Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-30-2015, 09:44 PM   #1
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

Default How do you clean a red steering wheel and where can you buy a quality ammeter?

What do you use to clean an original red steering wheel and whats the best way to clean it?

Who sells a quality 20 amp ammeter? The last repo i bought a number of years ago was loose fitting and poor quality.

Thanks, Neil
[email protected]
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:35 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: How do you clean a red steering wheel and where can you buy a quality ammeter?

You need to find an original ammeter if you want a good quality one.

I clean my red steering wheel with a damp cloth, but it will still leave a mess on your clothes after it sets overnight and get damp. I keep an old towel handy to wipe it down before I climb in the car if it's damp. I've wondered if car wax, ssuch as Turtle Wax would be any help?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:39 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: How do you clean a red steering wheel and where can you buy a quality ammeter?

The original steering wheels are deteriorating. Once cleaned you need to seal it. Try using butchers wax.

While we wait for the good ammeters to be build (do a search for details) you need to find an original sorry to say.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:27 PM   #4
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

Thank you for the original ammeter suggestions. It reminded me of a drawer of small original parts that I have. In it I found what look like two original ammeters. I will take some pictures and post them tomorrow. One ammeter has an indented area on the back. The other does not.

The steering wheel is dirty. Is there a safe product that I can clean it with?
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:43 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Liquid dish soap in warm water and scrubbing it with an old toothbrush should work fine.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:15 AM   #6
Dollar Bill

"I've wondered if car wax, such as Turtle Wax would be any help?"

Tom, I think Turtle Wax would just make it slick without really sealing it. I've used liquid floor wax with good results on Bakelite. May take a couple of coats to look even. Strips off fairly easy if you don't like it.

Last edited by Dollar Bill; 03-31-2015 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Clarity
Dollar Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:28 AM   #7
marc hildebrant

I have restored old Bakelite material by heating the material up with a heat gun (warm to the touch) and wiping Vaseline on the Bakelite. The Vaseline helps to restore the material and it looks "new".

After wiping on the Vaseline, let it sit a bit and then wipe off the excess. Repeat if needed.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:57 AM   #8
Joe K

I've used black lacquer on black steering wheels. It forms a hard shellac coating (lac of course is/was the dried excretion of lac beetles.)

Lacquer is available in clear, of course a synthetic shellac coating.

Be careful choosing a lacquer. A lot of what is out there is urethane in a high volatile propellant. And Eastwood has (expensive) two part/mix nozzle clear-coat system which is NOT lacquer.

Dupli-color seems to have a true clear lacquer in rattle can.

Joe K
Old 03-31-2015, 11:11 AM   #9
GordonJ

On black wheels, I have had decent success with hand lotion (good quality stuff). I put it on thickly and then wipe until it doesn't feel greasy. It prevents the black from coming off and is easy to redo if the wheel begins drying out.
GordonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:45 PM   #10
modelAsteve

On my black steering wheels I use alcohol. Takes about 3 wipe downs and you're ready to go for about a year. Never thought about wax- will try that after next cleaning.
modelAsteve is offline   Reply With Quote