were not an option. I loved that guy. Happy late fathers day, everyone.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote