Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-10-2014, 11:44 AM   #41
SUHRsc

Default Re: Model A Roadsters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
When I first got interested in building Model As I was just a kid. That was over 50 years ago. Back then there were only 2 types of body Styles, roadsters and parts cars.
I'm with ya, Phil!
77-6050B, 81AS - 81SB - 99AS - 99SB 19AS cylinder heads
SUHRsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #42
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
This might sound(read) odd but this a roadster for me (COOL)

http://good-wallpapers.com/pictures/...ter%201923.jpg
Oh man, that is a beautiful roadster ! Wish I had one of those,eh !
Going to first Model T club meeting tomo evening ! This model roadster is one of the the reasons ...as just maybe

And, Jupiter...I'd buy your roadster in a heart beat...and just drive the wheels off of it. I wouldn't change a thing...rust and/or paint chips/dings..be damned !
When I wanted a roadster..like the one that I had back when younger ('30). It was bone stock and worn out, except the body was grey primer and a beauty without rust. When I started to 'get that year roadster back'...I started with a rusty frame..and rusted out body ! Yeah, I NEVER wanted to restore a car at all, but prices then, like now, are sky high to someone who does not have that kind of 'disposable' income !
Well, I went over board (on drive train) and ran out of $ when it came to paint/interior. Ended up being gray primer ....again, and I drive the wheels off of it ! My roadster is adrenalin boost to drive, and at my age , that's (adrenalin) is hard to come by.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #43
Purdy Swoft

Back in the day very little was offered for sedans as far as body parts. Sedans are more expensive to restore and most felt that open cars was the way to go. My first restoration was a tudor because that was the only style that I could afford or find. It took me over forty years to find a roadster that I could afford . I had just about given up. Thanks to eBay and Mark Sullivan I finally got one in 03. I don't plan to ever sell mine . My wife loves our roadster and can drive it as well as I have ever seen I mostly sit back and let her drive.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #44
JupiterBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Back in the day very little was offered for sedans as far as body parts. Sedans are more expensive to restore and most felt that open cars was the way to go. My first restoration was a tudor because that was the only style that I could afford or find. It took me over forty years to find a roadster that I could afford . I had just about given up. Thanks to eBay and Mark Sullivan I finally got one in 03. I don't plan to ever sell mine . My wife loves our roadster and can drive it as well as I have ever seen I mostly sit back and let her drive.

This is a great story. I told my wife that if we sell it, good luck ever replacing it. I went to TAM's yesterday and bought some jewelry for the Roadster. I think we're going to keep her. My wife is coming around on the idea.

I hope everyone here knows Joe at TAM's Model A Parts. He's a hell of a guy and extremely knowledgeable and helpful. He too helped talk me into keeping my model A. He also had all the little things to dress it up and replace some of the dingy parts on my car.
JupiterBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #45
Skeezixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
Okay - I did say extremely few women. And lets face it - the two who posted that their wives like/love riding in an open roadster in winter are extremely fortunate. AND . . . . I'll bet that they are under thirty !

The real key component in owning an open car - is finding the 'right' female to propose to; and if you get them when they are young - they may be trainable.

P.S. - just so you know, I have had two Roadsters - one a 1930 and another a 1931. Plus a 1931 Roadster Pick-up. And now I still own and drive regularly, a 1928 Phaeton. I have always liked the '30-'31 Roadster - but I was single and did not have to please a pardner. Having a second Model A - a closed car, helps relieve much of the pressure of having an open car with a resistant wife. Also, two simple, but VERY powerful words . . . "Yes, Dear".

But the reason for my original response, was to respond to the poster's primary question - "Why is there resistance to buying his Roadster ? " My answer still stands.
My ladyfriend is ambivalent about my cars but my 91 year old mother not only seizes any opportunity to ride in my roadster but bugged me enough till I let her drive it:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1218.jpg (58.5 KB, 99 views)
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:41 PM   #46
Purdy Swoft

Here is Deb at the throttle of our roadster.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #47
JupiterBandit

I am hoping to get mine out this weekend. I'll post some pics with the family
Old 04-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #48
glenn in camino

I'm currently restoring a 28 roadster. I can hardly wait to get it done. It will probably be at least a year or so but I'm patient.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #49
Purdy Swoft

Here is how mine looked, the day that I got it. It took three years to do. It would have been quicker if it had been a customer car. I took my time and mostly enjoyed it. The car hadn't run since 1963 when I got it.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:23 PM   #50
JupiterBandit

Oh wow, That is quite the accomplishment. Great job!
Old 04-14-2014, 08:21 PM   #51
Purdy Swoft

Thanks, Jupiter Bandit !!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #52
JupiterBandit

What would it cost to put a new top on my roadster?

Plus, does anyone have any tips about replacing the end piece of wood where the bottom corner of the top attaches in the back?
Old 04-16-2014, 11:53 PM   #53
Marshall57

You might need a larger web of interest, I paid 10 grand for mine, it isn't half the car you have and I am still glad to have snapped it up.. Look for a buyer in the west or southwest. Looks like 20 grand worth of car to me,,, but I do not know without a close look.
Marshall57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #54
JupiterBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall57 View Post
You might need a larger web of interest, I paid 10 grand for mine, it isn't half the car you have and I am still glad to have snapped it up.. Look for a buyer in the west or southwest. Looks like 20 grand worth of car to me,,, but I do not know without a close look.
I agree with you. I told potential buyers that there aren't any other roadsters for sale in the area for this price. They are getting harder to come by and pretty soon the people who have snapped them up are going to hold on to them and won't be letting them go. not for cheap anyway.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:15 AM   #55
JupiterBandit

Sold
Old 10-16-2015, 07:33 AM   #56
Dick Carne

I have learned the hard way that you can never replace a car with another one, for anything close to what you sold the first one for. My father required that I sell a '29 roadster when I bought my first Corvette - sold it for $500 (tells you how long ago that was). When I was able replace it with a '28 roadster almost ten years later, I wound up paying almost $3800 (almost twice the amount I paid for the Corvette - a'65 two-top convertible - 327/365 hp four speed). A year or so later, my father also sold a nicely restored '31 Sport Coupe with dual side mounts for $1750 - I've not been able to find this car since. So assuming that you still enjoy the car, my best advice is to keep it if you are able, since you will never be able replace it for what you might sell your present car for. Good luck to you though, whatever decision you might reach.

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:36 AM   #57
Steve_Mack_CT

I think this car was on CL for a while and was surprised at that as it seemed like a good deal. Anyway, congrats on sale. Sometimes it is just time to move on. (Of course, when I sold my Tudor a few years back and was thinking another A would be unlikely, I sold off a ton of parts to an A friend at a deep discount. Wish I had held onto. Never say never...)

I get the replacement concerns but you cannot keep them all, at least I cannot. If we didn't move some we would have missed out on owning some great cars. I guess I am one of the luckyear ones as my wife loves our cars. All open including a Mercedes SL, we rarely use any of them top up.

Last edited by Steve_Mack_CT; 10-16-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Steve_Mack_CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:31 AM   #58
pgerhardt

IMHO a 20K model A of any body style has to be DONE. Assuming great mechanical condition, repaired rusted cowl and refreshed fenders and running boards would be needed to bring this roadster up to that level.

That being said I am glad you are keeping it. I sold all my cars and bikes pictured and regret every one. The money disappeared into my normal expenses and I had to wait until I was retired (about 50 years!) before I could reenter the hobby. So as long as you have storage keep your roadster and enjoy it!
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:38 AM   #59
31Tudor

I guess I am missing something here. He sold it!
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:44 AM   #60
Mark W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Is that rust on the firewall by the coil?

Bob
A friend of mine looked at this exact car (unless two are in the same town and using the same pictures) - the rust was VERY BAD at the bottom of the cowl, and in general the whole bottom of the body was in question. Maybe your offers took this into account?

On the other hand, I've been seriously offered 15 for my un-restored 29 Standard roadster on the COLD coast of Maine, which was tempting but I'm still having too much fun...
Mark W. is offline   Reply With Quote