Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-08-2015, 11:10 PM   #41
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Model A destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not George View Post
Sounds like you are reading Street Rodder. Your'e not one of those butchers are you?
Just kidding, please take no offense, but you had to see it someplace.
Careful, one of the best articles on the installation of wood in a steelback 190A I found came from a Hot Rod magazine (Web site).

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/additio...d-framing-kit/

They have their place.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:55 AM   #42
Chuck Sea/Tac

A hot rod is worth more, as a rule, then a stock A. Therefore they aren't throwing money away by paying a high price. And in reverse, a model Aer can't "afford" the higher price a rodder can because the car isn't going to be worth what he's put in it anyway.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:00 AM   #43
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
A hot rod is worth more, as a rule, then a stock A. Therefore they aren't throwing money away by paying a high price. And in reverse, a model Aer can't "afford" the higher price a rodder can because the car isn't going to be worth what he's put in it anyway.

Yes, and the reason the rod is worth more is because it has a wider audience of buyers of all ages.

And this is because they are more usable .

Sure there are some younger guys into stockies, but the norm is old farts with one foot in the grave.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:00 AM   #44
gweilbaker

Actually the article is about lifting the body and fenders off the chassis and locating them on a rod chassis without butchering the "A" stuff. I was put off by the article too but who knows the history of the car, it could have been a basket of parts. I think the article said the original chassis, which has mods, may get a reproduction roadster body.
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:03 AM   #45
JonC

I have turned a model A into a hot rod and I made money doing it. Now I would prefer to leave them stock and enjoy the car for what it is, a nice ride back in time. If I want to go fast I will take my new Corvette out it is faster than any Hot Rod I have ever seen and a lot more comfortable. There are a lot of nice hot rods out there but there are alot of cars that are junk as well, and that is my problem. All ages of kids see a hot rod and say wow I should build one of those and go out and now find a nice restored car, take it apart with all the plans to build one, most often they get over their head and the project sits ( magazines make it look so easy) or gets sold for the pennies on the dollar that we restores are told we sell ours for. When a restorable car sits it is always of value and will be appreciated for many years just like our A's are now, will hot rods go out of fashion, or be appreciated 80 yeras from now, I am not sure. When I do go the Rod shows I see cookie cutter cars with 350 Chevys in them and very few cars that stop me for a close look, but I always want to see a nice A or stock 32 or even my 40 pickup. I am not a purest, I have been known to put dual exhaust and carbs on my old fords, I just don't believe in cutting them up. Every one has a right to do as they wish, but I think as the yonger guys get older they will come to appreciate the old cars as they are.
JonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #46
mshmodela

In a word, brainless!

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #47
Tom Wesenberg

Lets see now........you take a Model A, which doesn't have extra room to start with, then you chop the top to lower it 4 inches..............yep, I guess that makes sense.

I wonder why the hot rod crowd comes to a restoration site to push their chop-em-up agenda? There are plenty of rod sites to hang out in.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 03-09-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:31 PM   #48
David BB 33

Thanks for the injection of sanity into the thread, Tom.

David
David BB 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:06 PM   #49
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I wonder why the hot rod crowd comes to a restoration site to push their chop-em-up agenda? There are plenty of rod sites to hang out in.
Tom, this thread was started by a hard core Model A guy that obviously never read past the first paragraph of the two part article. Again, absolutely nothing was done to the body, fenders, firewall, interior, gas tank, hood or radiator that would qualify as "destruction". It's a '30 coupe, two tone brown with straw 16" wheels and was purchased in Phoenix. There was one modification to the front fender braces to clear the shocks on the TCI frame. The stock frame and running gear may be made into a speedster. For what ever it's worth, I'll bet that there's more ' barners hanging out on the HAMB then the other way around.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:48 PM   #50
pooch

I just wish Ryan would make a model A modified forum.

Whenever I ask a question in the HAMB, it is 4 pages down within 24 hours and buried .
Old 03-09-2015, 04:01 PM   #51
Chuck Sea/Tac

Pooch: the old fart with one foot in the grave comment is a little hurtful, albeit semi true!
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:03 PM   #52
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Lets see now........you take a Model A, which doesn't have extra room to start with, then you chop the top to lower it 4 inches..............yep, I guess that makes sense.

A wise man has spoken ! Your point is well made Tom and supported by many and likely most Barners !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:14 PM   #53
fiddlybits

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
I just wish Ryan would make a model A modified forum.
But what is a model A modified?

inserts instead of babbits?
A fusebox?
the "wrong" colors? (I caught the holy wrath of a stranger because I painted a part bright yellow)

I am restoring a 29 tudor chassis that is working its way to becoming a huckster..I have the tudor body and fenders. . does that make me a destroyer, a creator, a modifier or just evil? (and the answer is irrelevant to me because my answer is "It's mine and I'm going to make it F U N".)
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #54
pooch

It is funny when some speak of this being a strictly restoration site, and the topics are....

Inserts.
Touring cams.
Mitchell OD/s
Ted's floaters
Hi comp heads.
F100 steering boxes.
Shortened pitman arms.
EVR/s
T5/s.
Alternators.
LED/s.

The list goes on .
Old 03-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #55
Synchro909

Over here, for a car to be called a certain model, it must have 5 of the 7 major components and the remaining 2 must be period. The components are:
  • Radiator
  • chassis
  • engine
  • gearbox
  • front end
  • rear end
  • steering column
I find it interesting that the Body is not considered important yet that is what hot rodders use to make their cars. It puzzles me how they can keep a straight face when they call their rod a say, 1929 Model A when it only has some of the body of one of those and none of the major components.
That said, some of these hot rodders do some nice work and I admire that when I see it.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:45 PM   #56
Cool Hand Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Over here, for a car to be called a certain model, it must have 5 of the 7 major components and the remaining 2 must be period. The components are:
  • Radiator
  • chassis
  • engine
  • gearbox
  • front end
  • rear end
  • steering column
I find it interesting that the Body is not considered important yet that is what hot rodders use to make their cars. It puzzles me how they can keep a straight face when they call their rod a say, 1929 Model A when it only has some of the body of one of those and none of the major components.
That said, some of these hot rodders do some nice work and I admire that when I see it.

YUP ! Well put.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #57
1931 flamingo

I'll bet in the not too distant future many more will be modified as the people with one foot in the grave drag the other one with it. None of us are getting any younger for sure. Probably none of us have enough money (or space) to buy another one if it comes on the market, but the hot rodder/modifier will. They'll also probably buy at a reduced price as the quantity of cars increases.
Think about it. How many A's are still out there that you never see, or just for the parade.

JMO FWIW

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:07 PM   #58
Keith True

A couple of fellows showed up here to take a look at my 30 Standard Roadster.I didn't really have it for sale,but I did have it up to trade.I'm not sure if they worked for a TV show or not.I got the impression they were making a show to peddle to the TV people.They wanted to buy my original car to rod on film.They were after the shock value of taking a running,driving,low mile barn car and tearing into it on film.They offered more than it is probably worth,but I'm not somebody that worships money.If they had the right car to trade me they would have owned it though.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:20 PM   #59
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
It is funny when some speak of this being a strictly restoration site, and the topics are....

Inserts.
Touring cams.
Mitchell OD/s
Ted's floaters
Hi comp heads.
F100 steering boxes.
Shortened pitman arms.
EVR/s
T5/s.
Alternators.
LED/s.

The list goes on .
I cannot agree with you more! When those that want to "nit pick" ask their questions and are attacked for it, it is proof enough for me that there is a need for a modified section of this site or the admin needs to close down the threads and send them to HAMB. I would rather see the modified section.

The problem with getting a modified section is that the owner of the site is a hot rod guy and not a restoration guy and sees nothing wrong with modifications to a stock car.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:25 AM   #60
hop2it

I too agree that a complete original car would be better left alone, however it is ultamatly the owners choice as long as it doesn't turn into corn flakes have at it.with this being said I have seen more hot rods that were made from bodys dragged out of ravines,deserts and fields than have been made from restored original cars.what bothers me more is the 34 ford roadster that I watched turn to dust 30 years after I was told "I'm going to restore it"I asked about it many times only to be told the same thing.
Doug
hop2it is offline   Reply With Quote