Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-07-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
rocket1

Unhappy Model A destruction

In the latest copy of street rodder they destroy a really nice 30 coupe,we all should try not to sell to these butchers,they can use glass bodies and repro parts.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
Anteek29

Default Re: Model A destruction

I'm a Model A purist...breaks my heart to see them 'rodded'.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:43 PM   #3
Keith True

I like to keep them stock too.But,until the A guys start dishing out the money the rod guys do it will keep happening.I've tried to save a couple by buying them myself,but in the end they went to rodders.I had a solid straight 29 coupe,parked for about 50 years undercover.I bought it for about $8000.That is what I had to pay to top the rodders offer.After a year I sold it to another rodder.Most of the A guys were offering around $3500.After listening to 20 or 30 A guys telling me it was gonna cost them $3000.for this and $5000.for that I hung a picture and price in a store that sells rod components.A couple of guys showed up,took a careful look at the body,and counted out the $8000.I had paid for it.I felt it was really too much money for the car,but I was hoping somebody might like a solid straight car to do from the ground up.That never happened.I bought an LB interior from a 31 Tudor from the guys that bought the coupe.They had taken it out of another car they had rodded.I paid $450.for it,and they did a great job taking it out.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:32 PM   #4
todd3131

Are you talking about the green coupe with yellow frame? Body was chaneled over the frame?
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:05 PM   #5
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I like to keep them stock too.But,until the A guys start dishing out the money the rod guys do it will keep happening....
Keith, I agree. Being a "Hot Roddder" myself (Tho I never hot rodded an "A") when I decided I wanted a stock A I could drive around I went into it thinking to pay a top amount for the car I wanted.

After purchasing a 1930 Town Sedan (see picture) what I hear mostly from "A" guys is I paid too much... Maybe I did, but I'm happy with it and that's all that matters.

My point here is Hot Rodders are willing to pay the price and if A people aren't going to change their way of thinking the "barn finds" and non-points cars are going to be Hot Rodded.

86°F @ Redondo Beach, CA today.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 03-14-2016 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Reinstalled missing picture...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #6
Big hammer

Supply and demand, should make originals worth more for each rodded A
I would not destroy an A
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:42 PM   #7
ModelAMike1930

It really breaks my heart to see a really solid model a of any kind chopped up and or rat rodded. I really think they look ugly with the fenders removed and big tires. I like to see the bumpers on them too..A stock model a ford is a thing of beauty.
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #8
Bulligen

I do agree tho that the old timer Model A Guys don't want the hobby to get expensive, but remember most of the older guys are the same guys that bought their cars for $1,500 or $2,000 running and driving 40 years ago. Prices have changed! I like low prices too but have sold Model As and like has been said the older restoration guys want to buy them for prices from the 70s and 80s! When the younger guys will pay up for nice cars. I am 60 , I remember those days well and wish I was there again but times have changed boys we must change with it or be left behind!
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:58 PM   #9
Not George

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1 View Post
In the latest copy of street rodder they destroy a really nice 30 coupe,we all should try not to sell to these butchers,they can use glass bodies and repro parts.
Sounds like you are reading Street Rodder. Your'e not one of those butchers are you?
Just kidding, please take no offense, but you had to see it someplace.
Not George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:00 PM   #10
Keith True

I never would try to guess at a price for something other than in my own area.And,that would only be for unrestored cars.I've only sold a couple of A's that I've owned but I've sold a few for other people.I treat selling an A like I treat selling a british bike.I point the people at it,tell them the price,and leave them alone.I'll answer any questions and tell them anything I know about it,but the price is the price,and the buyer can say either yes or no.I was selling a Tudor a few years ago that a buyer was trying to subtract so much repair work I was going to have to give him money to take it away.An old fellow here in town passed away and his wife wanted to sell his 31 Tudor.Solid,straight,no interior and the babbit was talking.It had been talking since he bought the car in 1971.Quite a few A guys looked at it,but they all lowbawled her with explanations of having to spend $3-$5000 on the engine.A rodder paid her the $6500.she wanted and the body was on a custom chassis within days.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:31 PM   #11
anteek

I've lived in central Florida most of my life. love Model A's,had dozens,owned,parted,bought,sold,restored and hotrodded. Because of the snowbird's during the winter many referred to Florida as the East coast Whine Country. i got so tired over trying to sell a RESTORER a car for peanuts,only to have him flip it as soon as the title came back,for realistic money. i still work at restoring some but Rodders don't do the crying;they just pay for the privelige of playing with Henry's tin.
anteek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:40 PM   #12
bart78

I like hot rods but would not cut up a nice car. But I don't blame a guy that has the money. To start with a good body. And sells the rest to make some of his money back. How many people have been able to buy a complete running chassis. Because a guy just wanted the body. At a auction today. The restorers did not buy much. But the guys that are into hot rods got more. Most of the stuff will end up at Pates. Some of the guys will pay the money to make their build easier.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:41 PM   #13
todd3131

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd3131 View Post
Are you talking about the green coupe with yellow frame? Body was chaneled over the frame?
If it is the car I think he is talking about it isn't even a model a it is a 32 and he started with a rough car that was an old circle track car and all the restorers turned their noses up to it. They made four million model a fords they don't need to be all restored there are plenty to go around
Old 03-07-2015, 08:53 PM   #14
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd3131 View Post
If it is the car I think he is talking about it isn't even a model a it is a 32 and he started with a rough car that was an old circle track car and all the restorers turned their noses up to it. They made four million model a fords they don't need to be all restored there are plenty to go around
The number made or produced is inconsequential ! The important issue is how many remain that should be restored and not destroyed ! Reality is that the big bankroll will win out and that is indeed sad for our hobby ! I think we are very fortunate that so many have survived !
Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 03-07-2015 at 09:41 PM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:57 PM   #15
bart78

I think there are much more out there. I know of a few places with a bunch of A's. That have not been on the road in a long time. These are places with ten or more. There are still a lot of these places out there. And with these guys passing away now. They will be out there soon.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:07 PM   #16
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart78 View Post
And with these guys passing away now. They will be out there soon.
i suspect they will be crushed soon, because only fools like me are willing to buy them, everyone else turns their nose up at it.

My car has new tires, 500 miles on them, they will rot away before they wear out because nobody wants the damn thing, i built it to be an every day driver (can't afford to run it though) and people tell me i should pay them to take it away.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:11 PM   #17
todd3131

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
The number made or produced is inconsequential ! The important issue is how many remain that should be restored and not destroyed ! Reality ud that the big bankroll will win out and that is indeed sad for our hobby ! I think we are very fortunate that so many have survived !
Wayne
Why do they need to be restored? What real difference is it going to make either way now if you want to talk about a rare care like my 34 Buick that there are a few hundred of or the roadmaster convert that I am restoring now they are rare it would be a shame to streetrod
Old 03-07-2015, 09:20 PM   #18
fredski

Model a;s are not exactly destroyed by rodders. They are still model a,s.

I like the yellow one in the movie American graffity.

Again given the choice if I had to sell would prefer to sell to one
That would keep it as is.

Fredski
fredski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:22 PM   #19
bart78

That was a 32 in American Graffity.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:38 PM   #20
fredski

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart78 View Post
That was a 32 in American Graffity.
I realize that. Just used as an example.
Fred
fredski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:47 PM   #21
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredski View Post
Model a;s are not exactly destroyed by rodders. They are still model a,s.

I like the yellow one in the movie American graffity.

Again given the choice if I had to sell would prefer to sell to one
That would keep it as is.

Fredski
In ur opinion it is still a Model A but that is not an opinion enjoyed by many others including insurance companies and many Motor Vehicle license offices. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 03-08-2015 at 03:30 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #22
bart78

I've never seen an insurance company or or the registration say one is not a model a that did not have everything in line like they should.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:15 PM   #23
BILL WILLIAMSON

Remember, we have fought to preserve our FREEDOM, we can buy, sell, trade, chop up, alter, etc, ANYTHING we want to!!! How do each of you feel, when someone tells you what to do with/to your car?? SO, quit BITCHIN' & go reset all your CLOCKS!
Bill W.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:30 PM   #24
denis4x4

It's obvious from reading the posts here, nobody but the OP read the article. First off, they used an aftermarket frame. They retained the original interior, firewall and gas tank. The object of the story was to show how an A can be rodded without destroying the original body. For instance, they used an electric water pump so the original hood, firewall, radiator and grill shell would remain unmolested. There was some talk of either selling the original running gear or building a speedster.
For the record, I have two fiberglass A powered hot rods and the truck in my avatar was assembled from parts and pieces. Based on some of the responses I'm seeing here, I think that instead of selling my left over cherry A sheet metal for ten cents on the dollar, I'm going to see what the market will bear.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:11 PM   #25
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

We can't save them all.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:23 PM   #26
daveymc29

I bought a like new tool box for my 29 de luxe delivery from a gentleman that had just sold a real high point car to a rodder. The guy brought back the tool box as he had the body on a resto rod frame and didn't need it. Try to find a 32 that is not a rod. Quite a feat to find one, especially a good one, you'll have a bidding war on your hands if it is out there in the public eye. Sad to see so many good cars become better cars, or is it?
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:08 AM   #27
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Remember, we have fought to preserve our FREEDOM, we can buy, sell, trade, chop up, alter, etc, ANYTHING we want to!!! How do each of you feel, when someone tells you what to do with/to your car?? SO, quit BITCHIN' & go reset all your CLOCKS!
Bill W.
Ha,ha. Good to see you back Bill!!!
Old 03-08-2015, 10:45 AM   #28
Not George

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Bill W.
Way to go Bill!
Not George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:59 AM   #29
wheeldog57

not all hot rod a's come from mint or even good condition cars. yes we hot rodders all want to start with a perfect donor car, but the reality is we get what we can afford. some people have deep pockets but i believe they are the minority. the roadster i am building is comprised from cast-off parts, left overs from friends, and just plain junk. i am recycling these pieces to make a tastefull, traditional hot rod. no stock model a will be harmed to build my hot rods
wheeldog57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:19 AM   #30
George Miller

Bottom line is it is yours to do with as you please. A lot of the complaints come from guys that have cars that are not stock also. They have added a lot of parts that did not come from the factory. Mostly they just do not like hot rods. To build a hot rot from a bunch of parts takes a real car guy.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:46 PM   #31
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Miller View Post
Bottom line is it is yours to do with as you please. A lot of the complaints come from guys that have cars that are not stock also. They have added a lot of parts that did not come from the factory. Mostly they just do not like hot rods. To build a hot rot from a bunch of parts takes a real car guy.
I get a lot of grief from people complaining that I "Hot Rodded" my '55 Ford Ranchwagon also. What they don't know is the Title says "SALVAGED" and if it hadn't been saved it would be a Honda or something by now...

Old 03-08-2015, 02:16 PM   #32
Cool Hand Lurker

The really sad thing is that there are a lot of projects that never get finished. A nice Model A gets ripped apart to make a street rod and the guy doesn't have the time or tools or friends or money to complete the job. Or a nice, complete, solid Model A gets torn down to be restored and the same thing happens. No time, tools, friends or money to complete the job.
If you don't have the time, tools, friends or money to complete the job, then leave it as it was!
Oh yeah, if you do complete the project, be sure you do it LIKE I THINK YOU SHOULD DO IT.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:08 PM   #33
Keith True

You hit the nail right on the head.I say I don't like to see cars cut up for rods,but it is more important to me that they actually finish it.It used to be that if a car was taken apart for a rod most likely it would get completed.Not so much with a stock A.When I was a kid it seemed like folks would retire with the plan to fix up an old A like they rode in when they were young.They would buy a car,set the garage up,take it apart,and the ambition would peter out.Now,with the TV shows I think it has gone the other way.People get big ideas and can get a car,get it home,and maybe even take it apart.Then the couch and TV wins out over actually going out and doing some work.Then the car goes outside,sometimes under a tent,or a tarp.Then the tent caves in,and the tarp rips up and blows away.The parts that were in the garage might or might not get put with the car,a lot of times they go to the dump.Things are usually terminal at that point.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #34
pgerhardt

I have decided to go with one of Randy Gross's F -100 steering boxes, a Mitchell transmission, Bill Stipe shocks, and a Powermaster Ford PowerGEN Model A Alternator to build a sweet touring 29 Tudor.

OMG I AM A RODDER!
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:37 PM   #35
pooch

On the other side of the fence, I saw a sticker on the back of a nice rod....it said...

Rescued from a Restorer.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:17 PM   #36
colin1928

Hot Rodding is a bigger business then restoring and a large % of what keeps our vendors and reproduction manufactures in business giving us options
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:00 PM   #37
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
Supply and demand, should make originals worth more for each rodded A
I would not destroy an A

100% agree here, that's just my take I like restored over rodded.

But the rodders are after bodies, SO I guess on the flip side a lot of good chassis-drivetrain-wheel parts will be up for grabs

Hope they leave the fine point cars alone we need something to compare to.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:17 PM   #38
Curt Campbell

It's really no one else's business what I or anyone else does to the car they have sold or bought. I would rather original cars not be rodded...but it's not my call. It seems to me that a large majority of people never finish their restoration...they get quickly taken apart and sit in boxes and undone for a generation or more. If you don't want original cars rodded buy them all when for sale and let them sit in your barn and rot away. A rodded model a is being preserved....just not the way you like. Tough.

These posts are a waste of time.
Curt Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:41 PM   #39
Tom Wesenberg

Here's one more example of taking a good body and butchering it, throwing it on some homebuilt frame, then putting it up for sale. It's going to take a ton of work and money to make this even fit for the road, never mind how it looks. It would have been cheaper to keep it original and it would be on the road in short order, as well as look better.
I don't care if my Tudor is worth more now that another one is lost forever, it's still a waste of a good car.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-A...#ht_134wt_1238
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:02 PM   #40
pooch

I would like to know what the OP is looking at to say Model A destruction....

How about a scan of the mag ?

I am a rodder but do not like any part of a usable original body being hacked either .

These old skool top chops look ugly now.

I reckon to top chop a 28 pickup makes it resemble a landcruiser FJ40 from a distance.

I have no qualms about making an 85 year old car safer and easier to drive by upgrading the mechanicals .

My pickup needed room under where the gas tank is for computers and heater/demister etc, and it came with a nicely restored gas tank.

I put that aside and bought a rusted out $30 tank and plasma'd the arse out of that one instead.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:10 PM   #41
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not George View Post
Sounds like you are reading Street Rodder. Your'e not one of those butchers are you?
Just kidding, please take no offense, but you had to see it someplace.
Careful, one of the best articles on the installation of wood in a steelback 190A I found came from a Hot Rod magazine (Web site).

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/additio...d-framing-kit/

They have their place.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:55 AM   #42
Chuck Sea/Tac

A hot rod is worth more, as a rule, then a stock A. Therefore they aren't throwing money away by paying a high price. And in reverse, a model Aer can't "afford" the higher price a rodder can because the car isn't going to be worth what he's put in it anyway.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:00 AM   #43
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
A hot rod is worth more, as a rule, then a stock A. Therefore they aren't throwing money away by paying a high price. And in reverse, a model Aer can't "afford" the higher price a rodder can because the car isn't going to be worth what he's put in it anyway.

Yes, and the reason the rod is worth more is because it has a wider audience of buyers of all ages.

And this is because they are more usable .

Sure there are some younger guys into stockies, but the norm is old farts with one foot in the grave.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:00 AM   #44
gweilbaker

Actually the article is about lifting the body and fenders off the chassis and locating them on a rod chassis without butchering the "A" stuff. I was put off by the article too but who knows the history of the car, it could have been a basket of parts. I think the article said the original chassis, which has mods, may get a reproduction roadster body.
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:03 AM   #45
JonC

I have turned a model A into a hot rod and I made money doing it. Now I would prefer to leave them stock and enjoy the car for what it is, a nice ride back in time. If I want to go fast I will take my new Corvette out it is faster than any Hot Rod I have ever seen and a lot more comfortable. There are a lot of nice hot rods out there but there are alot of cars that are junk as well, and that is my problem. All ages of kids see a hot rod and say wow I should build one of those and go out and now find a nice restored car, take it apart with all the plans to build one, most often they get over their head and the project sits ( magazines make it look so easy) or gets sold for the pennies on the dollar that we restores are told we sell ours for. When a restorable car sits it is always of value and will be appreciated for many years just like our A's are now, will hot rods go out of fashion, or be appreciated 80 yeras from now, I am not sure. When I do go the Rod shows I see cookie cutter cars with 350 Chevys in them and very few cars that stop me for a close look, but I always want to see a nice A or stock 32 or even my 40 pickup. I am not a purest, I have been known to put dual exhaust and carbs on my old fords, I just don't believe in cutting them up. Every one has a right to do as they wish, but I think as the yonger guys get older they will come to appreciate the old cars as they are.
JonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #46
mshmodela

In a word, brainless!

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #47
Tom Wesenberg

Lets see now........you take a Model A, which doesn't have extra room to start with, then you chop the top to lower it 4 inches..............yep, I guess that makes sense.

I wonder why the hot rod crowd comes to a restoration site to push their chop-em-up agenda? There are plenty of rod sites to hang out in.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 03-09-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:31 PM   #48
David BB 33

Thanks for the injection of sanity into the thread, Tom.

David
David BB 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:06 PM   #49
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I wonder why the hot rod crowd comes to a restoration site to push their chop-em-up agenda? There are plenty of rod sites to hang out in.
Tom, this thread was started by a hard core Model A guy that obviously never read past the first paragraph of the two part article. Again, absolutely nothing was done to the body, fenders, firewall, interior, gas tank, hood or radiator that would qualify as "destruction". It's a '30 coupe, two tone brown with straw 16" wheels and was purchased in Phoenix. There was one modification to the front fender braces to clear the shocks on the TCI frame. The stock frame and running gear may be made into a speedster. For what ever it's worth, I'll bet that there's more ' barners hanging out on the HAMB then the other way around.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:48 PM   #50
pooch

I just wish Ryan would make a model A modified forum.

Whenever I ask a question in the HAMB, it is 4 pages down within 24 hours and buried .
Old 03-09-2015, 04:01 PM   #51
Chuck Sea/Tac

Pooch: the old fart with one foot in the grave comment is a little hurtful, albeit semi true!
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:03 PM   #52
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Lets see now........you take a Model A, which doesn't have extra room to start with, then you chop the top to lower it 4 inches..............yep, I guess that makes sense.

A wise man has spoken ! Your point is well made Tom and supported by many and likely most Barners !
Wayne
Old 03-09-2015, 04:14 PM   #53
fiddlybits

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
I just wish Ryan would make a model A modified forum.
But what is a model A modified?

inserts instead of babbits?
A fusebox?
the "wrong" colors? (I caught the holy wrath of a stranger because I painted a part bright yellow)

I am restoring a 29 tudor chassis that is working its way to becoming a huckster..I have the tudor body and fenders. . does that make me a destroyer, a creator, a modifier or just evil? (and the answer is irrelevant to me because my answer is "It's mine and I'm going to make it F U N".)
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #54
pooch

It is funny when some speak of this being a strictly restoration site, and the topics are....

Inserts.
Touring cams.
Mitchell OD/s
Ted's floaters
Hi comp heads.
F100 steering boxes.
Shortened pitman arms.
EVR/s
T5/s.
Alternators.
LED/s.

The list goes on .
Old 03-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #55
Synchro909

Over here, for a car to be called a certain model, it must have 5 of the 7 major components and the remaining 2 must be period. The components are:
  • Radiator
  • chassis
  • engine
  • gearbox
  • front end
  • rear end
  • steering column
I find it interesting that the Body is not considered important yet that is what hot rodders use to make their cars. It puzzles me how they can keep a straight face when they call their rod a say, 1929 Model A when it only has some of the body of one of those and none of the major components.
That said, some of these hot rodders do some nice work and I admire that when I see it.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:45 PM   #56
Cool Hand Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Over here, for a car to be called a certain model, it must have 5 of the 7 major components and the remaining 2 must be period. The components are:
  • Radiator
  • chassis
  • engine
  • gearbox
  • front end
  • rear end
  • steering column
I find it interesting that the Body is not considered important yet that is what hot rodders use to make their cars. It puzzles me how they can keep a straight face when they call their rod a say, 1929 Model A when it only has some of the body of one of those and none of the major components.
That said, some of these hot rodders do some nice work and I admire that when I see it.

YUP ! Well put.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #57
1931 flamingo

I'll bet in the not too distant future many more will be modified as the people with one foot in the grave drag the other one with it. None of us are getting any younger for sure. Probably none of us have enough money (or space) to buy another one if it comes on the market, but the hot rodder/modifier will. They'll also probably buy at a reduced price as the quantity of cars increases.
Think about it. How many A's are still out there that you never see, or just for the parade.

JMO FWIW

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:07 PM   #58
Keith True

A couple of fellows showed up here to take a look at my 30 Standard Roadster.I didn't really have it for sale,but I did have it up to trade.I'm not sure if they worked for a TV show or not.I got the impression they were making a show to peddle to the TV people.They wanted to buy my original car to rod on film.They were after the shock value of taking a running,driving,low mile barn car and tearing into it on film.They offered more than it is probably worth,but I'm not somebody that worships money.If they had the right car to trade me they would have owned it though.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:20 PM   #59
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
It is funny when some speak of this being a strictly restoration site, and the topics are....

Inserts.
Touring cams.
Mitchell OD/s
Ted's floaters
Hi comp heads.
F100 steering boxes.
Shortened pitman arms.
EVR/s
T5/s.
Alternators.
LED/s.

The list goes on .
I cannot agree with you more! When those that want to "nit pick" ask their questions and are attacked for it, it is proof enough for me that there is a need for a modified section of this site or the admin needs to close down the threads and send them to HAMB. I would rather see the modified section.

The problem with getting a modified section is that the owner of the site is a hot rod guy and not a restoration guy and sees nothing wrong with modifications to a stock car.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:25 AM   #60
hop2it

I too agree that a complete original car would be better left alone, however it is ultamatly the owners choice as long as it doesn't turn into corn flakes have at it.with this being said I have seen more hot rods that were made from bodys dragged out of ravines,deserts and fields than have been made from restored original cars.what bothers me more is the 34 ford roadster that I watched turn to dust 30 years after I was told "I'm going to restore it"I asked about it many times only to be told the same thing.
Doug
hop2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #61
George Miller

I watched turn to dust 30 years after I was told "I'm going to restore it"I asked about it many times only to be told the same thing.
__________________________________________________ ______________

I have seen the same thing many times. in fact my 1928 Sport Coupe was one of those cars. A friend got the car in 1960, tore it all apart. It sat there until I got it in July of 2000. Had it on the road in Sept. Put 20,000 miles on since then.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:51 AM   #62
Charlville

For what it's worth I actually think over restoring an original is almost as bad?
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:50 AM   #63
C26Pinelake
BANNED

What is your definition of over restore ?
Wayne
Old 03-11-2015, 08:19 AM   #64
Vonn Ditch

I going out in the garage right now and hot rod my Model A roadster and ya'll can't stop me.
Vonn Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:43 AM   #65
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonn Ditch View Post
I going out in the garage right now and hot rod my Model A roadster and ya'll can't stop me.
Please send us a picture when you are finished !
Wayne
Old 03-13-2015, 03:09 PM   #66
Manager

Destroyed mine too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flash headlight bar 002.jpg (72.9 KB, 121 views)
Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:11 PM   #67
pooch

You BUTCHER !!

You have hot rod wheels on that 28.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #68
denis4x4

At least some A guys still have a sense of humor!
Old 03-13-2015, 04:31 PM   #69
BILL WILLIAMSON

This thread is PATHETIC, folks have been hotrodding old Fords, since they first existed. Just looking at a stack of Hot Rod magazines, in 4 or 5 pages of ads, you can buy enough parts to build a HOTROD!! THEN, you only need an assembler, a paint guy, an upholsterer, etc, VOILLE' A HOTROD!!
Wish they would put as much quality in stock parts--The Dog jist LAFFED!!
Bill W.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:10 AM   #70
olut

all you need is a plan. Once you know, what the final product has to look like, you should know what to expect.
When I bought the top open pickup 1929, I was a greenhorn, did not understand much about "A"s and had to learn a lot during the technical restoration, the body was pretty ok, the gas tank was a mass.
Knowing all that and also knowing the necessary budget, the second purchase, a 1929 Phaeton was already a better calculated deal. Still, the extend of necessary restoration is known, as soon as you remove body from frame.
Another recommendation for those of you, how start in this: there are two options: Either you buy a perfectly restored vehicle (make sure, it is perfectly restored also in technical matters with original fitting parts) and pay more, a lot more, in average US$ 30.000,- and up...
...OR, you are either skilled yourself or know a perfectly skilled mechanic doing the restoration job, paying far less for the vehicle but pumping in at least 10.000,-- without engine or 15.000,-- with engine.

However you do restoration, I highly recommend to use original replacement parts, not just some screws, use the original type of screws, just follow the judgment guidelines.

My recent baby, the 1929 Phaeton from Florida was purchased for US$ 14.800,-- shipping to Austria was another 6.000,-- and now we are investing about 10.000,-- into body, the mechanic condition is very good and has already been properly restored... So at the end, it will be a 30.000,-- investment and that is pretty good in range, resale value in Europe is about 40.000,--

Cheers
Happy A-cruisin...
Old 03-14-2016, 06:18 AM   #71
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Remember well back in the 1960s when I was active in antique car club activities in New England. Preservationist - owners were always spouting off stuff such as . . . "At least this is one more saved car that the hot rodders won't get".

It still amazes me now a half-century later to see all these so-called "barn find" cars finding their way to the market place. Many of the dust covered dilapidated vehicles seem to be decades old poor quality amateur "restorations". On "You Tube" there are now all sorts of videos showing serious guys ripping apart Model A Ford cars for their deep chop and channel "shabby chic" "rat rod" jobs. Thing is . . . many of the hot rod projects look to be skillfully done reworks of otherwise Bondo patched-up rust bucket cars. Still, I sometimes think, that those now long departed past owner "restorers" must be spinning in their graves.

Last edited by Capt Quahog; 03-14-2016 at 06:33 AM.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:38 AM   #72
Pinesdune

Just my two cents. I have no problem with hot rods or the most pure A that can be built. This is a hobby, we each have a vision of what we want for ourselves in our car. Whether it be a trailer queen that goes to fine point or to a Vegas drag strip or one that takes us on a grocery run. ALL are beautiful cars when done properly. The most sacrilegious thing that can be done to a car is let it rot, that only being trumped by tearing into it first/unskilfully hack-mod it. I would hazard to guess over 90% of the A's are rodded in some fashion. Whether it be small blocks, or a high compression head. At least the ones that are on the road are being enjoyed by someone. Rodders are not destroyers, they just have a different vision. The deeper issue is that the ol timers are seeing what they preserved for the next generation being, in their eyes, destroyed.

Looking for the front bumper emblem that has "Ford, Made In Canada"
Pinesdune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #73
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I never would try to guess at a price for something other than in my own area.And,that would only be for unrestored cars.I've only sold a couple of A's that I've owned but I've sold a few for other people.I treat selling an A like I treat selling a british bike.I point the people at it,tell them the price,and leave them alone.I'll answer any questions and tell them anything I know about it, but the price is the price,and the buyer can say either yes or no.I was selling a Tudor a few years ago that a buyer was trying to subtract so much repair work I was going to have to give him money to take it away.An old fellow here in town passed away and his wife wanted to sell his 31 Tudor.Solid,straight,no interior and the babbit was talking.It had been talking since he bought the car in 1971.Quite a few A guys looked at it,but they all lowbawled her with explanations of having to spend $3-$5000 on the engine.A rodder paid her the $6500.she wanted and the body was on a custom chassis within days.
I like that philosophy!

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:29 AM   #74
STEPHEN FIELDS

I was raised around a Model A restorer, my Uncle Henry....He HATED hot rods til the day he died. I once had a copy of Rod&Kulture on the dinner table....his eyesight was going by this time, he knew there was a Model A on the cover but couldn't tell anymore than that...he put it real close to his face, once he realized it was a hot rod; he cursed and threw the magazine back down. I miss that guy. Model A guys are hard core
STEPHEN FIELDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:01 PM   #75
1Tudoor

Old cars & a good dog have my kind of whine & the rest are all humorous w/ a nice glass of wine
1Tudoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:12 PM   #76
Fred K-OR

If you follow the ads on EBay for "Model A's" it seems as time goes on more of the rigs advertised are "rodded". But that seems to be the way it is. Not good for the purest but the rodders seem to be doing OK.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:17 PM   #77
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

I don't know what you paid for it, but it sure is a nice looking car.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:43 PM   #78
mshmodela

A true shame... and why the 1932-1934 fords in historic condition as so rare... Anyway, I'll give Ms. Daisy to a good home worse case before anyone were to pimp her out...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:19 PM   #79
Tinbasher

Yup, Everyone has a different Dream. I've seen them all, The Good, The Bad and The ugly.
4 Wheels come in many packages. I enjoy the challenge of Restoration and enjoy the ability to create with Hot Rods and Customs, Race Cars, Etc.

John Poole. The Old Tinbasher. 140 builds and counting.
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:04 PM   #80
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1 View Post
Paid several thousands of dollars over market price for our Tudor at farmyard auction of an acquaintance's estate. Once I looked it over I fell for it and could not let it go to the hotrodder I was bidding against.

Best thing I ever did in my years of vehicle ownership.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:23 PM   #81
Hitchhiker

This is my truck. I consider it a hot rod. It had 7 holes drilled in it to make it a "hot rod" and I have all the removed parts set aside.

also...

It gets driven everyday.

Is it ruined?

FYI still banger powered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151111_133141.jpg (69.1 KB, 33 views)
Old 03-17-2016, 06:54 AM   #82
Charlville

This is my 1929 Sport Coupe.

When I got it already had 16" wheels, hydraulic brakes, electronic ignition. Albeit a number of the modifications were not done to the highest standards. In some cases I was unable to go back to stock even if I wanted to, so I've improved the modifications. It's still a Model A and I love it!
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:50 AM   #83
Keith True

There was an A coupe owned by a scrapyard owner near me.He had owned it since the 50's,tinkered it up a little,dual sidemounts,rumble,cowl lights,kind of what you would expect back then.After he died his widow looked at some prices and thought it was worth a fortune.It really was too high,and she did adjust the price once she discovered the facts.Everybody that knew the car was after it to build a rod with.She held out to sell it to somebody that would keep it original.One of her husbands former customers showed up,wanting to buy it.He told her how he wanted to keep it just the way he had been seeing it for the last 30 years.She dropped the price some more,he bought it,and the body was off it that afternoon.I got the fenders and frame,my friend got the engine and axles,the parts went all over the area.He told her what she wanted to hear,and as he put it,the junkyard was closed,so he wouldn't be doing business there again anyway.He waited a couple of months before selling off the parts,but the word had gotten back to her the day after he bought it.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:51 AM   #84
Bob-A

Talking Re: Model A destruction

Well, I guess I will say my words on this matter: I don't like "crap"-rods or "muscle-head" cars! Sorry, it's just my opinion. I might not like your
idea of a car. BUT, I will defend your right to have that idea to the death.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:56 AM   #85
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonn Ditch View Post
Well did you do it?
Old 03-17-2016, 08:10 AM   #86
Rex_A_Lott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker View Post
This is my truck. I consider it a hot rod. It had 7 holes drilled in it to make it a "hot rod" and I have all the removed parts set aside.

also...

It gets driven everyday.

Is it ruined?

FYI still banger powered.
Yes, you ruined it. You might as well give it to me, so you wont have to look at it every day.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:13 AM   #87
Model A Man

I love all old cars. The good the bad and ugly. Stock or rodded. The 31 coupe I have is most likely to get a more modern motor. I cant see paying $5000.00 plus for a stock model A motor rebuild just to have problems with the motor in a short time like I read about in post here on ford barn. I will probably go with something like a TCI chassis and a small block. Until the price of model a motor rebuilds come down to the cost of a small block crate motor and built without recurring problems that is the route I am going to take. That is my 3 cents on the subject.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:02 AM   #88
BILL WILLIAMSON

I can't believe I read this WHOLE thing, AGAIN!
Oh well, REPITITION is the MOTHER of lurnin' & the FATHER of BOREDOM!
Bill Ditto
Old 03-17-2016, 10:16 AM   #89
1Tudoor

[QUOTE= I will probably go with something like a TCI chassis and a small block. Until the price of model a motor rebuilds come down to the cost of a small block crate motor and built without recurring problems that is the route I am going to take. That is my 3 cents on the subject.[/QUOTE]

TCI frame w/ sbc in my avatar--this is how I bought it --newly professionally built for 12k --how could I resist ?
My gorgeous 31 Tudoor is totally stock & will remain so .

31 Ford coupe sbc
31 Ford Tudoor
38 Ford coupe sbc
35 Chev 3 window sbc
52 Chev Styline coupe
40 Willys 4 door sbc
the above is subject to change @ the right deal
1Tudoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:25 AM   #90
ford31

story few years ago I was going thru Paris,MO was a 29 fordor very nice inside and out,asked his price was ok,but had an offer,person was going to street rod it,asked if he would give me 24 hours before taking offer,he said he would,I contacted couple friends,1 of them bought the A,I saw it again few years back in parade in home town Eldon,MO,
ford31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #91
Russ B

There were millions of Model A's built. They were simply built for everyday use by anyone who had a modest income. Folks were hot rodding them before they were restoring them. I can understand someone being passionate about restoring a truly rare model, but certainly not a coupe, roadster, or Tudor
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:49 PM   #92
CarlG

My Dad drove me home from the hospital in a Model A when I was born.

One of the first things he asked me when I got my current Model A (6 years ago) was "what kind of engine are you going to put in it?" Then commented about several of the cars he had seen over the years with SBC's in them.

In his younger years, if you had a Model A, it was never "stock".

Mine is a long way from being "stock", but I don't ever think of it as a "hot-rod". My step-son's Camaro is a hot-rod! (and it's factory stock)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote