Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #21
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Huge parts stash, need help sorting good from junk

get all that stuff back to your house,
you have thousands of dollars worth of stuff

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 04-08-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #22
corndog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29ModelA View Post
Good god man... I could use some good 21" wheels...
I have a stack of 13 21" wheels and another stack of 12 19" wheels. A few look usable to me. Those are at my house from the first load.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #23
firetique57

WOW! I thought the cache of parts I got was big. I'd be interested in a radiator and a shell and as many distributors as I can lay my hands on. I'm in Central Ohio.
firetique57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #24
Mike in NRN IN

Corn dog,

I live in Warsaw and I'd love to help you sort through the stuff.

send me a private message and let's see what we can do together.

Mike in NRN IN
Mike in NRN IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #25
Ken B

You have a potential goldmine. It is surely worth the extra effort to haul it home and notify the Model A clubs in your area to have at it. You could make some good $ on what you consider scrap and not worth hauling!!!!
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #26
afuncar

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
looks like you,ve received a great used parts business with your cars.
afuncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #27
jeep44

It looks like a Model A version of Alladdins Cave.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #28
KR500

I am just west of South Bend. I own a pickup and a car trailer. If you need help sorting and bringing home PM me. Only get rid of something when you possess it and WANT to!
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #29
dumb person

The $cr@p animal that has a silhouette resembling that of a man stole 3 of my axles, irreplaceable. Just today i found he took my neighbors 28 chev' axle. i am morally opposed to letting anything get wasted.
You have a gold mine. If you do not use it all, sell it at a swapmeet.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #30
brianthelion02

That is worth renting a 24 foot uhaul to be able to make 1 trip!!
brianthelion02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #31
Bill in Al

Someone help him or buy it from him!
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #32
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I wish I lived close to that hoard I'd help move it for some of the parts. By the way my 19 year old son needs 31 rear sedan fenders in good shape if you come across any in that pile.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #33
40 Deluxe

corndog,
You've probably read on this forum about all the poor-fitting and poor quality reproduction parts, which shows how desirable your original parts are! If you're not in a position to sell them yourself, contact other A owners or clubs, who will know people who make a living selling at swap meets. Selling your stash to them, even at scrap prices, sure beats destroying irreplaceable parts!
Anybody in your area make a living selling stuff(any kind of stuff) on ebay? Maybe you could make a deal with them to do the listing and shipping for a commission. You get to make a few bucks without the hassle and the parts get another chance at life.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:59 AM   #34
eystein

I see NO unusable parts in the photos you posted.

Over the years I have bought several repro parts and had them shipped home at high expenses to me. With time and developing taste and feel I have started to replace more and more of the repro parts with originals.

So, I have scrapped new repros bought at a considerable expense and located original parts in worse condition than the ones that you've got, had them shipped across the Atlantic and had them taxed (at 25%) when entering my country.

This is the appeal of the original parts that you've got your hand on. Repro parts are made in China every day. Once you scrap the original parts, they are lost forever.

You should take up the offers you've had for help, in order to save these original gems. I think you could make money on it, but still, if you don't want to put in the effort, you should advertise here on FB a day where anyone who would take care of the stuff could come and haul it away for you. Make anyone who wants something also have to haul away some of the less attractive stuff as part of the deal (take it or leave it). Like this, you will not get stuck with any thing that you cannot take care of at the end
eystein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:23 AM   #35
Not George

Don't let anyone one scam you out of ANYTHING until you know what it is and what it is worth.
Not George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:39 AM   #36
Wick

You could put $1 on each item and people will come from miles away and buy all they can. The $1 bills will add up$$$
I know where a couple of stash's like this are One with A parts the other with T parts.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #37
Kevin in NJ

that pile will sure bring a lot of fellows out of the wood work.

Before you sell anything make sure you know what you need to restore your car.

You want to keep a large assortment of the original nuts and bolts. Most may look normal, but they are not. Ford had this habit of using tighter tolerance threading and some nuts are so hard a file only cleans the dirt off them. I would (and did) use not so pretty original fasteners over repro because of function in many places.

Odds are good that if you only keep the one part you need for your car that is the one part that has an issue. Until you are sure that you have the correct parts to build your car. For example the oil return tubes. Clean them off where the pipe attaches to the ends. Some are brazed and are better, others are soldered. So you want to use the ones with the gold joints.

You will want to go through all the brake rods and keep the nice ones with good threads. Do NOT chase the threads to clean them up. Any that have been chased I would sell.

Items like the exhaust manifolds. Look at them. Does the face look flat? Do you find any cracks? Does the rear mounting tab appear inline with the others, they tend to droop down.

Rear drums, clean out the bearing area and taper. You will see the wear deep in the hole. If you have enough of them you will find some are worn way up and others have only a little wear. Then look in the taper, is it all scored up or nice and clean.

Anyway, there are lots of little tricks to help come up with nice parts that will give you a better restored car. It comes down to understanding how the stuff was put together. I also will use a dial caliper to do quick checks on wear, but all final work is down with micrometers. Ford did production part to .001" accuracy or better in many cases. When you have a large pile you have a better chance for some good used parts to be found.

As you start going through the parts just ask how to evaluate them and someone here will help out.

Your pile is a great resource to more economically building a good car and a way to support your hobby with some added cash or trading for getting work done.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #38
Terry, NJ

I am interested in 4dr, Town Sedan body tin, rear fenders, glass wooden seat frames etc.
[email protected] DON'T SCRAP ANYTHING! You be surprised what can be rebuilt!
rent a bigger truck! (Wish I lived in Indiana)
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #39
Uncle Bob

On the HAMB at least I recognize you as a seasoned parts seller, so there's probably nothing new about buyer actions that you haven't already experienced. My only comment there would be, as you've likely noticed, some demand rates seem to be regional. And as well meaning as most of the commenters can be it's you that has deal with opinion vs. action. I'm way up in the corner of the lower 48 so that probably impacts some of my experience. Certainly on items that would have a significant shipping cost. I've been working at moving some of my Model A stash for the past few years and here's what I've observed. Fenders are low demand unless they are at or very near new condition. Transmissions are hard to sell (regardless of condition) for more than 40ish bucks. Bumper brackets make good material for cutting up and using for other things. Dash rails, visors, doors, and similar sheet metal parts go quickly. Everything else comes down to the old experience; if someone is looking the day you advertise it, it will sell if you are both realistic people. And, again you've probably already learned this, that's the rub. You sometimes have to hang on to some types of parts for quite awhile, you wonder where all those guys who told you they were gold are, and then someone shows up to buy it............................and then another guy will hit you up when you no longer have any of that part..........

As for the time/fuel/distance, I agree with the advice above...........figure out a way; rent/borrow/bribe a bigger vehicle(s). Any additional cost will be offset in time/fuel/wear & tear on multiple trips with your own rig. Then there's the dilemma of storage space.............do you have enough room to store all that treasure long enough to turn it into a return on your investment? There's no doubt there's probably a buyer somewhere for nearly each and every part in that stash, but do you have the logistics available to support that sort of protracted scenario?
Old 04-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #40
Big John

ain't none of it junk, just another mans treasure......might be able to pay for most of your roadster......
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote