Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-06-2014, 01:35 PM   #41
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Town Car In Swap Meet

bob thanks for posting that very interesting info
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:28 PM   #42
Stretch Cab

I think someone needs to buy it for a reasonable price and form a team of volunteers to restore it and then donate the car to the Model A Museum. We would gain a real jewel for the museum and the donar a hefty tax right off. I'm sure many would volunteer their services for advertisement rights. I know it would still take deep pockets beyond the original purchase. There is a B17 being built by volunteers un Ohio so why not a town car..........
Stretch Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:31 PM   #43
peters180a/170b

Bob J. thank you for the info and [hard parts list] .As i said in my last post I REALLY wish the seller good luck and sounds like a Honest person to deal with. I am sorry about hearing about his father. I do know about the person who owns the other 2 restored and frankly if he can not make a deal on this one then no one will. He of all people knows very well what it will take to restore and the price it should sell for in this shape.. I seen Bill Sturm work on a 1929 TownCar top & uph. what you don't want is to see the "COST"...
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #44
peters180a/170b

forever4 ....for years trying to find out the correct parts during the restoration of my 180A i too have drawings from the Archives [paying a visit downstairs] copies from the late Al. Lapore and the President of the 180A group Ross M. ..There is always the case that #1 drawing is followed by #2 drawing [updated] and so on and SOMETIMES the updated drawing winds up missing . you will find 1,2,3 and think that's it... not.. there could be 4 ,5 and 6 . I have argued with Bill Sturm on a number of parts. [cloth cover over the rearend under the rear seat.[its WHITE DUCK] as per Archives and not black top material found on Sedans. So what you are saying is the 140A the wood is the same for all TownCars 1928, 29-30 ??? No one can pin point the 180A bodies being build by Briggs and the changes they made 2 or 3 times or more in one month time. In the early stages of the 180A Briggs did what they wanted to do.. If it worked for Chevy it will work on a Ford... The rubber door parts are off a 1929 Chevy Sedan.

Last edited by peters180a/170b; 03-06-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:56 PM   #45
fords

Wow, unfortunately - someone with more ----y than -----s will buy it at a high price.
remember - Its only worth what a man is willing to buy it for.
fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #46
CometCyclone

The wood is clearly seen in the pictures... there are parts that are not pictured sitting in a pile in the passenger compartment.Some parts in boxes.Some parts already made such as the 2nd windshield posts.Acutally we had the originals but we lent ours out to another guy to duplicate for his TC and he made a 2nd restored set.Again you guys are speculating without talking to me about it.I will be heading out to the location of the car tomorrow to get some more pictures that were requested.
CometCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #47
Junior

I also believe it's worth what someone will pay. I have some very, very wealthy clients. With some, I learned long ago not to ask what a budget is on a upcoming project. They simply want the best money can buy and that's it. If these folks wanted this car they would buy it and not think twice about the cost. Reminds me of a Lake Tahoe trip I took with some buddies while in the military 20 years ago. I witnessed a very well known and popular actor throw down $500.00 on a blackjack table. He didn't even sit down. The dealer turned over a queen and his first card was a 7. He just walked away and never saw another card turn over. I remember saying to myself that's the coolest thing I've ever seen and or the stupidest. Still haven't decided, but I will never forget that as long as I live.

Consider this. Once worth $72 billion, a 6% rate of return would earn Gates roughly $114.16 per second he is alive, making it a poor investment for Bill Gates to bother picking up a $100 bill if he dropped it.

Bill Gates is 58 this year. If we assume that he will live for another 33 years, he has to spend $6 million per day to use up all of his wealth.

There are a lot of very wealthy prople out there and to them money is only something they have to use to get whatever they desire. How much they have to use really isn't a factor.

I think if this very rare car was marketed right, it could very well bring the asking price.

Last edited by Junior; 03-06-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #48
peters180a/170b

What i am saying Briggs use what ever they seem fit. Door rubber bumper parts used on a 1929 Chevy body , Briggs did experiments on the 180A bodies as the were building them [50 at a time].What we call crows feet [ metal bracket that bolted to the wood subrail was changed 3 times. ] One of the 180A cars i had ,the rear bumper arm to rear wood cross member did not have a rivet but a nut and bolt so that you can lift the body off without taking the back seat out and removing the 4 nuts and bolts holding the bracket to the rear wood cross member. I just wish some of the info. did not go up in flames.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #49
CometCyclone

pics added. some parts in question pictured... some in boxes and partial parts there too.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #50
CometCyclone

My phone seems to be not working...Phone company cannot fix until Monday.. Email me [email protected]
Old 03-08-2014, 07:22 AM   #51
dean from bozeman

It is great to see that there is another Model A "Holy Grail" out there.

I hope that Comet Cyclone gets a price that he is happy with.

I hope that it goes to someone who will do it justice and restore it to a fine point condition.

What it costs to buy and what it costs to restore, I don't care. I would just love to see it be reborn.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #52
dean from bozeman

Steve, some of the parts that you see are associated only with a Town Car. It's like that for us 3 digit ve28 Model A guys, but even more so for the Town Car guys. Some car parts are just extremely rare.

To collectors a 1916D Mercury dime in mint condition is worth $35,000. Even a 16D at the low grade of 12 is worth $2,700. To some it is just a dime that they wouldn't give more than 10 cents for.

Rare is rare. Whether it be coins, stamps, pottery or automobiles, if it is rare it commands a higher price. My mother-in-law once bought a vase at a garage sale that she thought was unusual. She paid $35 for it but said that she wouldn't have paid more. At a friend's request she put it on eBay and got $1,200 for it. Though it was only worth $35 to her to a collector the value was much greater.

Some folks don't collect so a collector driven price doesn't mean much. Guys at a grocery store might say that they would give me $1,500 for my Model A. Some (those who are collectors) would be insulted. I just realize that they are not collectors and not in the market so it doesn't have the same value.

I've heard of people who want to build an early '28 because they have an on-off-dim switch and that's just one part. Here we have a 1930 Town Car. It is just one of 3 known to exist! Is there any rarer Model A?

You and I, because we are not collectors of Town Cars, may not want to pay big bucks for it. You and I may not want to pay big bucks for a well worn coin. But there is value, big value in both. The coin will always be just a grade 12 1916D Mercury dime. To a collector they can see what this Town Car might become. I hope that Comet Cyclone finds that guy.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #53
Franchise_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean from bozeman View Post
Steve, some of the parts that you see are associated only with a Town Car. It's like that for us 3 digit ve28 Model A guys, but even more so for the Town Car guys. Some car parts are just extremely rare.

To collectors a 1916D Mercury dime in mint condition is worth $35,000. Even a 16D at the low grade of 12 is worth $2,700. To some it is just a dime that they wouldn't give more than 10 cents for.

Rare is rare. Whether it be coins, stamps, pottery or automobiles, if it is rare it commands a higher price. My mother-in-law once bought a vase at a garage sale that she thought was unusual. She paid $35 for it but said that she wouldn't have paid more. At a friend's request she put it on eBay and got $1,200 for it. Though it was only worth $35 to her to a collector the value was much greater.

Some folks don't collect so a collector driven price doesn't mean much. Guys at a grocery store might say that they would give me $1,500 for my Model A. Some (those who are collectors) would be insulted. I just realize that they are not collectors and not in the market so it doesn't have the same value.

I've heard of people who want to build an early '28 because they have an on-off-dim switch and that's just one part. Here we have a 1930 Town Car. It is just one of 3 known to exist! Is there any rarer Model A?

You and I, because we are not collectors of Town Cars, may not want to pay big bucks for it. You and I may not want to pay big bucks for a well worn coin. But there is value, big value in both. The coin will always be just a grade 12 1916D Mercury dime. To a collector they can see what this Town Car might become. I hope that Comet Cyclone finds that guy.
Well said Dean!!
Old 03-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #54
kelley's restoration

i think it would be cool to just get the mechanicals fixed
brace up all the realllllly bad areas (which there are many)
and drive it, show it, heck judge it
but at least somehow get it back on the road
price is price
value is value
but there are VERY few people in this WORLD that can fix that car, and they would be doing this just for the chalange not for the profit involved in fixing it
its not mine so what i say really doesnt hold much water, but i think it would be a real neat deal if the car was bought by a non for proffit and was restored by peole as a donation to then ford museum
tk
Old 03-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #55
peters180a/170b

I would like to see such a fund start just to buy the car ,, but first based on a expert on 1930 TownCars makes the call if there is enough to restore it or parts that can be copied off of another 1930 TownCar. Something like the 1M Ford. ..To the Model "A' Ford Museum. I know most of us have extra parts restored or not to help out.. I do...
Old 03-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #56
ronn

Steve,
I tend to concur with you. I was willing to pay quite a bit more a few years back, because I wtd a towncar so badly. Today I wouldn't want to take the project on, it is just out of my league both financially and capability wise. It is also far from being a complete and accurate car.
It appears there are many views on this board and some tend to shoot high and some low (as in valuing A189....).
In the end, if it doesn't sell, then so be it. That is the way life goes and we all have choices to make regarding buying and selling and what we own and don't own.
Just remember, dreaming is free............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #57
dave in australia

Dean, there is a rarer A than 1 of 3 1930 TC's. It is 1 of 2 fabric bodied 1929 fordors. Both are still alive too.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:14 PM   #58
Deluxe Delivery Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wastler View Post
I have obviously struck a chord in some regarding my opinion, both stated public and private. While I will agree that all things have value to whomever. I also believe, this one do to anyone not being able to agree on a value, is unfortunately headed to extinction, to mines and anyone's displeasure. Can't help it, that's how I feel. It's been going on since at least the prior auction in 1988.

If my opinions offend anyone, please block my posts, it won't offend me.

One doesn't have to be able to afford the specific item to determine value. Town car collectors have a stake at seeing it sell as high as possible and would be willing to 'adjust the market' at will.

I still don't see it over 20k.
Steve ,I have to totally agree on all your points. Based on the current pictures and info that we all have here. In my personal opinion I don't see it over $10,000. There is just not enough ORIGINAL PARTS there . A chassis is a chassis ,but the rest COULD be a bottomless pit. If it was purchased by a group to restore it ,and donated it to a museum ,I would possibly donate some funds to help restore it to preserve it. BUT it is going to take a LOT of Money. Remember guys we are All entitled to our opinions.
Deluxe Delivery Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #59
dave in australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
What about one of one Stainless Steel Tudor Sedans. I'd like to own that one!

1931 Stainless Steel Tudor Sedan on Ford Garage
All extremely rare.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:48 PM   #60
Tudortomnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in australia View Post
All extremely rare.
Yes, the Australian fabric panelled [ the whole body] '29 fordors are rare, but they also did some Tudors [ none exist?] plus at least one in Canada.
The Budd body Fordor [ with non Ford chassis] prototype, the 1931 3W Coupe & the first Town Car prototype [ aluminium by LeBaron] are probably the rarest?
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote