Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Afraid to post barners...

I got to thinking today about the posting of questions on Fordbarn.

I wonder just how many of you, when reading a post of your interest, have some great knowledge in the subject but are not willing to share that knowledge with the rest of us and why is that?

Just courious.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Pete

Default Re: Afraid to post barners...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post

I wonder just how many of you, when reading a post of your interest, have some great knowledge in the subject but are not willing to share that knowledge with the rest of us and why is that?

Just courious.

Pluck
It doesn't take a Scotland Yard detective to figure that out.
There are quite a few people on here that essentially know all there is to know about model A's. Then there are the ones that don't know their ass from first base but are quick to give all kinds of wrong info. Then there are the thread hi-jackers. Post some info right off the Ford blueprints and see how long it takes for some dimwit to start an argument about it.
It becomes too big of a hassle to answer the simplest question after awhile.
If you think it's bad here, go over on the Ahooga forum and look around.

Last edited by Pete; 12-09-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
silversink

We fear the bully's and grammar cops
Old 12-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Rowdy
BANNED

I fear nothing, but often don't post answers after being bashed several times for always having parts for sale. To an extent this is an ungreatful lot at times IMHO. The hobbie is alot more fun when not being harrassed by the same people you are trying to help. Rod
Old 12-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
Joe K

I have been around the Model A for a while now. The better part of 40 years. If not in fact (having to work for a living during the day), certainly in spirit. I'm fortunate to also be a graduate mechanical engineer with an interest in things mechanical and historical -AND for doing the work with my own hands.

Probably the closest I have come to giving the board the middle finger was related to discussion of whether a drain tube is REQUIRED (at threat of puddle in the driveway) from the engine rear main.

Frankly I was a little put off by those (and there was more than one) who claimed that I was daft and certainly needed to get more experience in life if not turn in my license to exist AT ALL for making a claim that I could see not reason for the tube. And my Model A didn't leak a drop WITHOUT the tube and with 70K miles on a worn out engine.

And that was the fact. Only on opening that engine for the first time (to tighten bearings) and comparing the pix with the pix in the Pages Model A Ford book did I know the tube was even missing. It went back together without the tube and existed as such until rebuilt when the rebuilder came up with a new tube for me.

It wasn't so much the differing opinion (and I can take that as opines can differ) but rather the attitude on which it was presented. And the hubris of those who claimed otherwise.

It was like no other possibility can exist EXCEPT their perception of the world. And how dare I think otherwise?

But I chalked it all up to the fact that some come though life and develop a hard shell (or sharp edges) and others yield to pressure. I consider myself somewhere in between on this. And no doubt others will be harder and softer. I just happened to find the hard ones.

And that happens too.

And I concluded that this forum is like many - and like a party with a gathering of like minds. Some minds you admire and respect and would wish to meet again - and some minds you would just as soon had not showed for the party.

I don't think the experience has held me back much. I seem to have something to contribute and I count myself fortunate the board is (generally) patient enough to let me have my say.

Just as I am patient for these others.

It's a relationship I hope to continue.

Joe K
Old 12-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
SteveB31

I think sometimes, some folks are reluctant to post, as the answers they get often consist of 10 wrong answers, 5 sarcastic answers, 10 sarcastic comments to the sarcastic answers, and 1 correct answer that is challenged by the 10 guys that gave the wrong answer. So......it is easier just to pick up the phone and ask someone that knows the answer.

Too much ridicule
Too much sarcasm.
Not enough substance.

Now....this is not always the case. Many, many great questions and great answers. Just a few sour apples spoil it for others.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
ford3

i dont give a shit about the bullys or the grammer cops, the bullys dont know squat and dont want any one to find that out, so they try to keep the real model a guys from answering the questions, the grammer cops are the ones who think they are smarter than any one posting in here, they also dont know shit and hide that by changing the post to hide thier ignorance, Ryan should kick both there asses out of here,we need only the ones who are interested in helping any one who posts a question on here
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
48fordnut

Fairly new here, and extremely new to Model a. There is lots to be learned, and some of the older guys share. Some times the stroke of the key board does not come across as the spoken word.
I'm on the HAMB, as well and mostly it's taken with a grain of salt. Lots of youngsters there.
48fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
quickchange

I hope we all melow as we age ?? I have learned like a good politician to not to be radical on here & go with the flow, However really appreciate the info & the odd bun fight is ok, Happy to help anyone if i can & know after 40 years ill still get it wrong .
Main thing is to keep the A,s alive & not to be too narrow minded , we have proggressed in the past 85 years, & not everyones views are the same , GIVE & you shall REAP , Derek from a hot sunny NZ sitting by the pool drinking cold beers ,
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
BlueSunoco

Steve I see people getting more and more violent towards each other, on all of the social web sites. Not sure just why, Fordbarn
is fairly civil but sometimes even IT gets ugly. A few here want to get nasty with others for what ever reason. I've been watching Fordbarn for quite a long time.

That would be my guess as to your question. Easier to be a lurker and just wade through all of the postings to decide who knows what they are talking about and ditch the rest.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post

Just courious.

Pluck

It happens at times. Some posts and responses are argumentative, sarcastic and down right nasty. That puts some folks off and has probably caused some to go elsewhere. Some responses are just plain wrong, but, the vast majority are correct as there is usually more than one way to do something. This is a tough medium to communicate through and its easy to get things confused. But, what I have found over the years is that there is a wealth of valuable information to be found here and most fellas are eager to try and help.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
ronn

Some questions are interesting one week and forgotten the next-depends where you're at during that moment of your life....
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
WTSHNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversink View Post
We fear the bully's and grammar cops

I believe you meant "bullies."

Sorry. I had to.

-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #14
marc hildebrant

I have slowed way down posting here. To be honest, I'm tired of reading the same type of replies from both the "Know it All" and the Bullies...

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #15
KR500

I value the term from posters who start with In My Opinion, this at least tells me the poster is not a know it all but does give credible info usually from experience. There are fortunately many of the guys who post and I value the knowledge from posters such as Tom Wesenberg, Marco T., Bill Williamson, and others. A fix suggested by others doesn't always suit the situation and only experience can help you do a fix. There are no free scholarships from the school of experience.
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #16
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc hildebrant View Post
I have slowed way down posting here. To be honest, I'm tired of reading the same type of replies from both the "Know it All" and the Bullies...

Marc
Me too. Seems like there's a handful of people (or less) that just have the mentality that they are never wrong, and put others down for their opinions. Personally I think there's many different ways to skin a cat, and as long as you get the same end result who cares which way the job was done. Also those same people tend to "police" the website and It turns a lot of people off from posting in fear of getting bitched at by people who have no right to tell someone what they can or cannot post. I'm a pretty easy going guy, I'm like a duck, if it doesn't rain, I'll walk. I post when a certain thread interest me, or I may even just pm the member who posted the thread, and give them my response that way, so I can avoid ridicule from select few.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #17
trulyvintage

Lightbulb No one knows everything

No one knows everything ...

Just ask your wife if you doubt that ....

Those that can help - usually do ...

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #18
Gary WA

I for one am not afraid of ANYONE on this site. At 64 I've been into Model a's since 12yrs old. The answers I give and post and questions are the way I do it, and there are others. If I'm wrong i will tell you. No one on this site or another site is 100% correct with any answer, I don't care who you are! Feel free to come for a visit to my house and I'll tell you the same to your face. Have a great Day! Keep those A's Running!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (76.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 12-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #19
ford3

what you guys dont under stand is Ryan is the only one who can say what is or insnt posted on here, the rest are just wanabes, and they have no right critizing any one, just tell the the jerks to kiss your a** and go play some where else, post what you want and ignore the other idiots, dont let them chase you off this site, if you do they win and the rest of us lose, if you show them up for what they are even jerks will be embaressed enough to shut uo or leave, jmho
Old 12-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #20
whizzernick

JOE K
I agree with most of you but you( JOE K ) brought up somthing. drain tube in rear main.
I know nothing about model A--- I am a V-8 person----but I have been told the tube is so as when you are on a hill the rear main will get oil. Ive also been told that a V-8
is designed to leak a table spoon or is that tea spoon of oil everytime you shut down.
All my V8 cars do it. I was also told that the reason for bent cotter pin in the bottom of bell houseing was so oil could leak out and pin would keep hole clean.
Is this the same info or corect info for model A
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #21
machine girl

we post very little because of our (modified) model As, we build drivers not so much lookers.
machine girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #22
ford3

yep correct for the A also, if no hole oil will build up in the bell housing and evenualy be thrown on the pressure plate and clutch
Old 12-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #23
Joe K

At the risk of thread drift I will state that the slinger ring and encircling lip SHOULD keep the oil in the engine. Although the cotter is certainly on the flywheel housing hole to keep it clear - otherwise going through a puddle with the hole blocked with oil and dirt MAY cause the flywheel housing to fill with water.

As to the drainback tube, I saw it as Ford attempting to "route" oil back to the sump rather than have it dribble down the rear wall of the oil pan. Others claim it NECESSARY for proper drainage - a hydraulic fact that escapes me since the top end of the tube is concurrent with the crankcase and no syphon action can form.

But each will believe what they will.

Lets get back to discussing WHY there might be someone at our party reluctant to discuss the salt on the peanuts, or the hors d'oeuvres, or the new color of the hostess' dress.

Joe K
Old 12-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #24
ford3

drivers are where the hobby is at, lookers are nice garage art
Old 12-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #25
Bob-A

Cool Re: Afraid to post barners...

If I try and answer someone's question I usually begin with: "I believe, I've read or I think". If I know for 100% sure about something I say: "This is how I did it, this is what works for me or this is what I have seen". A good exampe {I hope I don't put my foot in my mouth!} is the recent thread about Bonnie & Clyde and the history of them. Every statement I made about them is something I read or was told by someone who I believe and trust to be
knowledgeable on the subject. As to whether what I posted is 100% correct. I have absolutely no idea, I was not there.

One of the funnist things someone said in a somewhat demeaning way toward me. Was in a thread where I descibed about all the accessories I was going to put on my '29 roadster. Their come back was: "...that will make it look like a clown car..."! My reply was: "Wow, thanks,
I've been looking for a name for my roadster {I name all my vehicles} and clown car will fit perfectly.". Mom'a always said "Kill'em with kindness".

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #26
Phil

Some are uneasy about about posting a question because some will answer "check the judging standards or use the the search feature" . Many times people just need to discuss things with friends. I feel so sorry for guys who get slammed with there comebacks.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #27
James Rogers

I agree with Pete. I have slowed down posting because I probably don't know much.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #28
pooch

I have only been here for a couple of years and nearly all guys seem cool, give good and friendly and helpful info.

There is only one bully/ know it all here I don't particularly like.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #29
mot

this is a model A forum
there is also the Hamb forum
but people will come on here and taunt the rest by stating ,"i know this is going to bother the ""purists"" "
what is so wrong about answering a question or asking a question without putting the "purist" word in there?
if a person is asking about a specific part
I dont know if hes going to hot rod the car or get it ready for fine point judging
if you give the correct answer as for blue point, then some one will pop in with
"you dont need to do that ,as its only for purists"
if the question was answered correctly why the interjection?

as for the ones who get mad when someone states ."did you look in the JS?
sometimes the answer is complicated ,and involves much more than a simple yes or no
that is when its appropriate to refer them to the JS
after all, those people have bought the JS ,and with that they support the clubs
seems like everyone wants something for free
and have someone to look it up for them

sure its nice and sure lots of people can do it
but when i go out search for the part in question
take a photo of it and post it
then get absolutly no thank you or response
or worse, "thats only if your a purist" comment
it turns me off and i have answered over a thousand questions off line off line
ive emptied my mail box several times with 500 messages in it
but, by doing that many others looking for the correct answer will not get the answer

i just cant understand people reading a post that they have no interest in and then slamming it
if you dont like my posts or anyone elses post then just dont read it
there are many posts i never open
you can read form some of the sarcastic answers the exact reason many dont post anymore
i thought this was a forum where people could share information
not blast others who do post with correct answers
tom moniz

Last edited by mot; 12-08-2013 at 07:36 PM. Reason: add to
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #30
Roadster62

This isn't as helpfull a bunch as those on the HAMB. It takes a while to weed out the negative posters. Not everyone is into "Fine Point" but I do find some of that historical stuff interesting. If there was a way to ID the degree of your "Restoration" or enjoyment of the hobby maybe like minded members would post an answer. A guy with a running Barn Find isn't going to get a friendly reply from a Show Car guy, we don't share the same enjoyment goals. Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Some are uneasy about about posting a question because some will answer "check the judging standards or use the the search feature" . Many times people just need to discuss things with friends. I feel so sorry for guys who get slammed with there comebacks.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #31
MrWzrd
BANNED

The answer to this question is on page 545, paragraph 2 and illustration 14 of the judging standards.
MrWzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #32
MrWzrd
BANNED

Wow... was my post the most useful one on this topic or what?
MrWzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #33
RUNNERBUN

Some of us know nothing.
Some of us know very little.
Some of us know a bit more.
Some of us know enough to get by.
Some of us know quite a bit.
Some of us know nearly everything.
Some do know everything or can work it out themselves.
Some of us think they know everything.

No matter where you are in the above list, "The Board" is big enough for all of us.

If you keep an open mind, even the best of us will learn something new.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #34
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNNERBUN View Post
Some of us know nothing.
Some of us know very little.
Some of us know a bit more.
Some of us know enough to get by.
Some of us know quite a bit.
Some of us know nearly everything.
Some do know everything or can work it out themselves.
Some of us think they know everything.

No matter where you are in the above list, "The Board" is big enough for all of us.

If you keep an open mind, even the best of us will learn something new.

Only a 2 lb hammer ? See, learn something new every day !
Old 12-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #35
darrylkmc

I know that I will not be using the term "the Old Timers" Said, Did, Told Me, Showed Me or whatever again anytime soon.

Darryl in Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #36
Fred K-OR

Steve,

I think if a person has a "thin skin" then they can have a problem with that disability anywhere. So why not let things roll and see what comes out. There have been some very good people on this site that have helped many people and they are the ones who will keep doing that service under just about any situation. The others that quit the site because someone said a couple of things to them they didn't like will leave whether they are the "good" people or not. So you can't please them all. We hope some of these "good" people that do help a lot of people have a thick enough skin to ignore the stupid remarks and let the administrators of this site take care of these types.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #37
mack4759

Some of us don't post answers because we are in "Runnerbun's" first category -- Some of us know nothing. I bought my Model A because my dad raved about his first car a 1930 coupe. I thought we would have fun working on it together. He was going to be my expert. Then he died. With no one to turn to my son got involved and we both turned to the FordBarn for help. We've found varied answers to our questions but have found the answer that solves our problem every time.

I want to thank those who do post because they have made this hobby a fun hobby. Because of those posting our car doesn't sit in the garage -- it gets driven and we have fun doing it.

Thanks,

Robert
mack4759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #38
brum1

For me it all comes down to time, still working hard for a living and sometimes can only scan, if I have experience with a prticular problem/solution and I see no one has responded I will generally post. Being in the Model A hobby less than 5 years I tend to ask more questions than I answer
Old 12-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #39
Tinbasher

I add info as I can. Every little bit helps. Never a dum question.

Tinbasher
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #40
BILL WILLIAMSON

What keeps me going is the P.M.'s I sometime recieve that thank me for some info that REALLY helped them. Bill W.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #41
Tom Wesenberg

I'm only allowed one post a day, and now I just blew it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #42
Lorenzo

I love Ford Barn and all the input, from expert, pretty hip, in-between (that's me), dumb as hell, to novice. As a gift to you, my fellow Barners, I offer you this bit of goodness:

Attitude
by Charles Swindoll

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than the facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company ... a church ... a home. The remarkable thing is, we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past ... we cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude ... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you ... we are in charge of our attitudes."

You are welcome. Meanwhile, those who are distressed might take two aspirins and admit that folks who can properly punctuate contractions are not all so bad... No worse than someone who can properly rivet a Model A frame together. We are all good for something - know what we know, y'know?
Lorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #43
Lorenzo

Tom, you are my fave barner. Steve - great question.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #44
charles in east texas

Orange Crush was the best orange drink ever made. Charles
charles in east texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #45
ctvpa

I try to at least answer to "new to Model A" people. However I often PM them, because there are many nice people here, I have learned a lot, and I have met some men who email me rather often. There are a few who know everything, and make rude comments. I don't bother responding to them, I'm not going to make a fight. But I will PM the person who asked a question, and say "Look, I read what was sent to you, I don't believe this to be true because.......". By using the PM, I avoid the kickback.
If you don't believe me, start a new thread that says "Should I get white walls or not"
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #46
glenn in camino

I've been working on and restoring Model As since the late 60s and have experienced many ups and downs. I hope to keep new barners from having some of my bad experiences.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #47
Lorenzo

That is funny, ctvpa! I hold with the blackwall faction.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #48
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
I love Ford Barn and all the input, from expert, pretty hip, in-between (that's me), dumb as hell, to novice. As a gift to you, my fellow Barners, I offer you this bit of goodness:

Attitude
by Charles Swindoll

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than the facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company ... a church ... a home. The remarkable thing is, we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past ... we cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude ... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you ... we are in charge of our attitudes."

You are welcome. Meanwhile, those who are distressed might take two aspirins and admit that folks who can properly punctuate contractions are not all so bad... No worse than someone who can properly rivet a Model A frame together. We are all good for something - know what we know, y'know?
Lorenzo, you hit the nail on the head with that article.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #49
68HILLBILLY

I am very thankful for the help I receive on this site. Lots of info from people with years of experience. I mostly read and not post because I am fairly new to the A hobby. about 7 or so years.
68HILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #50
jr-41ford

I will post an answer or question once in awhile, but I prefer to read and learn from others.

I've been a car guy since I was 14, mostly classic cars and street rods. I bought my first Model A 6 years ago, my second one last year and wish I would of bought one years ago.

I am still very much a novice when it comes to Model As, but I continue to gain a lot of knowledge from many of the great folks here on Fordbarn. So I will continue to lurk in the background and read the posts.

I've been told by my wife and many other family and friends that I spend a lot more time driving my Model A than I do my street rods, the last few years. I just smile.
jr-41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #51
Elcastor

I usually do not post my opinion because I know that there are MANY on the Barn here that know a LOT MORE than I do when it comes to Model A repairs. I learn a LOT more than I contribute, and am very grateful for those that are so helpful. Being in Mexico there are none to consult with locally.
Elcastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #52
Lorenzo

Que tal, loco? Bien, bien, bien? Pues, bien. I live in Salinas, CA, which is much like Mexico. Spent a few weeks down there and learned that most folks think a Model A Ford is a ... car. Go figger!
Old 12-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #53
david801

Yes, afraid to post. I have been on the receiving end of some harsh comments. I like what SteveB31 said: Many, many great questions and great answers. Just a few sour apples spoil it for others.
david801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #54
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
I think sometimes, some folks are reluctant to post, as the answers they get often consist of 10 wrong answers, 5 sarcastic answers, 10 sarcastic comments to the sarcastic answers, and 1 correct answer that is challenged by the 10 guys that gave the wrong answer. So......it is easier just to pick up the phone and ask someone that knows the answer.

Too much ridicule
Too much sarcasm.
Not enough substance.

Now....this is not always the case. Many, many great questions and great answers. Just a few sour apples spoil it for others.
I think this pretty well sums it up. Thanks Steve for posting.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #55
darrylkmc

Here is one reason, no explanation, this happened in the last few minutes over a private message, pm

ford3
BANNED
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #56
Franchise_24

Why did Ford3 get banned? I didn't notice anything public that would warrant that, but who knows about private.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #57
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Most of us are of a time when face to face or at least telephone communications were the norm. You could hear the inflections in ones voice and tell sarcasm and such. It is much harder with the written word.

We are all different and take things different ways. Some have the talent to explain things easily. Some go out of there way and write long answers to explain what and why. Others only give a short to the point answers.

I truly believe there are very very few know it alls that are willing to tell you that they know it all here on the barn. I also truly believe that the VAST majority want to help. I would like to think that is an incorrect answer is given the one that posted it has learned a thing. I know I have posted my share of wrong answers that I have sworn were correct only to find that they were old wives tales. I often PM that person to get additional information to be sure i have it clear.

While I like to consider myself a purist, one look at my car and you would say WTF? It is far from correct. If someone posts that they are changing something on their car i like to know why. Are they making the change due to old wives tales of is there a true need. Remember the thread about placing medical equipment in the A so the owner could still enjoy a ride? I have no problem in assisting that person in getting information on voltage conversion. If an owner feel he has to more to 12 volts because it is better than 6 volts you will hear from me. Remember the ad "an educated consumer is our best customer"? that goes for me and the A.

Last thing, I apologize to anyone that have taken any of my posts as insults, that was not my intent, i'm sorry. I was not born into this and started this hobby later then a lot of you. I have learned, and continue to learn, about these cars each day and only want to give back what i can.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:57 AM   #58
BlueSunoco

Nobody falls out of the womb knowing all about a Model A Ford. And, there is no such thing as the guy who can't be replaced, because no matter who you are or who you THINK you are, yes you can. This I have learned though life's experiences. It has to do with humility.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:31 AM   #59
Fdohnke

Great picture!
Fdohnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:39 AM   #60
H. L. Chauvin

Humble Opinion:

FWIW:

I have owned & worked on my $25.00 1930 Model A Coupe for 55 years at a time when parts were scarce, money was scarce, & everything was "make do".

The wonderful 90 year old mechanic gentleman & neighbor I bought my coupe from in 1958 had a stroke this past September, 2013 & is sadly living on life support tubes.

When young, appears we all witness that some cannot wait until they are mature to say they have 30 or so years of technical experience.

After 50 years experience, we all witness that some gray haired or bald individuals are reluctant to divulge how long they have been doing something for fear others may assume that such older seniors may have become feeble minded.

In the autumn of our days, in seeing others our age beginning to fade away, we start to realize that life is so short; not just life in general; but also that some experience a much shorter "healthy" & full life.

Appears it may not always be beneficial or wise to relate to others what one does for a living or what did in one's past life when offering Model A Forum suggestions.

Anyway, while being busy lately with work, one thing I did learn while working on Model A's through the years, (just in case one may want to write it down in their copies of Judging Standards or general notes), is that if you drink a lot of beer when working on your Model A, you pee a lot more often than if you drink lemonade.

Just sharing a first hand, highly technical true & real Model A experience -- hope this helps!
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #61
Greg Jones

In the autumn of our days, in seeing others our age beginning to fade away, we start to realize that life is so short; not just life in general; but also that some experience a much shorter "healthy" & full life.

.. if you drink a lot of beer when working on your Model A, you pee a lot more often than if you drink lemonade

Two very important truths.
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #62
Patrick L.

is that if you drink a lot of beer when working on your Model A, you pee a lot more often than if you drink lemonade.
end quote

Good tip ! I'll have to try that out. I tend to use a lot more of the former than the latter.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #63
Terry,NJ

Who is what? And to whom? Each of us perceives answers differently. I for the life of me, can't figure out who the "bullies" are. I've never felt "Bullied" in here (Except when I got political in some threads and they got deleted, Cut me some slack, I'm part Irish and politics is in my DNA) But that's a small matter and the rules are......... I'm usually asking, not telling. Most oldtimers probably forgot more than I know. However, I do post with some authority on matters involving machine work, which I earned my groceries, doing for over twenty years. However, The wind up of this is that if I have offended someone, I apologize. That was never my intention. I've met a few FBers and I think they would confirm my lack of bad character.
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #64
BlueSunoco

H.L., so are you saying that when working on your 'A' you tend to get p--sed off
Old 12-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #65
newshirt

I'm afraid to post because I know about 1/1000 of what other guys know. But I still try because that helps me learn. Lurking and reading only takes you so far. At some point you have to jump into the conversation, but you risk saying stupid things you regret later. So I limit my posts to areas I've had first-hand experience, which is not a lot.

I appreciate the barn and read it every day!
Old 12-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #66
stallerl

Whenever I post I post questions. I'm new with Model A's but not with old cars and restorations. I've been around 'old' cars for 50 years and if there's one thing I've learned it is not necessary to try and reinvent the wheel. I've learned that no matter what it is I'm doing someone else has already been there. So, I ask a question (or two) to find out how to do something instead of spending too much time trying to figure it. I have always received excellent input and advice from other posters helping me get my projects done. And, if there is a negative remake made I find myself chuckling at it and moving on. This forum is incredibly valuable to many people. I'm pretty sure there are many members that never post at all in fear of getting beat down or made to look dumb, but they are reading other's posts often, to learn how to do something.
I think the best way to face this issue is to ask your question and then filter out the returned comments that are self serving or negative in nature and get on with it. Enjoy your Model A and the true friends you meet along the way. I am!
stallerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #67
cushman man

It was said to be as a young man HE WHO KNOWS EVERTHING IS IN DEEP TROUBLE. I have never forgot it. I was very blessed to have worked with many people and found that to be true. I do love this forum and read it every day.
cushman man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #68
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post

Too much ridicule
Too much sarcasm.
Not enough substance.

Where is the "like" Button?

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #69
ctvpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
I'm afraid to post because I know about 1/1000 of what other guys know. But I still try because that helps me learn. Lurking and reading only takes you so far. At some point you have to jump into the conversation, but you risk saying stupid things you regret later. So I limit my posts to areas I've had first-hand experience, which is not a lot.

I appreciate the barn and read it every day!

But that 1/1000 that you DO know, might be the piece of information I need.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #70
heneste

I think people may be scared off by negative feedback they may get. As it was mentioned, no one knows everything since everyone has a different level of expertise and hopefully others will be lenient.

The good thing about posting is that we help each other out. Even when we make mistakes and offer what we think is a proper solution/diagnosis to a problem and it turns out to be wrong, by posting it on the barn, it let's others discuss it and possibly everyone learns along the way!

I know I've learned alot on this site (and still have plenty to learn) and hopefully I can contribute back.
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #71
Roadster Rich

Wow, I guess I have missed a lot on this site. I never look at the criticism or comments as horrible as many others I guess. I have worked on my Roadster for 45 years, and sometimes will comment, but I have found that I am more of a learner than the teacher. I find that most of the experiences I have had, were done in a less than efficient way (kind of going around the barn to get in the front door), and really the posts from the most knowledgeable (Marco, Tom W, Brent, Purdy, etc) are much better than my advice. If I have something of value, there is no concern to me about how it will be received!
Roadster Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #72
karasmer

Wow, it is great to see a thread urging questions and answers. Over on the T site there is a thread that was posted a couple weeks ago basically urging people to "not ask questions" read the books first" (really) and most agreed, I had to post with a differing opinion. It is obvious though people are afraid to post with the amount of PM's I get and the lengthy time period for answers to my questions. I do a quick search though before asking but will not spend a whole lot of time before asking so please keep the great answers coming, much appreciated.
karasmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #73
nhusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Humble Opinion:

if you drink a lot of beer when working on your Model A, you pee a lot more often than if you drink lemonade.
I Know the answer to that one ---

Beer doesn't have to slow down to change color !
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #74
Pat Martone

I have only been a Model A hobbyist for a couple of years, but I have learned so much from this website, both as lurker and as a person asking for, and occasionally offering, advice.

I do not recall experiencing any negative or unhelpful responses; perhaps I have been lucky.

I am grateful to many people, including Purdy and Brent, who have responded positively to my many public and private inquiries.

Fordbarn is a fantastic website, and I learn something new everytime I visit, which is almost daily. Thank you.
Pat Martone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #75
TommyCoupe

I agree with Pat. I have learned a ton from the folks on the Barn.
My father, who owns 2 fully restored A's, sometimes asks me if I'd like to use his restoration books, and most of the time my response is "No, I'd rather post something on the Barn".
I enjoy the opinions from everyone who replies to my inquiries. Sometimes the different opinions help me to make my own decisions, instead of just going by the book.
That's whats going to make my car unique, and mine.

I will say that I am sometimes reluctant to post responses, because I'm not restoring a points car, so I don't want to tell people how I have done things, if they're restoring their car to a higher standard.

Tommy-
TommyCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #76
lasjts

For some of us "old in age" but new to the sport, I find it most useful to get a few opinions from the post, filter out the BS from AH's, and make your own decision at the end of the day. I usually garner a little something from the different opinions.

Many Thanks to all the good veterans that continue to post and help some of out so much! Happy holidays.
lasjts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #77
Ross/Kzoo

I ,too, enjoy hearing the opinions and experiences of many on the Fordbarn. Most are more than willing to share what worked for them even if it wasn't detailed in the "book". Many of the questions asked here have been asked and answered before but that may have been last year or 5 years ago so to bring it forward and get new opinions and procedures is helpful.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #78
Skeezixx

I find the forum is divided into two groups:

Whitewall Supremacists
&
Blackwall Panthers

Why can't we all just get along?
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #79
Tiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezixx View Post
I find the forum is divided into two groups:

Whitewall Supremacists
&
Blackwall Panthers

Why can't we all just get along?
Now that's funny!!!!
I hope that I am helpful here and don't come across as too sarcastic. I try to be a "good contributing" member. If I know the answer to a question I will try to answer it and help the other guy out. I am a relatively new Model A owner but I grew up in a Model A family with a dad who has an encyclopedia like knowledge of A's. I love theses ladies and would help anyone get there's going. To the new guys I would say, spend some time searching then if you still need too,ask. It's a great bunch here and we are always willing to help.

Unless it's a ratrodthat craps like an 80 year old grandma with pierced nipples and tattoos!!!! Just wrong

Blackwall Panthers forever
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #80
28RPU

Well, I am not afraid to post; heck, its the internet, who can possibly hurt you? I don't post much cause I don't know shite from shineola when it comes to Model As. I just come here to learn from those that have messed with them for a lifetime. I have only had two. One I sold before I could work on it and the one I have now that has no problems for me to fix.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #81
redmodelt

Re: Afraid to post barners...
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin
Humble Opinion:

if you drink a lot of beer when working on your Model A, you pee a lot more often than if you drink lemonade.

I Know the answer to that one ---

Beer doesn't have to slow down to change color !
Or:
Lemonade is sour/bitter and you hold it inside, beer flows freely and you let it out and enjoy life.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #82
fredski

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
I agree with Pete. I have slowed down posting because I probably don't know much.
bad idea///// have noticed your absence lately.

I thought you were quite knowledgeable.

fredski
fredski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #83
Greg out west

Question Re: Afraid to post barners...

Hi guy's

I ran the club raffle for a few year's...Seemed the big mouth didn't buy many ticket's,, but complained about the "prizes"

Latter in the meeting the President was asking for donation's for some good cause..I remembered the whole place went silent...

So,,,If you want to "Stop" the loud mouth's,,,I guess just ask for a donation

Greg out West
Greg out west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #84
Fred K-OR

I think the post has explored enough comments!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #85
Ken Ehrenhofer

In 1961 I bought a Model A Ford. I was 17 years old....did not know anything about them so I joined the Model A Restorers club and asked questions....questions ,,,and more questions...and I started to learn something because this hobby is filled with the most interesting and talented people. Eventually, at some point I was able to start answering questions to newer members of our club and I have been doing it ever since......but I still need to go back and ask questions of some of that talent because I do not know everything about Model A's. Often I think about those old timers who helped me in the beginning and I try to pass it forward to anyone I can. I thought I knew quite a bit until 2 years ago I bought an AA and then I started to drink heavily.....Still having a great time in this hobby and will be in the Greenfield Shops this week to work on the bus. Wish I had more time to post but I am busy working on Model A's and having fun.....When I have a question I go to the "Barn" Ford Barn that is.....You guys are a big help to all Model A'ers Keep up the good work
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #86
C4engr

Ford Barn is a great source of info. There are many who take the Model A to heart and will do anything to get you a straight up answer that will get you back in business. The PM option is fantastic. PM gives you the personal touch.

Rog
C4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #87
Tom Wesenberg

It costs nothing but a couple minutes of time to type out an answer to try to help someone keep their Model A on the road. Why shouldn't a person give out the information to help someone? It's not like you are giving out the cure for cancer and will loose millions on royalties.

What gets me is there are other car sites, (mostly modern) where the guys ask for big bucks for a simple answer. Just for kicks a few years ago I asked how to change the thermostat on my 1991 Olds 88 with 3.8 engine. It's just one bolt and an O ring that holds the cover over the thermostat, but I was told to remove the 2 bolts and gasket to change the thermostat, and he wanted $30 for the wrong answer. No, I didn't pay.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #88
Phil

Thanks Tiny,

Now I got to get that mental picture out my mind!!
Old 12-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #89
Phil

Well said Tom. Thanks for all you do for the hobby.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #90
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4engr View Post
Ford Barn is a great source of info. There are many who take the Model A to heart and will do anything to get you a straight up answer that will get you back in business. The PM option is fantastic. PM gives you the personal touch.

Rog
I very often answer in a PM if what I have to say might construed by some as controversial -- things like alternator, overdrive, those carbs like the avitar in post # 87, . . . well you get the idea.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #91
Joe K

Quote:
What gets me is there are other car sites, (mostly modern) where the guys ask for big bucks for a simple answer.
Whaa? For me that would be a signal to go to another forum.

Or maybe at least request a second opinion so I could balance veracity against cost.

Kidding on that latter.

Joe K
Old 12-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #92
Joe K

Quote:
Well, I am not afraid to post; heck, its the internet, who can possibly hurt you? I don't post much cause I don't know shite from shineola when it comes to Model As. I just come here to learn from those that have messed with them for a lifetime. I have only had two. One I sold before I could work on it and the one I have now that has no problems for me to fix.
I hope you got a good deal when you sold that first lifetime. If you don't mind me asking, WHO exactly did you sell it to. And how much did he pay you?

You're fortunate that your present life has not problems. I guess you could say you are blessed.

But why did He do that?

Kidding all of this. Dangling modifier alert - or something like that.

Joe K
Old 12-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #93
28RPU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
I hope you got a good deal when you sold that first lifetime. If you don't mind me asking, WHO exactly did you sell it to. And how much did he pay you?

You're fortunate that your present life has not problems. I guess you could say you are blessed.

But why did He do that?

Kidding all of this. Dangling modifier alert - or something like that.

Joe K
lol, I had to read that three times to see it. Good catch. Thats why I don't write for a living.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #94
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28RPU View Post
lol, I had to read that three times to see it. Good catch. Thats why I don't write for a living.
Yer a good sport. And you have a nice rpu - minus the top which is the way I like to see them.

YES I KNOW THEY HAD A NON-REMOVABLE TOP. But so much sexier without.

Don't want any negative commentary on a thread devoted to negative commentary as a reason for not posting.

Old Irony still exists in barnyards and garages all over the nation. The trick is to get some unrestored irony and do the minimum restoration to keep it alive and street legal.

Original Classless is the judging standard.

Joe K
Old 12-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #95
Randy in Illinois

Half the fun of model A's ( or any old car) is in the hunt for cars, parts, information, books, resources, and advise from friends and people we meet along the way in clubs, shows and the old timers that just want to talk. somethings we learn and share with others on the Barn. This is what keeps our hobby strong. Enjoy life, our hobby and not let poor comments ruin your day. and laugh once in a while too
Randy in Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #96
buddridge

Old saying....opinions are like assholes.....everyone has one. Can't take anyone too seriously.
buddridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #97
acstep

its easy to bash someone when you are not face to face
acstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #98
John Stone

I am not afraid to post but only try to post pertinent information. My posts are usually pretty soon after the original (except this one). There is way too much in the way of people posting just to see how many posts they can get without answering the question or addressing the original problem. Sometimes just to be funny. I look at this site a couple times during the day and am amazed at the dribble that takes place for a seemingly simple question.
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #99
42merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stone View Post
I am not afraid to post but only try to post pertinent information. My posts are usually pretty soon after the original (except this one). There is way too much in the way of people posting just to see how many posts they can get without answering the question or addressing the original problem. Sometimes just to be funny. I look at this site a couple times during the day and am amazed at the dribble that takes place for a seemingly simple question.
Right on, John
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #100
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW:

If one ever thinks male dominant vehicle Forums are odd at times, one should visit a few female dominant Forums for an educational Forum experience.

Every now & then my wife calls my attention to her female dominant hobby Forum.

Anyone ever work with an organization or business with only vicious women members involved with no men?

On some women dominant Forums, appears the only thing safe with them is that nobody has yet been able to invent & sell totally destructive explosive bomb that could be sent via email.

The damage occurring on film in the old "Road Runner" cartoons & the Three Stoogies was never as amusing as a fortified brain fight on a female dominated Forum.

Later in life, some experience that some male fights are not that much different from female fights. LOL

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 12-13-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #101
Tinker

First off, thank you for all the help throughout the years guys.

Nobody should be afraid to post. Nobody is perfect. I've posted on questions, that have gone unanswered for a day, with an answer that I thought might not be totally 100% correct... note I also say "I believe or I'm not totally sure, but...". That usually gets the ball rolling, either by being corrected of some aspects i posted:] or it levitates the perceived fear of being first to answer, which maybe leaving this question unanswered. I usually learn something new by the end of it too.

On the hamb I've helped some guys that contacted me through PMs with great results and I've used PMs to be helped on projects. If too many people answer a question it can get confusing and not very helpful, especially if they are all over the place with the answers and fighting between opinions. If between PMs we fix the issue, I will ask them to go back and post what worked and how they fixed it. It helps to keep the same question from popping up over and over again.

I'm not a shy guy and can take some criticism too. No need to fear here.

Last edited by Tinker; 12-13-2013 at 02:45 PM. Reason: edit content & spelling
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #102
Classiccanuck

never an issue here, I'm new at this and found this site a great help and great people willing to guide you.
Classiccanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #103
binkbee

Just pick out about a half dozen of the more informed individuals in the site and "acquire" their personal email address and you can be assured that you will get all the necessary help & info you need and it's a whole lot more satisfying in the process! Just send them a note through the Barn contact and explain why---You'll get a reply! Bill
binkbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #104
Steve Plucker
BANNED

My God...I did not think this thread would go virial!

But hope a bunch of us got some weight off your shoulders.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #105
zzlegend

One more weight. I remember a while back about posting on a thread about the Portland swap meet and stated I might ride my Harley up there weather permitting since I already had a friend with a truck and trailer up there to haul things. And someone posted
"Now how are or were you going to haul all those Model A parts back to California on a Harley?"
Wonder who that was,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hummmmmmmmmmmmm.
So I see no need to post much any more and just mainly read other post.
Just my 2 cents. Nice warm day here in Calif today.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #106
TnA

for some questions, this is the top forum. however when a post asking about making wood components, for the famous model A appears. this forum is usless. all one got from this forum was a crackpot question posed back. why would anyone want to make their own components when they can buy them. so and so sells them....very helpful? not for the guy wanting info on building his model A .
TnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #107
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnA View Post
for some questions, this is the top forum. however when a post asking about making wood components, for the famous model A appears. this forum is usless. all one got from this forum was a crackpot question posed back. why would anyone want to make their own components when they can buy them. so and so sells them....very helpful? not for the guy wanting info on building his model A .
No blueprints are around for the wood, so no one can be of much help. I looked at my friend's 1930 Murray Town Sedan that had a complete new wood kit put in, and I don't see how anyone could make there own unless you had good original pieces in fornt of you to copy.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #108
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
The wood only plans that I've seen are for the floorboards.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #109
karasmer

If you think your pretty sure you have an answer to a question please comment on the forum not PM's that way the answers stay public to compare with other answers when doing searches and who knows you might learn something. I just spent 3 hours changing a serpentine belt after watching Youtube videos and checking out a few forums only to find out they were (all) wrong it only takes about 1-2 minutes with no swearing involved.
karasmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #110
Terry,NJ

For wood questions, I will take a shot at answering. This is only because I'm trying to make SOME of my wood for my 30 Town Sedan. I, too, tried to get plans the wood and I found out the the Ford co will sell duplicates at $25 a sheet. As Tom said, Making wood is just guess work if you don't have the old wood for a pattern. For one piece of the belt rail, I had to establish center and work everything off the center line. Difficult, but not impossible. Ash is the preferred wood. Another FBer had a print of a wood part and it gave the tolerances were Plus or minus .010, Rather tight!. I hope you didn't throw your old wood scraps and pieces away. Any questions you may have, just email me and I'll try to answer them.
Terry

Quote:
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #111
Purdy Swoft

We are mostly interested in the mechanical aspects. I would rather buy the wood parts. I built my house and other buildings and can do some woodwork. The only wood parts that I make myself are the ones that are not available or I can't find . No wood plans are available , that I know of except for the floor boards. The times that I've had to make wood parts, I used the old parts, whatever was left as a pattern with trial and error for fitting.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:55 AM   #112
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross/Kzoo View Post
The wood only plans that I've seen are for the floorboards.
And if you belong to the International Model A Victoria Association, the Vicky.

But back to the original thread,

If one keeps in mind that this site, as the owner has said, is for the restoration of the Model A sometimes a thread about modifications based on incorrect information will be met by less than enthusiastic responses. With that said there are MANY here with knowledge that goes WAY beyond stock, and MANY times non stock queries are answered right here on this site.

As we are not meeting in person ask away. Maybe it will be answered here, maybe additional information will come by pointing you elsewhere. You will NEVER EVER be banned for asking a question. Answers/comments yes, questions never.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 12-16-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote