Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2014, 05:50 AM   #21
colin1928

Default Re: Model A Roadsters?

For me Model As are the same any car value depends on how good they look in person and up close
How good they run and drive
I have paid as much as $25000.00 and as little as $3000.00 for the same model car
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:30 AM   #22
700rpm

Condition is the first consideration. How badly you want a particular model is the second. Your spouse's attitude is the third. Price is fourth.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:55 AM   #23
Barry B./ Ma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
where are you? a roadster in a rainy wintery state like Pacific Northwest or MN might not go over well.... keep it, you'll be sorry.....

what is the flap over the top of the driver's door?
Tbirdtbird... That's an accessory snap on canvas to protect the paint over the doors. I tried to get a pair for my roadster but LeBaron Bonney couldn't supply at the time because the snaps were out of production, I think they are available now.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #24
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
The market for a roadster is narrowed down to buyers who only need a two seater. That is two people who don't mind the cold, rain, wind, and lack of security of belongings when not attended. There was a reason that the roadster sold for less than a coupe, or sedan (both closed cars) when the car was new. You may find lots of guys who like riding in them - but extremely few women who like riding in them. They are for the 'care-free' , 'young at heart'.

And old people - who THINK they are 'care-free and 'young at heart'.

It is like a cottage on the Maine coast on a sunny day. It LOOKs great ! BUT actually living there is a real bear ! Especially in Winter !

my wife likes riding in my Roadster!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #25
BlueSunoco

People who can't swing a Roadster or a Phaeton drive Sedans. I know because that's how I started out!!

There will always be a strong demand for good Model A Roadsters I don't ever see them dropping to the bottom of the Model A pyramid. Especially '30 and '31 Roadsters, pretty classy cars.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #26
JupiterBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Is that rust on the firewall by the coil?

Bob

No rust there. The paint is peeling but no rust underneath.

The only rust on the car is the bead at the bottom of the cowl. I have a model A restoration guy who is going to fix it for me if it doesn't sell. He told me $1,500 to fix it correctly.

The car is Located in Worcester, Ma.

I love the car, the color, the attention, the shows. I would love to keep it.

Last edited by JupiterBandit; 04-09-2014 at 10:38 AM.
JupiterBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #27
JupiterBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
where are you? a roadster in a rainy wintery state like Pacific Northwest or MN might not go over well.... keep it, you'll be sorry.....

what is the flap over the top of the driver's door?
It's original to the car. It snaps into place. I may not be from 1931 but it had one in 1931. The snaps are period correct not aftermarket
Old 04-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #28
JupiterBandit

I do want to thank everyone one here for being mostly positive. I haven't met a Model A'er to date that hasn't been pleasant and helpful.

Your words of encouragement has made me feel a lot better about my dream of owning a Model A. I'm 36 years old and I just love everything about these old cars. My 4 year old calls it his Chitty Chitty Bang Bang car and when he hears me honk the horn he comes running out to go for a ride.

There are only 2 ways to get my son out of my Roadster. Kicking and screaming, or sleeping. Too much fresh air and he's out like a light.

My wife loves riding in the rumble seat. She just can't bring herself to put our newborn in it. I can't totally blame her. I did use the comparison of walking down the street pushing a stroller. She said she doesn't walk 45mph but good try.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:58 AM   #29
Rex_A_Lott

Hang on to the car. You're only going to have a newborn for one summer, and after that your toddler will enjoy the car too. ( Unless, of course, you start over).
You have a nice car, one you can enjoy. Good Luck with it!
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:05 AM   #30
Purdy Swoft

The snaps are original but were for side curtains.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:32 AM   #31
midgetracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
The market for a roadster is narrowed down to buyers who only need a two seater. That is two people who don't mind the cold, rain, wind, and lack of security of belongings when not attended. There was a reason that the roadster sold for less than a coupe, or sedan (both closed cars) when the car was new. You may find lots of guys who like riding in them - but extremely few women who like riding in them. They are for the 'care-free' , 'young at heart'.

And old people - who THINK they are 'care-free and 'young at heart'.

It is like a cottage on the Maine coast on a sunny day. It LOOKs great ! BUT actually living there is a real bear ! Especially in Winter !
My wife and my daughter love the roadsters and my phaeton. I turned down $25K for either of my 30 or 31 roadsters last year because we have such a blast driving them. Also, with a rumble seat we carry four people easily, and we live in North Dakota, not sunny California. Roadsters rule with this 66 year old.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #32
DougVieyra

Okay - I did say extremely few women. And lets face it - the two who posted that their wives like/love riding in an open roadster in winter are extremely fortunate. AND . . . . I'll bet that they are under thirty !

The real key component in owning an open car - is finding the 'right' female to propose to; and if you get them when they are young - they may be trainable.

P.S. - just so you know, I have had two Roadsters - one a 1930 and another a 1931. Plus a 1931 Roadster Pick-up. And now I still own and drive regularly, a 1928 Phaeton. I have always liked the '30-'31 Roadster - but I was single and did not have to please a pardner. Having a second Model A - a closed car, helps relieve much of the pressure of having an open car with a resistant wife. Also, two simple, but VERY powerful words . . . "Yes, Dear".

But the reason for my original response, was to respond to the poster's primary question - "Why is there resistance to buying his Roadster ? " My answer still stands.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #33
DougVieyra

An earlier post by 'P.S.' really is a truth that we sometimes forget; But it is so much to the point that it bears repeating: P.S. had this to say;

"I met a fellow Model A'er who spent over $30,000 restoring a Tudor sedan. That doesn't mean the car is now worth 30 grand, it means he spent 30 grand restoring a car now worth probably 18 grand at best.

The Tudor is beautiful and drives like a dream, but it wasn't restored as an investment, it was restored for him to enjoy. Let's say there's a 12 thousand dollar gap between investment and value. He will get 12 thousand dollars of enjoyment out of it before he sells it for 18 thousand. That's how you have to look at it."
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:28 PM   #34
Ted Duke

Hey Jupiter,

I'm not sure what it's worth, but I would guess $15k to $20K in the springtime. If I wasn't into a major frame up restoration of a 1929 Roadster PU I'd make an offer, but I don't want to end a 53 year marriage suddenly.

Seriously, you should talk your wife into keeping it. I passed up a 1929 Model A Fire engine with everything but hose and ladders for $600 in 1972 (money that I could have borrowed from the bank and paid back in a year) and I'm still kicking myself. The economy SUCKS right now, and when your child gets ready for college or a BIG wedding, that A will be money in the bank. For college tuition, sell it then, if it's a wedding, drive her to the reception and then sell it if you need the money. I'll bet if you sell it you will kick yourself later. I also sold my first car 1951 CHEVY BelAir two door in pristine condition because it needed and engine overhaul. Wish I had it now.

Ted
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #35
JupiterBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Duke View Post
Hey Jupiter,

I'm not sure what it's worth, but I would guess $15k to $20K in the springtime. If I wasn't into a major frame up restoration of a 1929 Roadster PU I'd make an offer, but I don't want to end a 53 year marriage suddenly.

Seriously, you should talk your wife into keeping it. I passed up a 1929 Model A Fire engine with everything but hose and ladders for $600 in 1972 (money that I could have borrowed from the bank and paid back in a year) and I'm still kicking myself. The economy SUCKS right now, and when your child gets ready for college or a BIG wedding, that A will be money in the bank. For college tuition, sell it then, if it's a wedding, drive her to the reception and then sell it if you need the money. I'll bet if you sell it you will kick yourself later. I also sold my first car 1951 CHEVY BelAir two door in pristine condition because it needed and engine overhaul. Wish I had it now.

Ted
That is something I am now pondering. I am going to do some serious thinking. I would love to keep this car. My wife and I were driving it to breakfast each morning in November in 30 degree weather with the top down. She loves the car. I told her we would never find another one like this that's affordable. Once she's gone that will be that.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #36
Mike

There is your answer do not sell the car

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #37
Tom Wesenberg

I agree to keep it, or at least trade for a nice closed body style Model A that you like and your wife and child would ride in.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #38
Skibb

Your car may be worth what you're asking so the idea of keeping the car and routinely listing it may have strong appeal. An expression born in the days of the Model T that "there's an a.... for every seat" is true as the sky is Blue. But the other car biz axiom that "your first loss is your best loss" may be the operative point. IMO every Model A gets taken home and parked in the drive. Then the "boss" comes out and looks it over and makes a comment or two. If there is a negative like a spot of paint peeling that comment will be repeated at the dinner table and will be fodder for discussion thereafter. If Mister Model A Husband can say well I know but I bought it right and that issue will be fixed in a couple weeks, you have a buyer. Lots of us have been in the same situation with growing families so our heart goes out to you. Spending the money to fix the paint might not sell your A in the near term. Keep it clean and shinny and love it while you have it. The vulture offers will always be there. Just keep positive. The MAFCA Ad suggestion was good and an Ad in your local Model A club's newsletter might help. Good Luck.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #39
Phil

When I first got interested in building Model As I was just a kid. That was over 50 years ago. Back then there were only 2 types of body Styles, roadsters and parts cars. I really haven't changed my thinking much, the open cars are just plain cool.

Today there a lot Model A people that love to tour. 10,000 miles a year or more. The sedans ect are hadn't for that. I don't get to do much more than day trips and short hops around town. The roadster is great for and did I mention they are just plain COOL?

Model A guys are cheap (I know I am one). So no body style will bring big bucks real quick--got to find the right buyer.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:41 AM   #40
mshmodela

This might sound(read) odd but this a roadster for me (COOL)

http://good-wallpapers.com/pictures/...ter%201923.jpg
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote