Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #81
J Franklin

Default Re: Parts Hoarding: a Discouragement to Newbies?

Although these last few post are really off topic I had to respond. I think you need to be more stern and forthright with these people and not just take it. Get the parts back you sent and don't pay inflated bills you did not approve!!!!! Small claims court still works and You don't need or can use a lawyer.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:22 PM   #82
out plowing

WANTED: Under privileged beginner seeking over privileged hoarder to pass along knowledge and parts.
out plowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #83
Wrenchy61

Sorry, I made a mistake when I tried to post this as a separate thread. I guess I won't post any more so as not to offend anyone. I just don't know why it jumped in here.

As for trying to get money and parts back, try it. I have gone to small claims court and won in another unrelated case. But these cases, either you pay or drag it out in the courts. I don't mind getting nicked but what I do mind is the $17000 where the billings were so convoluted and distributed over several parts by the religious freak wife, there was no way to do any cost accounting.

The last time I drove past his business, it didn't look like he had any restoration work. All this has probably caught up with him.

Now I am having some seat and seat back upholstery done. The guy is a member of our club and has put the cost in writing and the materials he will furnish. These guys are few and far between.

His cost to install my kit and new springs plus his spring covering etc. is $225 whereas the local auto upholstery shop was $825. This is a rip off area of Wisconsin.

Take care,
Maury
Wrenchy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #84
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I'm not a hoarder. I just suffer from lack of storage space.
Tom,
That's my favorite post about this yet! I think Vince was along the same line.!

Larry S.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #85
southfork

I'm wondering if I didn't stumble on part of some Ford "hoarder's" estate, as disposed of by an family heir, insulted or otherwise.

I was at a metal recycling yard about 6 or 7 years ago and found where someone had unloaded a bunch of vintage Banger heads. There were about 6 or 7 heads, all Ford Model A or Model T, laying there in the dirt in the scrap yard. I looked them over and couldn't see any obvious cracks or other defects, so I purchased them all from the scrap yard at 15 cents per pound (a dollar or two each). A couple of the heads (which I still have) appear to be high-compression Model A/B heads, since their combustion chambers are smaller than the regular Model A combustion chambers.

Anyway, if anybody has a better explanation/suggestion as to why a wheelbarrow full of apparently good vintage heads would have been sold as iron scrap, I'd like to hear it.
southfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #86
bart78

I have a deal with the scrap yard here. To guy the flathead v8's at scrap price. The usually get a few a month. Some are not worth taking home.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:01 PM   #87
SeaSlugs

Hmm some of the scrap yards around here refuse to sell anything out of the yard. Once it goes in it stays in apparently. I hate going there as i fear i may see something that's worth somehting...
Old 10-01-2014, 11:12 PM   #88
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart78 View Post
The usually get a few a month.
That is terrifying. If you know how much effort went into making them in the first place it is terrifying

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:23 PM   #89
bart78

It would seem nuts that they end up there. But most around here don't care about them. And for how little rain we have had over the past few years. Most of these people would rather have the money. To buy hay and whatever else. And a bunch of these old farmers and ranchers are dieing off. And their kids clean the place up. And sell it. A few months ago. There was a 49 ford school bus at the scrap yard. I don't know what happened to it. I only saw it once. I drive by there every day. The landfill I run is right down the road. I have found two a motors and four transmissions in the scrap pile at our landfill. People just don't care.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:03 AM   #90
southfork

Oh, yeah. I just remembered another time that I went to the iron scrap yard once when an oldish woman was emptying vintage metal from the back of her old station wagon. Most of it was Model T stuff, but she set out of Very nice pair of 30/31 Model A roadster doors on the pile. They still had weathered 'Bell Telephone' logos painted on the outside of the doors. As I snapped them up, she told me that her late husband "was into old cars, but now he is dead."
southfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:33 AM   #91
Will N

It's true, as many guys have said in this thread, that if they didn't hoard the parts, they would have gone for scrap by now. But it's also more than likely true that after they're dead, their kids or grandkids are going to sell what they think is a pile of scrap to the recycler for .20 per pound. If you're never going to use or sell the parts- and be honest with yourself, you know what projects you have time for- then hoarding is a kind of mental illness. That's not just my opinion, that is a fact. Look it up. But on the other hand, buying to develop an inventory and then selling those parts is a great service to the hobby.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #92
cradlescyth

hi
I must be crazy as I buy stuff and keep it - DO NOT own a model a yet.???

The items I buy are things I think I'll need when I purchase the car.

Right now they are reasonable priced or I will not buy them.

If a friend needs something I have I will let it go either as agift or at a price he or she thhinks is fare.

If that's hording??? I'm gulty
cradlescyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #93
J Franklin

OK now we see the problem, maybe the will should declare in our will a local club or maffi the heir to the hoard.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #94
DougVieyra

Anticipating the government's adiction to ever higher taxes, and increasing both taxes and NEW things to tax, I have moved my entire 'hoard' of Model A parts to an 'off shore' storage vacility in the Grand Cayman Islands, having first 'laundered' them through an agent in Switzerland.

But now, as I see I no longer need any of this huge hoard of Model A parts, I invite anyone who has a serious 'need' for any of the parts to submit (in triplicate) Form No. 3974l for consideration. All of these items will be given to you 'gratus'.

However, I will not be involved in 'discussions', measurements, descriptions, research, etc. on any of these objects, as it would be an extremely time consuming activity. All items (and they are FREE) must be inspected and reviewed by the receiver in person. Also, the FREE item must be picked up in person. I will not do any 'handling, packaging, or shipping'.

The hassle of getting rid of these parts is the main reason that many of us 'hoarders' still have much of our original Model A parts. It is not so much that we are 'hoarders' as it is that at our age (OLD) we just do not have the energy, or inclination to enter into another 'job' in our lives. So we take the easy way out - do nothing.

- Doug Vieyra, former hoarder - Grand Cayman Islands - (75 degrees)
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #95
J Franklin

Maybe a solution but auction comes to mind when I see a lot of hard to ship parts. Maybe we should put that on the bucket list.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #96
BlueSunoco

I know a fellow Fords Parts Manager who in the early 70's was buying, at dealer cost, scads of Shelby and high performance NOS parts. He has a two car heated garage literally packed with the stuff.

Today, with prices of NOS parts he is sitting on a stack of cash. No way he will ever sell any parts, to anybody, and he's pushing 80 years old now.I only wish it were ME

Hoarding is only wrong if you are on the wrong side of the stash.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #97
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
.................................................. ....................................Hoarding is only wrong if you are on the wrong side of the stash.
right on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #98
Ted Duke

I'm not a hoarder. Working to get mu 1929 Model A roadster pickup finished. My next project will either be restoring my wife's 65 Mustang (unless I can find a doable Ford Model A Victoria) or my 1961 and 62 CORVAIRS. I love older cars.

All of my boys helped with my Model A and are still somewhat involved (jobs permitting). My eldest son has restored a 1949 Chevy five window pickup, the next in line has two Mustangs in some stage of progress and the youngest son has restored a Toyota Landcruiser and MY 1966 International pickup (1200A), both to like new and his present project is a 1949 (? I think) Studebaker pickup.

My point is:

my 29 FORD , my CORVAIRs and whatever I collect will NOT go to the junkyard. I have two daughters who will fight the sons for some of it (and 4 of 10 grandchildren who are old enough to stake a claim.

I have 30 acres and a large and small barn in addition to my shop. Anyone wanting to unload a hoard of Model A stuff, I have room. 35 and 36 Ford's welcome too.

Seriously,

Ted Duke
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #99
bart78

There is a guy a few towns away. That baught a ton of nos A and T parts from a dealer that closed in the 50's. I have been told to come look at all of it. He said he had a bunch of stuff. Said he even had some fenders and and other sheet metal. And even some rear ends and lights. And even some new aftermarket parts that are old. He said he had no interest in the stuff anymore. Catching him at home has been hard.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #100
Will N

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
I know a fellow Fords Parts Manager who in the early 70's was buying, at dealer cost, scads of Shelby and high performance NOS parts. He has a two car heated garage literally packed with the stuff.

Today, with prices of NOS parts he is sitting on a stack of cash. No way he will ever sell any parts, to anybody, and he's pushing 80 years old now.I only wish it were ME

Hoarding is only wrong if you are on the wrong side of the stash.
If he's never going to sell any of his parts, his "stack of cash" is essentially worthless. You can't mail a Shelby fender to your mortgage holder to pay your rent. It is only a potential stack of cash, and the only way to make it an actual stack of cash is to sell it. But if he'll never sell it, it is worthless to him.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote