Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2014, 12:10 AM   #61
Maclab58

Default Re: Town Car In Swap Meet

I have never heard of a fabric covered sedan. Pictures?
Maclab58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:43 AM   #62
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I find this thread interesting. I am, though, sorry to read that it has become personal to some.

Here is my opinion;

Value and worth are personal things. What something is worth may be different for different people. We have here a rare model of the Model A. What is it worth asks the seller?

We have read here the problem with finding parts, the cost to create new parts etc. We know that within this group it is not worth the original 100,000 or even 60,000 as it has not been bought yet or an offer made.

Do we even have a guess at to what it would be worth if completely restored?

CometCyclone if I were you I would offer a few thousand to a present owner of a town car or at least someone knowledgeable in them to come by and take inventory of the parts at hand, assess the condition etc. in other words give an overall opinion of exactly what you have. With this knowledge you will be able to present to the public a picture of what is needed and give you top dollar for the sale. Lets say you are missing nothing, the car would be worth more to a buyer then if the same buyer believes he may have to have custom parts made, would it not?

I happen to agree with Steve Wastler and his guess on value and possible resale value on completion. CometCyclone thinks he has a goldmine but the proof is in the sale. If nobody offers him what he thinks is enough it will sit of worse be destroyed. His father turned down 13k in '88 but now the car has rotted further in 25 years. The pictures do not show it was stored in anything close to a climate controlled building so the wood and metal would be in worse shape now then in '88. We here that it is one of three, how many town cars of all years does one think are out there? The one confirmed sale I could find at Christies in 1995, a 1929 sold for 53,000.

Like I said it's my opinion.

Oh here are some cars that sold reciently;

Restored, Auburn 874 Dual Cowl Phaeton $120,000
Barn Fresh, Cord Phaeton $55,000
Survivor, V6 last front wheel drive made onle one of 2 made 1967 Glenn Pray Cord -$29000

Where does this A fit in?
Old 03-09-2014, 02:13 AM   #63
dave in australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maclab58 View Post
The body was built by Ford Australia. One was featured in a magazine called Restored Cars about five years ago. Sorry, don't have pictures.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:53 AM   #64
DougVieyra

That car is worth about $10,000 for it's extremely poor 'bits and pieces'. It will take another $40,000 - $50,000 to rebuild it back to a respectable restoration of a 1930 Town Car. Plus years of time, anguish and custom building of un-usable and missing parts. Not for the faint of heart.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #65
dean from bozeman

Mike V. Florida you bring up an excellent alternative for CometCyclone, have it looked at by someone in the know and help determine a price.

Steve Wastler, I would never block your posts. You bring up valid points and I personally enjoy hearing differing opinions. My dad was a "my way or the highway" type of guy. I hit the highway.

As with many Fordbarn posts this one may be going on too long. However, I would love to hear more about those "rarest of Model A's". I had never even heard of a fabric Model A. A new post with descriptions and photos would be great.

Dean
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #66
CometCyclone

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The L-29 Cord I sold I was selling for 2 years. I I had about 2 offers over the period of the sale... and guess what I got my asking price on it when it was all said and done.I got similar comments and opinions on it about that one too.Such as storage condition etc.I didn't say that I didn't have any offers on this car.I find it distasteful that you guys are model A fans and are talking about this car like that and labeling it #6 scrap.In fact the car is not worse than when it was in 88.The wood is already done on the car and is not rotten.I don't know where you guys are getting your comments from if you haven't even looked at the car yourselves. There's too many people out there that want to buy a running driving car for $500 then to put some time in money into something.If your more comfortable with a $20,000 restored town sedan,coupe go buy one of those and don't bother putting your negative comments on here.

As buyers we buy something because we like it not because of what it's worth.We don't worry about what it will sell for because we bought it for ourselves.It's like when somebody customizes a hot rod there's so many different options a owner does that others wouldn't like.Chopping turns on some buyers but turns off others same with drive train choice,fenders, original color etc.They build it to their taste not somebody else's.

I've also been getting private messages saying that people do not wish to go against the points guys publicly in this tread about the car.

The right buyer is out there.I doubt the right guy is here though.It seems most of you would be joyful to see it left at the dump years ago.I'm talking to a guy outside of this forum about the car will I get 100k problly not. 70k ? maybe 50k well I don't know atleast the guy is serious enough about the car to come look at it.A guy come to look at it about 5 years ago and offered my father then 40k for the car then made a 2nd offer quite higher than that just goes to show exactly what I'm talking about.Maybee the buyer just needs to be in the right spending mood.how bad does somebody want the car? what are they willing to spend and is 40k just a drop in the bucket for them?
CometCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #67
Hicktick

Comet don't get upset about the comments on the car .

Pictures don't lie and the car is real rough . Its hard to tell if its a real town car .

You say the wood has been replaced and the car is not rotten , well lets just say the pictures say something else .

I hope you get a buyer that can bring it back .

Like someone else said , better call Flop .
Hicktick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:58 AM   #68
CometCyclone

I said wood is not rotten. car is rough but I've seen much worse restored.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #69
Roadster62

I hope my post #19 was't taken as a negative, it was rought when I saw it at Rhinebeck years ago. That said it is very rare, and the right guy can save it if a selling price can be agreed to. Far rougher cars have been saved. Bob
Old 03-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #70
ronn

Mike,
the town car doesn't fit into your grouping at all-possibly due to it's rarity, it stands alone.
Can we compare an old comp on a 29 town car? Maybe, but again, not only is this a rarer year and a different time period, but it is also not a complete car. So now we delve into what is a rare car worth that is say- only half original?
What is a Mercer worth with only a chassis, engine and trans, but with a completely new body, gas tank, wheels, etc. vs. an all original Mercer with provenance from say 1912?
Yes, this is a very interesting topic in many more ways then one. If this car should change hands at some point, the exact amount paid at that point will establish a precedent for this car-speculation will not and comps of other town cars are only a starting point.....
Someone with means may not even consider this car, due to it being quite incomplete.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:32 AM   #71
Tudortomnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maclab58 View Post
Also pictured in The Restorer , 2010, March April ,I think.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:25 AM   #72
eystein

Are there any photos on the net of any of the two restored 1930 Town cars or any factory photos.

The only one that I've been able to find is this one :

http://www.modelahouse.com/others/tim/tim0079.jpg

And it doesn't show much.

Would be nice of someone could post pictures if they've got any.
eystein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #73
ronn

stein,
if you can find a copy of the Restorer-volume 31 issue 6 from 1987-there is a great
article and photos of the town cars.
Bought mine on ebay.............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #74
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCyclone View Post

I've also been getting private messages saying that people do not wish to go against the points guys publicly in this tread about the car.
You know, I kinda see that little comment as amusing, ...yet troubling. With the exception of Peter Mendola posting above, I have not seen any public comments or interaction from knowledgeable "points guys" on this topic.

On the reverse side, I have read several comments by folks who really do not have knowledge about, --nor the true ability to step-up and complete the deal, ...whether it would be financially or possess the restoration-related skills needed! I does appear however, that some feel compelled to make statements about things they really have no factual knowledge about, ...and for that I cannot help but wonder why. With that mindset, I just shake my head in disbelief at the "disservice" that some of you folks are openly making towards this gentleman's property, AND to the Model-A hobby as a whole. Whatever happened to the Golden Rule, and the famous comment our Moms told us like 'If you Cannot say something nice, then don't say anything at all'.

I am not trying to be a 'forum police' or a troll in this but I would like to ask that all of us please step back to give thought and consideration about what information you are posting for the entire world to read. How would you honestly feel if the roles were reversed and folks were publicly blasting your own car?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #75
fingers

Well said Brent. I have been thinking about making the purchase and taking the car down to you for restoration. Are you up to it ???
fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #76
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wastler View Post
Brent, Since this forum is a discussion based forum and it is public, how are we supposed to offer opinions on any given subject? Not everyone sees things the same, and unless you know each and everyone personally, how do you know the majority of people posting don't have the ability to complete a restoration of these remains. Leaving out the deep pockets, which I have stated I don't have. Sounds like quite 'Elitest' based comments to me.
Well, my point was more to the facts. Folks have suggested that it didn't look like a Town Car. My thoughts are that if someone is not that well versed on the peculiarities and special features of this bodystyle, then wouldn't it be best to not state an opinion that has the possibility of being incorrect. Asking questions is fine but why doubt someone publicly on what someone has stated without first knowing the facts really does not seem like it is in the best interest for anyone or the hobby in general.

Next, to state publicly that it is not worth the asking price to them begs the question why someone feels compelled to make such a public statement, ...especially if they are not in the position to make the purchase. Doesn't this set an undertone to other readers how the vehicle is not worth this amount? Again, folks here are seemingly giving "armchair appraisals" regarding vehicles they really do not have knowledge about. By that, from my perspective it seems these are people whom have never studied these vehicles, nor have they physically inspected this particular vehicle. Therefore I fail to see how anything positive can come from such a scenario.

With regard to how folks are supposed to give opinions, my position is, why is there a need to even give an opinion? The thread started out asking if this was a known car or a recent find. You stated that it has been known about for sometime and then offered an unsolicited opinion that you felt the asking seemed high which opened the door for another person to give his opinion saying it was way too high. What qualified this individual to make this kind of public statement? Before long another uneducated person states he saw the video and it is nothing more than a Town Sedan. I agree these people are within their rights to voice their opinion however look at the integrity/validity damage that has been made towards the seller (--which I do not know nor have I spoken with) all because of misinformation. Look at all the corrections that have been made in this post due to misinformation written as 'fact'.

In your defense, it does seem like this is the direction that this forum is seeking to go, and probably why many of the "points guys" have backed away from public postings here. I forgot the exact phrase that was used but the general jest I heard was it gets old continually trying to correct all of the non-factual based opinions that are posted here. Oh well, I will back away and let y'all carry on. Have a great day everyone!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #77
Tom Wesenberg

For a car that isn't drivable, this car sure is getting a lot of mileage.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #78
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
For a car that isn't drivable, this car sure is getting a lot of mileage.
it is drivable its a Flintstone mobile
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #79
CometCyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wastler View Post
Wouldn't open, honest discussion in public forum help sell the car? I view it as this, it's been for sale for decades, and has not sold. It was offered at auction and did not sell. Granted its the remains of a town car, far from being original, correct or complete. Maybe given more correct information this vehicle could once again be viable to be purchased for restoration, but if it is priced at what could be looked at as competively with restored vehicles, does this not hurt the hobby as well?
It's been for sale for decades yes.But now it's in the hands of new owner.Why do you keep blaming me for the actions of my father???? If your brother kills somebody should I label you one aswell and treat you as such?
Old 03-10-2014, 07:37 PM   #80
Cape Codder

I don't know if this picture will be here but I thought someone wanted to see a one of a 1930 Town Car. I don't know the owner of this car or whether it is original or restored but in my eyes is sure is gorgeous. I took this at the New England Meet in Lake George 2009?

Hope you enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0531.JPG (169.4 KB, 124 views)
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote