Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 08:14 PM   #1
edmondclinton
BANNED

Default How much to rebuild a Model A engine?

There's always a lot of talk about the various Model A engine rebuilders on this site, almost daily. Being that it is always a concern for most, I think it would be interesting for the members to see what the average complete price would be to have their engines rebuilt by the following, especially those who frequently post, e.g., James Rogers, etc.. This would include installing the head, oil pump, oil pan, timing cover, side cover, manifolds etc. or in other words everything that an engine rebuilder may consider as standard for a long block. If not, just a short block amount as long as other short block amounts are listed for comparison. Individuals who have had their engines rebuilt recently by any of the following can post if they like. Thanks.

1. Rich @ AER in Skokie

2. H&H

3. James Rogers

4. Schwalms

5. Snyder

6. B. Terry

7. Joe Silva

8. Bert's

9. John Cosper in NM.

10. Ron Kelley

11. Kohnke Rebabbitting

12. J&M Machine

13. Piranio

14. Various unknowns

Last edited by edmondclinton; 01-17-2015 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Brent was offended
Old 01-16-2015, 08:49 PM   #2
Fred K-OR

Default Re: How much to rebuild a Model A engine excluding Vaseline?

This is a very hard question to answer. It depends on many factors as to what it is going to cost. For example, is it just a stock rebuild, do you want to reuse parts or get all new parts, what type of bearings, how many things do they check out, etc. and many other factors. Thus there are not "set" prices.

Guess $1000 to $10,000------ but a realistic guess could be $3000 to $5000. And this is my $.02 worth because I am no expert in this area. Only my one experience with an engine and seeing what prices various companies advertise for rebuilt engines.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:07 PM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

go on AER's,,,schwalms websites the prices are listed.... as well as some of the others listed

most short or long blocks wont include the maniflods

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 01-16-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:41 PM   #4
James Rogers

My standard rebuild for a long block with all stock configuration is 2995$ with good cores. I have one going to Midland, Tx in the stand right now. There are a lot of upgrades that affect the price of any rebuild IE: counterweighted or Scat crank, oversize intake valves, lightened flywheel and V8 clutch and so on.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:35 PM   #5
edmondclinton
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
This is a very hard question to answer. It depends on many factors as to what it is going to cost.

Not that hard to answer for a stock engine rebuild as Henry made it. James Rogers had no trouble making a post with a current average price.

Last edited by edmondclinton; 01-16-2015 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:43 PM   #6
edmondclinton
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
go on AER's,,,schwalms websites the prices are listed.... as well as some of the others listed

Too lazy for that. Plus the prices on those sites may not be as fresh as what could be posted here, even if it's only an average. Some small businesses will leave up a lower price and inform you of a price increase when you inquire about the work and talk it over. I've seen Snyder do this with his catalog.

Last edited by edmondclinton; 01-16-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:52 PM   #7
colin1928

I only do them in small numbers and shipping kills me
average would be $3500.00 for a insert bearing long engine
Old 01-17-2015, 12:09 AM   #8
BlueSunoco

So, even money, an insert engine adds what $800-$1000 over babbitt?
Old 01-17-2015, 12:45 AM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmondclinton View Post
Not that hard to answer for a stock engine rebuild as Henry made it. James Rogers had no trouble making a post with a current average price.
You did not say in your post it was "a stock engine rebuild as Henry made it".

Now the answer is easy.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:11 AM   #10
Tom Foster

John Cosper (Pete's Auto Machine, Albuquerque) is apparently no longer active.
Fearless
Old 01-17-2015, 02:57 PM   #11
edmondclinton
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
You did not say in your post it was "a stock engine rebuild as Henry made it".

Now the answer is easy.

Sorry, I guess I took it for granted that most people would assume that I meant, stock, as Henry made it. The majority on the road are still that way and many people will have it no other way.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:58 PM   #12
SteveB31

Our inserted counter balanced short blocks are $3150 exchange. Our inserted balanced long blocks with high compression heads and balanced lightened flywheels are $4400-4700 depending on variuos options. Add a new Stipe cam for $400 more.

Keep in mind, price is not the only factor in any engine. Some builders are more careful then others, but most all you listed in post #1 are all good builders.

Keep in mind that nobody is getting rich building these.

Steve Becker
Berts Model A Center
Old 01-17-2015, 05:21 PM   #13
colin1928

Steve is right
Nobody is getting rich building these
Cost can vary on many things quality of the core , machine time , location, shipping , overheads and individual requirements
Much better money to made repairing mistakes from shops that do not normally rebuild A Models
Old 01-17-2015, 08:44 PM   #14
edmondclinton
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin1928 View Post
Steve is right
Nobody is getting rich building these
Well now that would depend on the volume of business and one's definition of what is considered rich. What may be peanuts to some may be a great quantity to others.

Moreover, in any business where there is an easy access potential for more competitors it would be wise to downplay it.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:43 PM   #15
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmondclinton View Post
Well now that would depend on the volume of business and one's definition of what is considered rich. What may be peanuts to some may be a great quantity to others.

Moreover, in any business where there is an easy access potential for more competitors it would be wise to downplay it.
I don't think the word peanuts was used. He said nobody is getting rich. People in all walks of life deserve to get fair value for effort expended. Also long hours were put into apprenticeships when they basically made minimum wage. So I apgree nobody is getting rich and I am sure they dislike the suggestion to the contrary. I know I would !
Wayne
Old 01-17-2015, 10:02 PM   #16
Logan

Comparing prices isnt necessarily fair. Not all builders do the same style of work, or use the same quality of parts. There are some that use the cheapest parts they can find, while others use the highest quality of parts they can find. Some are mass production get them done as fast as possible, while others do one at a time making sure every little detail & measurement are precise. The easy way to sum it up is you get what you pay for. And even sometimes somesones price may be way higher then their quality. Just do your research, and you will find who is a reliable builder that suites your budget and the way youre going to drive your car.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:27 PM   #17
edmondclinton
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
I don't think the word peanuts was used. He said nobody is getting rich. People in all walks of life deserve to get fair value for effort expended. Also long hours were put into apprenticeships when they basically made minimum wage. So I apgree nobody is getting rich and I am sure they dislike the suggestion to the contrary. I know I would !
Wayne

How do you know what they dislike? There's nothing distasteful about my post. It's just my expressed opinion, the same as you just expressed yours.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:36 PM   #18
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
Wayne

The mention of Vaseline probably created a little discomfort too.

I will say that I have found most customers of mine really do not have a true sense of what goes into their project. That is part of my job as a 'restorer for hire' is to educate my customer. I honestly feel if the O/P actually knew what a competent engine builder goes thru time-wise to properly machine and assemble a Model-A engine, ...AND when you/he factors in the costs we have to purchase good quality (i.e.: accurate) machinery and business overhead (costs to operate a business), I truly believe he would then understand why the costs are what they are.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Old 01-17-2015, 11:02 PM   #19
edmondclinton
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
The mention of Vaseline probably created a little discomfort too.

I will say that I have found most customers of mine really do not have a true sense of what goes into their project. That is part of my job as a 'restorer for hire' is to educate my customer. I honestly feel if the O/P actually knew what a competent engine builder goes thru time-wise to properly machine and assemble a Model-A engine, ...AND when you/he factors in the costs we have to purchase good quality (i.e.: accurate) machinery and business overhead (costs to operate a business), I truly believe he would then understand why the costs are what they are.

I understand perfectly why the prices are what they are and the use of the word Vaseline was only meant as a joke. Moreover, the majority of the Model A crowd has a history of not wanting to pay high prices and will often balk and perceive almost any price as being too high no matter what reason is given for it. The main purpose for my 1st post was to get builders to state a price for the basic turn key job so members could maybe see it all in one place and that's all.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:18 PM   #20
edmondclinton
BANNED

Default Re: How much to rebuild a Model A engine?

Even though it was only meant as a joke to draw attention, I removed the word Vaseline from the title.
Closed Thread