Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #1
JupiterBandit

Default Model A Roadsters?

I am new to the model A community and I was wondering why Model A Roadsters are hard to sell.

It appears that everyone only offers $10k on average. In above driver condition.

If it was a fresh restore they only want to offer $18k

I'm just a little shocked that owning such a cool piece of history and heritage that the value is so low.

I get more thumbs up in my Model A roadster than any other car I own so the cool factor is there. Plus it is a total blast to drive and going to the ice cream store or a drive in movie is a complete thrill.

I hate to even sell it but I don't have space and I have a newborn and my wife won't take him in the Roadster so it limits how much I can enjoy it.

But I will not give her away for $10k. You couldn't restore or build her for that.

JupiterBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
1930artdeco

Default Re: Model A Roadsters?

One word.....'rain' and 'cold'....o.k. two words. Also you may want to post this in the Swap Meet section. Very Nice car by the way.

Mike
Old 04-08-2014, 08:41 AM   #3
Patrick L.

Hmmm, it must be because of the steering box ! Just kidding.

What do you want for for it[ actually take for it] and where is it located ? I don't need 2 blue roadsters, but.....
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:41 AM   #4
Brendan

i have taken the top off my car, when its cold i layer up, also i have driven my Roadster in the rain a few times its kind of fun! i would think you could get more then 10 grand for your car.

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
mshmodela

I think your car would be a deal at $15k... As they say as the top goes down the price goes up... You're find the right buyer but it will take some work.
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:38 AM   #6
P.S.

I met a fellow Model A'er who spent over $30,000 restoring a Tudor sedan. That doesn't mean the car is now worth 30 grand, it means he spent 30 grand restoring a car now worth probably 18 grand at best.

The Tudor is beautiful and drives like a dream, but it wasn't restored as an investment, it was restored for him to enjoy. Let's say there's a 12 thousand dollar gap between investment and value. He will get 12 thousand dollars of enjoyment out of it before he sells it for 18 thousand. That's how you have to look at it.

If you simply insist that your car is more valuable than people are willing to pay for it, you could just keep the car and wait until the market improves and it becomes more valuable.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #7
George Miller

It would be worth much more than 10,000 in our area. I think you just have not found the right guy. A few years back roadster, coupes, were the hot ones. I think they still are for some of us.

Last edited by George Miller; 04-08-2014 at 11:15 AM.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
stouchton

I was offered 22K for mine - but not interested in selling. Not sure if my area is just that much higher or I just had the right guy asking.
stouchton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #9
bdave_mcc

I don't know what your situation is but after I got married and started having kids. I needed cash fast and let a bunch of stuff go on the cheap. Looking back, I really could have held out a little longer. I have since vowed to myself not to do that anymore. It may take some time but someone will give you what its worth. Someone will see that thing this summer and have to have it!
bdave_mcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #10
Mark W.

I think a lot of the problem is in the rust in the bottom of the cowl and just how far the damage is. I know 2 people in Mass that were looking for an A roadster and forwarded your info to them - both couples dismissed yours out-of-hand based only on that rust.
Mark W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #11
Barry B./ Ma.

Check the NADA value website, you will be surprised. In Mass. that's what the registry goes by when assesing sales tax at 6.25% for a private sale. You have a nice looking roadster, I wouldn't let it go for under 20k.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #12
hardtimes

Well, savvy model a buyer (s) will not buy any model a ...for top $...with RUST out lower panels ! Think about it, have you ever taken a model a body off of frame. Yeah, that's what it will take to do proper repairs of rust,eh ! Now if you can actually SEE rust, imagine what you can not see, that will have to be addressed ! Now, blue, especially the color blue of your car...is my favorite. However, now picture all the rust repairs and the car having to be REPAINTED to some degree. Rusted areas are indicators of other 'stuff' condition of the car, IMO.
Anyway, maybe this will give you some ideas to think on when contemplating selling. As has been said, that if you get the RIGHT guy, namely one who is not savvy and only sees 'bling'...cha ching a ling $$$$$
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #13
BlueSunoco

Think of it another way.

When you buy one of today's look alike throw away cars and drop 30 grand or so, and 6 or 7 years from now it is worth $8,000 which was the better 'investment'? That car or the Roadster?

Keep the A, buy someone else's depreciated used car for everyday use, and the difference you save can be used to make your Model A even nicer.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #14
Mike

I would keep the A and in a few years you and your child can enjoy the car.

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:05 PM   #15
Barry B./ Ma.

The low end of the NADA value scale for a 1930 Deluxe Roadster with a rumble seat is presently at $22,995 so that should indicate pretty good value.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #16
henry's 31

Hi JupiterBandit:

It sure looks like a very nice car. A Roadster should sell for over 20K in most places. You just need to find the correct buyer. I would place an add in Hemmings or in the National Model A Club's magazine. You can also contact a local MOdel A Club. If this fails you can place it on Ebay. Do not under sell a Roadster. It sure looks nice on the photos!

Henry's 31
henry's 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:04 PM   #17
Bob C

Is that rust on the firewall by the coil?

Bob
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:38 PM   #18
tbirdtbird
BANNED

where are you? a roadster in a rainy wintery state like Pacific Northwest or MN might not go over well.... keep it, you'll be sorry.....

what is the flap over the top of the driver's door?
Old 04-08-2014, 10:50 PM   #19
tbirdtbird
BANNED

PS for what it is worth network news tonight revealed that the crash tests of SUVs were terrible. but some of us knew that anyway. Europe has stiffer crash testing than we do.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:37 AM   #20
DougVieyra

The market for a roadster is narrowed down to buyers who only need a two seater. That is two people who don't mind the cold, rain, wind, and lack of security of belongings when not attended. There was a reason that the roadster sold for less than a coupe, or sedan (both closed cars) when the car was new. You may find lots of guys who like riding in them - but extremely few women who like riding in them. They are for the 'care-free' , 'young at heart'.

And old people - who THINK they are 'care-free and 'young at heart'.

It is like a cottage on the Maine coast on a sunny day. It LOOKs great ! BUT actually living there is a real bear ! Especially in Winter !
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote