Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
MurphyJ

Default Brake Energizing/Floater kits

Considering purchasing a brake energizing or floater kit. Catalogs make them all sound like it's the way to go for better stopping without having to go the hydraulic route. Can anyone comment from their experience if they really do what they say they will do? Thanks.
MurphyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
quickchange

Default Re: Brake Energizing/Floater kits

Buy flat head Teds ones , The best on the market,our custmers have been very happy, I know some are against them , fidley to ajust but with patience work very well.
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:12 AM   #3
jerry shook

I agree buy from flat head ted, i have them on 3 cars they are great. I took my 31 s/w to get the front lined when the man drove it he could not believe it did not have modern brakes, he was telling everyone how good it stopped. They can be fun to adjust but the results are worth it.
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
Purdy Swoft

I haven't tried Flathead Teds floater kit but I think that it would be good. I think that the shoe centeruing pins are a very smart invention and would make centering the rear shoes easy. The problem in some cases is that the home model A mechanic with no real model A experience have problems understanding the brakes. Some have problems with Teds instructions.

There are at least three styles of floaters. Floaters are mostly about centering the shoes in the brake drum. Teds Floaters center the top and bottom of the shoes. Snyders sells a floater kit that helps center the bottom of the front brake shoes part number A-2051-F that lists for $21.95, I use these on my roadster with great results. There is a style floater that centers the bottom of the front shoes and adds leverage. This style floater reduces brake pedal pressure by 30% and eliminates the use of the front brake tracks, rollers and roller pins. I installed this style floaters in my daughters coupe and my speedster and love them. They save work and money by eliminating several parts. These floaters are available from Specialty Ford parts in Rosemead CA., I think that Sacramento model A parts may also have them.

Model A brakes are about as simple as brakes can be and will still function with lots of worn parts, if a person knows how to set them up and adjust the brake rods. I feel that when the brakes are in good condition and set up properly, even with no modification will be as good as any. I would recommend Victor Duncans video, How to stop on a dime. This will give lots of insight into how the brakes work and how to set them up.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 05-02-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
MurphyJ

Thanks fellas, great information. You have been super helpful, once again.
Murphy J
MurphyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
jerry shook

Does anyone have the link to victor duncans video that you could post. How to stop on a dime.
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
Purdy Swoft

I don't know about a link. I bought mine from Snyders many years ago. The Video is listed on page 10 of the new Snyders catalog. They offer it in VHS and DVD. Probably Too expensive for most at $39.95 plus shipping. It sheds a lot of light on how the brakes work with a little humor threw in. A very good primer!!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote