Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-15-2014, 07:28 PM   #81
cohammer60

Smile Re: What's the future of the Model T and Model A hobbies?

I am 55 years old and have for some reason always loved a ford . When I was a child I lived right next door to a junk yard and was forbidden to go around it . Of course from age 5 until I moved at 10 years old I slipped right thru the woods and into the shed behind the junkyard . There was a T model and an A model I used to sit in and pretend they were mine. I am afraid things sometime go away too fast when people lose interest or think they are not modern enough. Who would have ever thought online banking would take the place of in town banks, online shopping will probably kill the big retail stores, email is killing the post office, electronic signs taking all the bill boards , camera phones took away photo stores, online news is doing away with the printed news paper. I miss going to the gas station and having my windows washed , car filled up an put it on the ticket and pay at the end of the month to home town people I knew. I hope all the old cars survive with more interest from younger people.
cohammer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #82
neds29

Default Re: What's the future of the Model T and Model A hobbies?

I've loved Model A's since the '60's and had one in my backyard when I was 16(Borrowed the battery out of Mom's VW to start it). The prices went up in the '70's and '80's, and then down, and now I'm surprised at how inexpensive they've become. I'm almost more surprised to see people taking restored A's and stripping them to make their version of "old school" (hate that term) hot rods or worse, rat rods, out of them. There are still lots around and I suppose that a "floor" will be reached where a certain number will remain as stock restored, while quite a few will be hot rodded, and some simply abandoned. It's a moving target. Nowadays the young folks like cars that I had when I was in my 20's, '57 Chevys, GTO's, Mustangs, etc. I can't see paying $50,000 for a '67 GTO, but then they can't appreciate a 1929 Model A either.
Ned
'29 roadster- Owned for 21 years but now sold.
'28 CC pickup- My first car in Andover, MA back in '62- '63.
neds29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #83
joltesvig

I'm 66. The reason I own a 31 Coupe is that my father-in-law restored it, a 31 pick-up, a 31 Sedan and a 30 roadster. When he died, we got the roadster. I love the car but my wife takes no interest at all in it...I all most have to shame her to go for a ride with me. But I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, like to keep it up and drive it. So I go joy riding in it. I have learned a lot about fixing the electrical system, cooling system, greasing it and correcting little things that go wrong. I had the speedometer restored but now there's something wrong with the cable and it reads zero all the time. So I drive it "by ear". The coupe has 39 hydraulic brakes on it. I have repacked the bearings. I'm getting ready to adjust up those 39 hydraulic brakes since I only have a couple inches left before the pedal bottoms out on the floorboard! So this coupe has made a nice hobby for me now that I'm fully retired and I have a good time with it. I'm not very clubby and I don't have a desire to go to shows but maybe I should because I could meet some nice people.
My son is 33. He lives in downtown Oakland California. He inherited my father-in-laws 31 Pickup truck. Everything is so expensive out there in the land of fruits and nuts that I doubt that he will every be able to afford a garage to keep it in! Right now it sits exactly were it was when my father-in-law died (Michigan). My son is more interested in big city stuff and spends a lot of time with his laptop. But give him 30 years, he may come around.
My brother-in-law inherited the Roadster. It is a beauty but it too sits right where it was when the grim reaper passed through. He is more interested in the Edsel that my father-in-law also restored for him. So the roadster has just been sitting there for five years. What a shame! I offered $20 thousand to him for the roadster but he just continues to sit on it but shows no interest in getting it running or maintaining it or anything. He will retire this year maybe then he'll get something going with it.
I feel blessed to have the pretty 31 coupe, to be able to drive it and take care of it. But whenever I die, who knows what will happen to it? Guys these days aren't very mechanically oriented and learning how to start a Model A and double clutch seems to be beyond their idea of a good time!
I would like to thank all you contributors to the Ford Barn. Without your guidance and interest in us new guys to Model A's, I would not be having nearly the fun I'm having today. I drove my Coupe into town, picked up two nice rib-eyes and stopped for gas. While getting gas, a young black girl leaned out of the window in the next bay and told me that the coupe was classy. I had to agree with her and thanked her for commenting.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #84
Roadster62

Don't forget what real GTO's are selling for. Bob

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/15/1...monterey-2014/
Old 08-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #85
marc hildebrant

I took my Model A to a car wash today. It was a benefit for the towns swim team.

When I pulled in the car for the washing, all team members gathered around my car for a picture. The teenagers (high school kids) thought the car was great.

The future is fine for old cars if they are taken out and shown.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:55 PM   #86
fiddlybits

I got my A in October and managed to get it on the road in the spring.

I started attending any Model A event immediately after getting the car.

I am a new face and a new car at every event I have attended yet I have yet to be approached by other A owners and asked who I was and if I was in a chapter, etc.

And...when I have reached out I have mostly received the attitude of "whatever".

Future??? Hah!
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:26 PM   #87
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlybits View Post
I got my A in October and managed to get it on the road in the spring.

I started attending any Model A event immediately after getting the car.

I am a new face and a new car at every event I have attended yet I have yet to be approached by other A owners and asked who I was and if I was in a chapter, etc.

And...when I have reached out I have mostly received the attitude of "whatever".

Future??? Hah!
Where do you live?
My experience has been just the opposite.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:40 PM   #88
Domino

Send a message via AIM to Domino

Thatwould be very unusual if you were in Texas. We have 8 model A Clubs and the folks are quite friendly andvery helpfui. come on down.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:49 AM   #89
Dodge

Another reality is the number of Model A chassis for sale lately from restored cars that
are being robbed of their bodies for hot rods.
There have been 5 on ebay lately and as many on craigslist around here.
I bought a complete chassis with a rebuilt motor, trans, rear end radiator and shell and
4 fenders for $1200. I am going to keep it for spares.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:02 AM   #90
dumb person

i don't see a future with any technology in it to be honest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
Another reality is the number of Model A chassis for sale lately from restored cars that
I bought a complete chassis with a rebuilt motor, trans, rear end radiator and shell and
i'm surprised people are not turning out woody wagons from those. i would.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:56 PM   #91
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
That price beats four grand for a motor rebuild alone, of course depending on 'who' rebuilt it and the level of their skills!! Good way to snag onto some good parts. Chances are they have been refinished already if the car was 'restored' again, depends on the individual who did the work...................
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:02 AM   #92
armchair67

I agree with a lot that has been said here. I am 40 now, and am picking up my first Model A this weekend. Super excited about it, and I sold an infinitely more modern, luxurious, fast, car to get it-I have a couple of vintage VWs and one car had to go so as to preserve my marriage, so my Cadillac CTS-V was the choice. Realistically, my reason for buying the A is probably a little different than most these days-I wanted something cool and interesting to drive ever day. Back and forth to my plumbing service shop, downtown for dinner, errands, taking my son and stepkids out, etc.

The way I got into cars was through my dad. He always had interesting cars. His daily driver was a '68 Beetle, back in the late 70s-mid 80s. It was eventually replaced by a BMW and other more modern cars, but the memories of that VDub stuck with me to this day. He has also had a 51 MG TD since he was 19 and he would take my brother and I out in it as well as his Jag E type. If he had a Chevy Nova instead of that Beetle, or the MG, who knows, maybe I would not be into cars at all now.

I used to go with a group of 4 or 5 friends once a year to Southern California to VW shows and drag races, and as we all had kids, it was harder for everyone to make it. I kept going-and bring my son once a year now and he totally loves it, and now when I am out working on the car, he comes out with me to help. I got him addicted at a young age! So hopefully it sticks.

People still see VWs and Muscle cars-be it on the road, at drag races, car shows, on TV, etc. So I think it is exposure-on a personal level like my dad with me, or me with my son, or on a larger level like media-that will keep the hobby alive.

I saw two model As at a local car show this year which is what really made me actually decide I had to have one-but as it started raining, several people in the show were frantically trying to cover their cars up with tarps and plastic. Take it easy, and get out and DRIVE your cars-keeping them covered up in a garage is no way to get exposure to generations that do not know they exist.
armchair67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:41 AM   #93
Jeff/Illinois

I can't see paying $50,000 for a '67 GTO, but then they can't appreciate a 1929 Model A either. (quote from Ned)

I agree. There's no way today's youth will pay six figures that we see today, for those Hemi Cudas and Boss 429 Mustangs in the future, no way. if that's your idea of 'investing' best look somewhere else. Today's American youth is not the car culture we are. Overall, they can care less. They have other interests. The media demonizes the automobile as does the Green movement and many teachers they have all thru school. We all agree on this. We all see it. Been talked about on here ad nauseum.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:22 PM   #94
ODFever

First off, I'd like to thank M2M for starting this discussion, and thank everyone that has tossed their $.02 onto the thread. I'm learning a great deal from y'all, and am thankful I became a FordBarn'er.

A little background on me: I am a Gen X'er that has loved 4 wheel vehicles of all shapes and sizes, starting around the time I learned to walk. I grew up watching MotorWeek. I savored every word from John Davis and Pat Goss. At age 4, I was transfixed as Alan Alda drove a WWII jeep on the set of MASH. Hawkeye fueled my thirst for military vehicles that needed to be quenched. About ten years ago, I was able to buy a Viet Nam era military jeep.

Although my obsession was with all things olive drab, I had a nagging desire to own a Model A that started around the beginning of 1999. I am fascinated by the simplicity of Model A's. As an IT professional, I enjoy vehicles that do not have any computers. I see computers as tools that can break. I long for the simpler time of a bygone era. This puts me in a unique situation – all of my fellow 'computer guy' coworkers live, eat, and breathe technology. I admire Model A's because they come from an era where there was no such thing as a computer. The entire car was drafted on drafting tables using rulers, pencils, and ingenuity. I'm intrigued by the mechanical functionality of the A (no DOT 3 or 5 brake fluid!!!). I also think the A is one of the most beautiful vehicles ever produced. No one in my family owns an A, or ever talked about owning an A. My grandparents passed away many years ago, and took their stories of their old cars with them to the grave. My interests were spurred on by the simplicity of the vehicle, and the history of the US during the period in which they were produced.

About the same time we bought the jeep, we joined the local Model A club. My wife and I were members of that club for about 4 years. There were a few people in the club we really liked, and we felt like they were our adopted grandparents. Many others, however, treated us like little kids. I remember one discussion we had about record players and typewriters. Someone said “you're too young to remember what a 33 is." I looked her square in the eyes and said “My wife and I own two functioning record players, and one typewriter. You will have to pry the stacks of wax out of my cold, dead hands. Oh, and I use that typewriter about once a month.” The look on her face was priceless!! I do NOT like being treated as if I was a young, wet behind the ears child.

Anyway, life got in the way and we left the club. Our desire for an A was shelved until very recently. (Thankfully my wife shares the same passion for Model A's AND military vehicles as I do!). I just sold the jeep, and we have our eyes on a stunningly beautiful fully restored 1930 Fordor Deluxe Town Sedan. I'm in the process of making room in the garage for her arrival. When we bring her home, we will re-join the local Model A club. I hope to be welcomed with open arms, but am prepared for the cold shoulder.
ODFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #95
Tom Wesenberg

ODFever, you did good to sell the Jeep and buy the Model A. I think you will find the Model A much more fun and practical, and you bought a very desirable and comfortable Model A.

Actually the lady in the club paid you a compliment for thinking you were too young to know about records. When I was 32 years old I was in a small town convenience store eating an ice cream sandwich. The gal at the register was about 20 and told me I'd better get back to school or I'd be late. She made my day.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:43 PM   #96
Tom Wesenberg

ODFever, I was at a threashing show years ago and looking at a nice small upright engine. I asked the owner what an engine like that would be worth, and he said "you don't look like you could afford it". Since he didn't know me from Adam, I thought that was a dumb statement, but there are many who engage their mouth before their brain.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #97
ODFever

Tom - Thanks for the kind words. A Model A fits my life a lot better now. The A we are buying reminds me of an elegant living room on wheels. I love the little pull-down window shades and the hand-made wooden shift knob. I love the trunk on the back and the dual spare tires. I love the two tone olive drab paint. I love everything about the car. I've had the honor of driving three different A's. All of them are so quiet at a stop that I had to goose the throttle just to make sure the engine was still running! I LOVE THAT!! :-) A's are definitely more family-friendly than most military vehicles. I'm used to the speed limitations so 45 is no big deal to me. I want my little girl to appreciate the beauty and elegance of the piece of history-on-wheels that will soon grace our garage.

Last edited by ODFever; 11-15-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:51 PM   #98
ODFever

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; } Web sites are useful, but also a burden. It takes time to develop and maintain a web site. Static club web sites act merely as placeholders for a club's existence. Texting, instant messaging, online forums such as this one, and Facebook overshadow the traditional club structure controlled by Robert's Rules. Smartphones have permeated nearly every part of our lives. Forward thinking clubs that utilize technology to assist with the growth of the club will have a much better chance of encouraging younger generations to join.

It would be helpful to encourage Model A clubs to participate in all car shows that allow any year/make/model vehicle to participate. Exposure and explanation are key points for any hobby to grow. Many schools have a transportation day, where all types of vehicles are on display for the kids. Participating in events such as these raises the awareness of the vehicles, and plants the seeds in the future generations.

I've been to many military vehicle static displays over the years. I've seen lots of MV owners create bulletin boards and place them in front of their vehicles. Often, they have history of their vehicle and pictures of the vehicles as they were used in active duty. This gives a more complete picture of the truck. For those unfamiliar with the 20's and 30's, it's hard to quantify 85 years. There's no frame of reference when looking at the car. Wouldn't it be cool to hand a binder filled with pictures taken in the 1930's to someone that peaks an interest in your car? They would see the place and time that the cars were popular and hopefully better understand your A. The bigger picture might just spark an interest in preserving history and buying a Model A.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #99
nospartsman
BANNED

The best place to check on the health of the A and T part of the hobby is to ask the sellers of reproduction parts, what I have heard is that the T business is better than it has ever been, especially export and there are more unique items available now for A then at anytime. As for young people getting into A's or T's the best thing you can do is drive your car and answer every question as if it was the first time you heard it. Tell them if they're interested they should be able to buy a running Model A and never loose a dime on the purchase price if they learn values in advance. Gearheads are born everyday, not easily created.

Last edited by nospartsman; 11-16-2014 at 06:50 PM.
nospartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:41 PM   #100
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
ODFever, I was at a threashing show years ago and looking at a nice small upright engine. I asked the owner what an engine like that would be worth, and he said "you don't look like you could afford it". Since he didn't know me from Adam, I thought that was a dumb statement, but there are many who engage their mouth before their brain.
We come across these kind of guys all the time.

As for the original question on this thread, Have you noticed the up tick in the number of first time owners on the Barn? I think we are doing fine as a hobby.