Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
SDJason

Default My successful troubleshooting after stalling on the way home yesterday

Being a lazy Friday, I decided to drive the Model A to work yesterday (a leisurely 25 miles or so along coastal San Diego).

On the way back, the engine died just a few miles from home.

My first thought was that I had overheated it (again - I did that once before by running too lean), but that wasn't the case this time - the motometer was barely registering anything (unlike the previous time), no steam, and opening the radiator cap showed nothing out of the ordinary.

So - thinking back on what I remember reading on various Model A websites and the fordbarn, I thought I'd check for spark - pulled the distributor wire off, held it near a nut on the head, and manually pushed in the starter rod.

No spark! Thankfully, (also due to reading fordbarn and/or various Model A websites) I had a spare coil and distributor wire in my toolbag. Swapping them in worked like a charm, and I was on my way.

Examining the old coil & wire today, it looks like the coil side connectors are well-corroded (I assume they should be a shiny brass color normally). So - I guess corroded brass doesn't conduct electricity very well? Also - anyone have an idea/guess as to how old this coil is? Thanks!

SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
ctlikon0712

Default Re: My successful troubleshooting after stalling on the way home yesterday

I read somewhere that brass oxide or corrosion is still a conductor, unlike other forms of oxide. That is why brass terminal dist. caps are a better choice. Aluminum oxide is baaaaadddddd! No answer on the coil.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
Richard Wilson

Default Re: My successful troubleshooting after stalling on the way home yesterday

Any time you break down and you are trouble shooting just remember spark, fuel, and compression.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Benson

If the coil has an address on it in the format "Chicago, Ill. "(with out a Zip code" and or the state abbreviations are more than 2 digits and followed by period)---it is most likely prior to 1963.

Quote drom Wiki :
In

, the Post Office Department implemented the five-digit ZIP

Code
, which was placed after the state in the last line of an address. To provide room for the ZIP Code, the Department issued two-letter abbreviations for all states and territories. Publication 59,

Abbreviations for Use with ZIP Code
, issued by the Department in October 1963, told why.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_did_t...#ixzz1tNa5KV84

Also if the phone number is in the format OL9-5643 or GY7-5643 then same time period as I remember.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wilson View Post
Any time you break down and you are trouble shooting just remember spark, fuel, and compression.
And timing and point gap.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:51 AM   #6
Richard Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
And timing and point gap.
Think spark.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
1930artdeco

The MOTORCRAFT coil says Made in USA so it is probably from the 80's I am guessing. They started moving things to Mexico around then.

Mike