Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #61
d.j. moordigian

Default Re: Motor UPDATE!!! It aint pretty

George or Herm,

How much offset in the " cylinder bore center line to main bearing bore center line"
in an "A"?
Is the "B" the same? Also, which way....viewing the engine from the front? I would
think the crank to the right?

It will change the torque characteristic of the engine. Is that normal practice to
run the offset pistons to the front or the rear in an A with Chevy pistons, engine
builders?

I also don't think that is the cause for what we are looking at here tho.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #62
Steve Wastler

Talking Re: Motor UPDATE!!! It aint pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcheshire31 View Post
Sarcasm doesnt transfer well over the Internet. I couldn't ever bring myself to do that.

It was not intended as sarcasm, this is not the first time this/a 'youngster' has threatened to 'chop it and make it a rod'. Albeit not my first choice for a nice car, I welcome the original parts when he/they decide to do so.

Last edited by Steve Wastler; 06-25-2013 at 03:11 PM. Reason: add smiley face
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #63
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
The way that I read it was that the engine builder bragged about running the car at 75 mph while testing. The owner actually thought that running the engine at 75 MPH before break in was not a good thing.
I guess that all depends on who someone is to believe. The engine builder told me emphatically that he never said that. The engine builder also told me that he would have never told anyone to treat any new engine that way. On the other hand, Logan said here that he did.

A point that has not been discussed regarding all the comments about wrist pins being too tight. These are Hypereutectic pistons that come with the wrist pins supposedly machined & fitted to the piston from the factory. The connecting rod is to be heated and the wrist pin is inserted into the rod for an interference fit. If the pins were indeed fitted at the factory, how does this play into the thought of wrist pins too tight?

Also one other thought regarding pistons too tight. It is reported this engine had a #4 piston failure early on due to overheating. The engine builder supposedly pulled the engine down under warranty and rebuilt the top-end of the engine only charging for parts (no labor or machine shop charges). Since 4 new pistons & rings were installed, and the cylinder walls (sleeves) had to honed again (to clean up the galling), a good argument could be a be made that the piston-to-bore clearance was well within spec. by the time the second honing was done. Thoughts on this??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Old 06-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #64
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
George or Herm,

How much offset in the " cylinder bore center line to main bearing bore center line"
in an "A"?
Is the "B" the same? Also, which way....viewing the engine from the front? I would
think the crank to the right?

It will change the torque characteristic of the engine. Is that normal practice to
run the offset pistons to the front or the rear in an A with Chevy pistons, engine
builders?

I also don't think that is the cause for what we are looking at here tho.
If my old memory is good. 1/8 on the A and not sure on the Chev it has been awhile since I check one. But I'm thinking 1/16
Closed Thread