Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #101
steve s

Default Re: generator or alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Steve,
Thanks for adding your opinion and it was interesting read, that is, until the last statement , i.e.- about Ford being on the 'wrong' side of history. I don't see it that way at all !
My opinion, which by the way , coincidentally coincides with that of a well educated barner here....is that Fords' original decision , on grounding ford cars...was a coin flip.
As to why anyone would consider this subject..a can of worms..elephino(sound it out). Can of worms ..is usually restricted to use in serious subjects...like oil
I don't know whether Ford flipped a coin or if he actually bought into one of the various bogus preference rationales that have been floated over the years. I assume that the "can of worms" comment refers to the passion and certitude with which the favorite rationales are embraced.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #102
Rock Hornbuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
I don't know whether Ford flipped a coin or if he actually bought into one of the various bogus preference rationales that have been floated over the years. I assume that the "can of worms" comment refers to the passion and certitude with which the favorite rationales are embraced.
Pos. or Neg. ground selection may have been due to two different theories on current flow direction. Electromotive force (EMF) also known as voltage, is valence electron flow from atoms with an electron that can be transfered to an atom without a valence electron, which is said to have a neg. draw. We now know that current flow (amperage) is opposite of voltage flow. Although, whether it is a Neg. or pos. ground, it really makes no difference which direction the electrons jump from atom to atom, so long as there is a complete path for current flow. So, it may well have been a flip of a coin.
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis

Last edited by Rock Hornbuckle; 04-11-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #103
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Hornbuckle View Post
. . . So, it may well have been a flip of a coin.
Good thing they didn't use one of those trick double-headed coins. Cars would be AC. By the way, was 'tails' positive or negative?
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #104
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Pos. or Neg. ground selection may have been due to two different theories on current flow direction. Electromotive force (EMF) also known as voltage, is valence electron flow from atoms with an electron that can be transfered to an atom without a valence electron, which is said to have a neg. draw. We now know that current flow (amperage) is opposite of voltage flow. Although, whether it is a Neg. or pos. ground, it really makes no difference which direction the electrons jump from atom to atom, so long as there is a complete path for current flow. So, it may well have been a flip of a coin.
Well, Hornbuckle, you really did it! Dog here, you got us so messed up that we'll have to take Xanax to get some sleep tonite! Buster T.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:46 AM   #105
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
Whew Hardtimes. We all no what you are doing. Keep it up and Page 6 will be here soon. LOL.
Hey ZZ,
How's that rat rod coming along lol.
Now wait a minute. Our resident electrical masters holders (who seemed to think that they got off easy) and us regular guys seem to have a consensus...on the 'coin flip'.
HOWEVER none answered the second part of the question...HOW COME?
How come Ford and all other auto makers... went from a good thing (positive ground) to negative ground
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #106
zzlegend

Quote:
Hey ZZ,
Now wait a minute. Our resident electrical masters holders (who seemed to think that they got off easy) and us regular guys seem to have a consensus...on the 'coin flip'.
How come Ford and all other auto makers... went from a good thing (positive ground) to negative ground
Hey Hardimes. Still plugging away every day on my Roadster. Is the end getting near? I hope so. As for which side of the battery gets grounded? I have heard everything from, the killy winkles have to travel north from the nuclear radon, to the which way the copper cable was wrapped when it was made and had to be insulated with just the right amount of quagulites. I think the real answer to the positive negative thing might have died with Henry.
I will drop over soon for a visit.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #107
steve s

Quote:
Hey ZZ,
Not sure what you mean by the regular guys' consensus.

I thought I addressed part of the how-come question: a change was made because of the desire for an industry wide standardization, at least in the U.S.. Apparently, no one knows why negative ground was chosen over positive ground, but there's no reason to believe that positive ground was the "good thing", and it's a fact that not "all other auto makers" went from pos to neg ground. Many had always used negative ground, including some quite respectable brands (e.g., Dusenberg), and several switched back and forth. It just doesn't matter!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #108
steve s

Quote:
Rock,

We agree on our conclusion, but part of the explanation is a bit off. EMF, or voltage, is a measure of potential energy difference between two places, whether or not any current is flowing.

Actually, we have Ben Franklin to thank for assigning the electron to be negative, thus creating the confusion that in metallic conduction the particle movement is in the opposite direction to the conventionally defined current flow. The positive direction of current flow is defined as the direction in which positive charge is moving, or would move if it could.

Steve
Old 04-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #109
Rock Hornbuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
Rock,

We agree on our conclusion, but part of the explanation is a bit off. EMF, or voltage, is a measure of potential energy difference between two places, whether or not any current is flowing.

Actually, we have Ben Franklin to thank for assigning the electron to be negative, thus creating the confusion that in metallic conduction the particle movement is in the opposite direction to the conventionally defined current flow. The positive direction of current flow is defined as the direction in which positive charge is moving, or would move if it could.

Steve
I am in the same camp as the "flip of a coin" group.

Steve, you're totally correct about EMF being potential and not directional flow. I used the "flow" term as a way of deliniating the opposite of current, because some are confused about voltage and amps.
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #110
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL in NY View Post
I have the best of both worlds with my new Russ Evans 50 amp, 6 volt, positive ground alternator built in a Model A generator housing. And it will pass fine point judging!!

Al,

Do you have to run engine up to 1000RPM to excite this alternator OR does it excite at a lower speed?

THanks
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #111
AL in NY

benson, I just installed the alternator on Wednesday and haven't driven my truck yet, probably this weekend, weather permitting. I did start it up and the ammeter is at "0" idling at 700 RPM's. I'm sure I had the RPM's above 1000 at startup, so right now I can't say if I need the excite the alternator to get it to charge. The way I start my Model A is to ALWAYS put the throttle lever down a few notches before I push the starter button, even when the engine is warmed up. So the alternator will always see 1000+ RPM's initially.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #112
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: generator or alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-A View Post
Duffy1 & Keith True,

The alternator is a one wire and after a few minutes of warming up and oil pumping I race the engine to get the aternator "excited"..... Next time I go for a drive I'll not excite the alternator on purpose and wait and see
when it does. Thanks guys!

Bob-A

Well, I went for a short "putt" the other day and did not purposely ramp up the RPM on start-up. In order to excite the alternator on the '29. Once warmed up and going through the gears (2nd) the 'ol AMP meter needle jumped
to charge in the buggy.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #113
BILL WILLIAMSON

Gettin' up in the A.M, I have to "flail" my arms to "excite" my brain?? alternator, to get my brain?? dooley floppers goin' so's I can "race" to the INHOUSE! Why do we have to have mornings?????? Bill W.