Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2014, 03:14 AM   #21
pooch

Default Re: A true barn find?

If there were 50 nice shiny ones and this one at a show, which would get the most attention ?
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:49 AM   #22
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

You indeed have to make it safe. Although I love originality I have my limits. I agree with Brent on this one for sure! Great find no matter what you do and I hope the price was right !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:54 AM   #23
LSJUNIPER

Here is a pic of the 28A I brought home a few weeks ago. Sat in a garage for 40 years.

IMG_20140827_110433_526.jpg
LSJUNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:45 AM   #24
mhsprecher

A great car. Nothing much to add to the above other than that I would want a good seat. Buying a used one to replace what you have makes sense if you want to keep that untouched.

This so-called 'barn find" mania annoys me. What is a true "barn find"? When I was younger, we would scour the countryside looking in old buildings for cars that had been parked inside after the owners had finished driving them, but didn't want to get rid of them. In my view, these days you don't find that much with Model As, because the original or second or third owners have long since passed from the scene. What they are now is an older restored car or unrestored car that has been picked up by someone and not restored or where a collector gets old or dies and it has been neglected for a while. There is just way too much hype, abetted by these "pickers" shows and Antiques Roadshow about "barn finds". They exist, but in my definition, they are rare. Finding a 1960s "barn find" is much easier than a Model A. In spite of my rant, yours, by the way, looks like the real deal. It looks like it has been stored untouched for decades. Way cool.

FWIW, there is a guy near me who has an old Model T that he brings to shows. It is all rust and bent where a tree fell on it. You couldn't duplicate that on purpose if you tried. It runs like a top, though, and garners a lot of attention at the shows he goes to.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:18 AM   #25
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Is it REALLY a point about some not understanding if it needs to be explained, --OR is it more about no one can actually explain it logically??

And one other thought, some blast others for building a fine-points car however they choose a car just like this to take shows. Yes, it brings more attention, ...but then so does a Hooker working on Hollywood Blvd.! Yes, she may get more looks than other ladies walking on the street but that does not mean everyone that does look likes what they see!! For those that missed it, my point above was NOT about the car, ...it's about how folks who do have them (-or maybe want to own one) often portray them to the general public.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:47 AM   #26
Joe K

And like everything else - appearance is EVERYTHING.

Nothing is as it is found. Everything changes as part of our relationship with it. Sort of a human Heisenberg uncertainty principle? The mere fact of examining something affects how it appears?

I had an odd feeling passing though my Mother-in-law's house after her passing in 1995. EVERYTHING in that house had been placed by her - and now by our act of even moving around in that house we were somehow "erasing" evidence of her existence. Instead of the radio waking up to HER favorite channel, it would be changed and wake up to OURS. And likewise for everything else.

Such is life. In a very short while it would be like she had never lived there. Except, of course, for what we remember of her.

And even memory can err - or change to what we want it to be.

So it is even with these barn finds. They come out of hiding and almost immediately they start changing.

The question to be asked is - is the change beneficial - or by changing is it putting the Model A closer to the scrapper (or rodder) and thereby a permanent loss?

And if it pleases one to somehow attempt to "keep" in the "as found" condition - who is to argue?

Well, providing the car is safe and reasonably pleasurable to drive. A cracked windshield may be as found - but won't pass inspection in Cow Hampshire. Neither will rusted out panels that flap in the wind (and may catch and injure passerby.) Ditto functional brakes - although in my experience inspectors know NOTHING of mechanical brakes, their adjustment, their functionality (or lack thereof) and typically defer to the owner in these matters.

But truly, even the "as found" cars are likely far from it.

Appearance is EVERYTHING.

I think I said that.

Joe K
Old 09-20-2014, 07:54 AM   #27
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Is it REALLY a point about some not understanding if it needs to be explained, --OR is it more about no one can actually explain it logically??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Hesekiel View Post
As the Harley Davidson slogan goes: "if we have to explain, you wouldn't understand."

It's the real thing, something, as I stated before, only time can create, and time isn't always gentle. In case of a Model A, it had to survive a world war, a depression, the prohibition, and generations of well-meaning but clueless as well as don't-care, don't give a hoot folks. Few have survived so much sh*t, and that makes 'em truly special.
Affairs of the heart defy logic, but Brother Hesekial came pretty close to describing what I see in a car like this. It's the wondering about what that car might have been through, it's a representation of 80+ years of history, and importantly it's perhaps the closest we will get to an authentic driving experience for an era that fascinates each one of us in one way or another. Sitting in that car will transport you back in a way that a fine point car can never do.

Call it what you like. "Barn find", "barn fresh" have lost their meaning. It doesn't matter. I reckon you either get it or you don't. And no disrespect either way. It's horses for courses. I GET this car! Do what you have to, but leave it to represent what it really is.

By the way, the seat looks good to go!!
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #28
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogah View Post
Affairs of the heart defy logic, but Brother Hesekial came pretty close to describing what I see in a car like this.

Sitting in that car will transport you back in a way that a fine point car can never do.

I sure hope what you are saying is not really true (I saw no emoticons associated with this though) but IMHO it takes a 'sick' individual to receive an erection solely just thinking about a car!! Truer words have never been spoken about it being explained and me not understanding. I will never understand someone with that perverted mindset.

As to your second statement, I have sat in both types of Model-As that you describe, and I find your statement totally false. I suspect many others would say the same. What many do not understand is 99.9% of hobbyists do not accurately restore their Model-A to garner points, ....but instead do it as a goal to see how disciplined they are at following instructions and replicating exacting details. How challenging is it to garner accolades off of someone else's doing, ...especially if it is having a "sexual experience" with a non-living object someone else over time has created?? Again, what a sick & twisted world.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:50 AM   #29
Hoogah

Quote:
I sure hope what you are saying is not really true (I saw no emoticons associated with this though) but IMHO it takes a 'sick' individual to receive an . . . . . I will never understand someone with that perverted mindset.

As to your second statement, I have sat in both types of Model-As that you describe, and I find your statement totally false.
Hey, lighten up Brent! I think Brother Hesekial was having a joke with us!
True/False? Like I said, it's horses for courses and no disrespect to you, no matter how you derive your enjoyment from Mr Ford's wonderful cars!
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #30
ronn

Everyone has their preference regarding A's and I like them all!

However, I have always been more "comfortable" with the scruffy ones, sort of how I prefer
my women and booze...........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #31
bart78

I think all that matters is the guy likes the car the way it is. I know there are some out there. That feel that there is only one way. And all the others are wrong. Who's to say the car is still original. There could have been something replaced a long time ago. We don't know. Just get it safe and drive the hell out of it. It's your car not anyone else's. It will be closer to original than most of the other cars out there.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:13 AM   #32
armchair67

"If I have to explain it to you, you're probably not gonna get it "-Jay Leno, when asked why he has a helicopter engined motorcycle.
armchair67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #33
Vin-tin

Mine had been put away for 55 years. It was parked in 1958 in a great (dry) environment and not moved until last summer when I bought it. The body has zero rot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1288.JPG (164.7 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1289.JPG (219.6 KB, 88 views)
Vin-tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:30 AM   #34
FL&WVMIKE

karasmar .....................
You lucky dog !
Do what nearly everyone says and save the patina on the body. You can buy a GIBBS OIL, which will enhance your patina, greatly. You can get a prevue of what it will do, by spraying a little WD-40 on it. GIBBS OIL does it better and will last longer. It is what the antique motorcycle guys do, when they own a "barn find".
My phaeton (avatar) is unrestored and gets much more attention than the high point restored cars.
GREAT FIND !
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #35
karasmer

Well I am thinking no new top for now but I should really change out the running board, get it running good and that's it.
karasmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #36
todd3131

Quote:
I sure hope what you are saying is not really true (I saw no emoticons associated with this though) but IMHO it takes a 'sick' individual to receive an erection solely just thinking about a car!! Truer words have never been spoken about it being explained and me not understanding. I will never understand someone with that perverted mindset.

As to your second statement, I have sat in both types of Model-As that you describe, and I find your statement totally false. I suspect many others would say the same. What many do not understand is 99.9% of hobbyists do not accurately restore their Model-A to garner points, ....but instead do it as a goal to see how disciplined they are at following instructions and replicating exacting details. How challenging is it to garner accolades off of someone else's doing, ...especially if it is having a "sexual experience" with a non-living object someone else over time has created?? Again, what a sick & twisted world.
What am I missing? I saw nothing in what they said that was sick, am I not reading between the lines correctly?

Todd3131
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #37
Harley03joe

Smile Re: A true barn find?

Great Buy
Enjoy
Harley03joe
Ford Model A 2dr | eBay
LOOKS LIKE JUNK TO ME, It's Great For The Pickers On TV

Harley03joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:27 PM   #38
BlueSunoco

On a similar note................. picked up a copy yesterday of the Old Car Report 2015 value guide for antique and collectible cars at the book store. Don't have it in front of me a friend borrowed it and is returning it in a few days.

ANYway, flipped to the Model A Ford section and looked at '1930 Roadster' values and guess what, to my surprise, the STANDARD 1930 and 1931 Roadsters are valued HIGHER than the DELUXE models, by hundreds of dollars in the same condition across the rating!!

Kinda goes with what we're talking about here.

A STANDARD Roadster draws my eye faster than a Dlx. in those years simply because there are so many Deluxe models you see them everywhere. Same with the un-restored Model A's, I really enjoy looking at them.

Last edited by BlueSunoco; 09-20-2014 at 03:08 PM.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #39
bart78

How many deluxes were standards at one time. I like standards more than the deluxe.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:26 PM   #40
31 Woody

Love it! Leave it as originally found as humanly possible.