Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-07-2015, 09:47 PM   #21
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Model A destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredski View Post
Model a;s are not exactly destroyed by rodders. They are still model a,s.

I like the yellow one in the movie American graffity.

Again given the choice if I had to sell would prefer to sell to one
That would keep it as is.

Fredski
In ur opinion it is still a Model A but that is not an opinion enjoyed by many others including insurance companies and many Motor Vehicle license offices. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 03-08-2015 at 03:30 AM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #22
bart78

I've never seen an insurance company or or the registration say one is not a model a that did not have everything in line like they should.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:15 PM   #23
BILL WILLIAMSON

Remember, we have fought to preserve our FREEDOM, we can buy, sell, trade, chop up, alter, etc, ANYTHING we want to!!! How do each of you feel, when someone tells you what to do with/to your car?? SO, quit BITCHIN' & go reset all your CLOCKS!
Bill W.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:30 PM   #24
denis4x4

It's obvious from reading the posts here, nobody but the OP read the article. First off, they used an aftermarket frame. They retained the original interior, firewall and gas tank. The object of the story was to show how an A can be rodded without destroying the original body. For instance, they used an electric water pump so the original hood, firewall, radiator and grill shell would remain unmolested. There was some talk of either selling the original running gear or building a speedster.
For the record, I have two fiberglass A powered hot rods and the truck in my avatar was assembled from parts and pieces. Based on some of the responses I'm seeing here, I think that instead of selling my left over cherry A sheet metal for ten cents on the dollar, I'm going to see what the market will bear.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:11 PM   #25
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

We can't save them all.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:23 PM   #26
daveymc29

I bought a like new tool box for my 29 de luxe delivery from a gentleman that had just sold a real high point car to a rodder. The guy brought back the tool box as he had the body on a resto rod frame and didn't need it. Try to find a 32 that is not a rod. Quite a feat to find one, especially a good one, you'll have a bidding war on your hands if it is out there in the public eye. Sad to see so many good cars become better cars, or is it?
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:08 AM   #27
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Remember, we have fought to preserve our FREEDOM, we can buy, sell, trade, chop up, alter, etc, ANYTHING we want to!!! How do each of you feel, when someone tells you what to do with/to your car?? SO, quit BITCHIN' & go reset all your CLOCKS!
Bill W.
Ha,ha. Good to see you back Bill!!!
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:45 AM   #28
Not George

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Bill W.
Way to go Bill!
Not George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:59 AM   #29
wheeldog57

not all hot rod a's come from mint or even good condition cars. yes we hot rodders all want to start with a perfect donor car, but the reality is we get what we can afford. some people have deep pockets but i believe they are the minority. the roadster i am building is comprised from cast-off parts, left overs from friends, and just plain junk. i am recycling these pieces to make a tastefull, traditional hot rod. no stock model a will be harmed to build my hot rods
wheeldog57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:19 AM   #30
George Miller

Bottom line is it is yours to do with as you please. A lot of the complaints come from guys that have cars that are not stock also. They have added a lot of parts that did not come from the factory. Mostly they just do not like hot rods. To build a hot rot from a bunch of parts takes a real car guy.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:46 PM   #31
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Miller View Post
Bottom line is it is yours to do with as you please. A lot of the complaints come from guys that have cars that are not stock also. They have added a lot of parts that did not come from the factory. Mostly they just do not like hot rods. To build a hot rot from a bunch of parts takes a real car guy.
I get a lot of grief from people complaining that I "Hot Rodded" my '55 Ford Ranchwagon also. What they don't know is the Title says "SALVAGED" and if it hadn't been saved it would be a Honda or something by now...

Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:16 PM   #32
Cool Hand Lurker

The really sad thing is that there are a lot of projects that never get finished. A nice Model A gets ripped apart to make a street rod and the guy doesn't have the time or tools or friends or money to complete the job. Or a nice, complete, solid Model A gets torn down to be restored and the same thing happens. No time, tools, friends or money to complete the job.
If you don't have the time, tools, friends or money to complete the job, then leave it as it was!
Oh yeah, if you do complete the project, be sure you do it LIKE I THINK YOU SHOULD DO IT.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:08 PM   #33
Keith True

You hit the nail right on the head.I say I don't like to see cars cut up for rods,but it is more important to me that they actually finish it.It used to be that if a car was taken apart for a rod most likely it would get completed.Not so much with a stock A.When I was a kid it seemed like folks would retire with the plan to fix up an old A like they rode in when they were young.They would buy a car,set the garage up,take it apart,and the ambition would peter out.Now,with the TV shows I think it has gone the other way.People get big ideas and can get a car,get it home,and maybe even take it apart.Then the couch and TV wins out over actually going out and doing some work.Then the car goes outside,sometimes under a tent,or a tarp.Then the tent caves in,and the tarp rips up and blows away.The parts that were in the garage might or might not get put with the car,a lot of times they go to the dump.Things are usually terminal at that point.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #34
pgerhardt

I have decided to go with one of Randy Gross's F -100 steering boxes, a Mitchell transmission, Bill Stipe shocks, and a Powermaster Ford PowerGEN Model A Alternator to build a sweet touring 29 Tudor.

OMG I AM A RODDER!
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:37 PM   #35
pooch

On the other side of the fence, I saw a sticker on the back of a nice rod....it said...

Rescued from a Restorer.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:17 PM   #36
colin1928

Hot Rodding is a bigger business then restoring and a large % of what keeps our vendors and reproduction manufactures in business giving us options
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:00 PM   #37
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
Supply and demand, should make originals worth more for each rodded A
I would not destroy an A

100% agree here, that's just my take I like restored over rodded.

But the rodders are after bodies, SO I guess on the flip side a lot of good chassis-drivetrain-wheel parts will be up for grabs

Hope they leave the fine point cars alone we need something to compare to.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:17 PM   #38
Curt Campbell

It's really no one else's business what I or anyone else does to the car they have sold or bought. I would rather original cars not be rodded...but it's not my call. It seems to me that a large majority of people never finish their restoration...they get quickly taken apart and sit in boxes and undone for a generation or more. If you don't want original cars rodded buy them all when for sale and let them sit in your barn and rot away. A rodded model a is being preserved....just not the way you like. Tough.

These posts are a waste of time.
Curt Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:41 PM   #39
Tom Wesenberg

Here's one more example of taking a good body and butchering it, throwing it on some homebuilt frame, then putting it up for sale. It's going to take a ton of work and money to make this even fit for the road, never mind how it looks. It would have been cheaper to keep it original and it would be on the road in short order, as well as look better.
I don't care if my Tudor is worth more now that another one is lost forever, it's still a waste of a good car.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-A...#ht_134wt_1238
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:02 PM   #40
pooch

I would like to know what the OP is looking at to say Model A destruction....

How about a scan of the mag ?

I am a rodder but do not like any part of a usable original body being hacked either .

These old skool top chops look ugly now.

I reckon to top chop a 28 pickup makes it resemble a landcruiser FJ40 from a distance.

I have no qualms about making an 85 year old car safer and easier to drive by upgrading the mechanicals .

My pickup needed room under where the gas tank is for computers and heater/demister etc, and it came with a nicely restored gas tank.

I put that aside and bought a rusted out $30 tank and plasma'd the arse out of that one instead.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote