Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
az_tchr

Default Balancing Beads

A bit of clarification and information on balancing beads.

First, the beads sold by Snyders (also from Langs T Parts) are NOT Dyna-Beads. They are Counteract beads from Canada. There are two significant differences. First the Counteract beads are about 1/2 the cost. The second is the glass counteract beads hold static electricity which greatly reduces any thumping when starting up from a stop.

The beads have been used in large trucks for years and are installed in 3/4 ton and larger trucks by putting a bag of beads inside the tire and exchanging the valve core for one with a filter. In antique cars (thru the 1950s) the installation procedure is to remove the old valve core, carefully insert a 1/4" drill bit into the stem and clean out any flashing inside the stem to make installation easier (make sure the shank in against the threads), and then use the bottle and tube to install.

The benefits are improved handing as the tire/wheel is not continuously balanced and tire wear is significantly reduced. In my 1926 T I am now getting about 30% longer tire wear than before.

As to installation amounts. The kits come in 2 sizes - 6oz and 4oz. 6oz kits are for wheels with wood spokes/demountable rims. Try 4oz first and add as needed. 4oz kits work great for wire wheels for 30s vintage cars. Install about 3oz and use the last ounce as needed.
az_tchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Balancing Beads

"In antique cars (thru the 1950s) the installation procedure is to remove the old valve core, carefully insert a 1/4" drill bit into the stem and clean out any flashing inside the stem to make installation easier (make sure the shank in against the threads), and then use the bottle and tube to install."

1/4"?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_tchr View Post
A bit of clarification and information on balancing beads.

First, the beads sold by Snyders (also from Langs T Parts) are NOT Dyna-Beads. They are Counteract beads from Canada. There are two significant differences. First the Counteract beads are about 1/2 the cost. The second is the glass counteract beads hold static electricity which greatly reduces any thumping when starting up from a stop.

The beads have been used in large trucks for years and are installed in 3/4 ton and larger trucks by putting a bag of beads inside the tire and exchanging the valve core for one with a filter. In antique cars (thru the 1950s) the installation procedure is to remove the old valve core, carefully insert a 1/4" drill bit into the stem and clean out any flashing inside the stem to make installation easier (make sure the shank in against the threads), and then use the bottle and tube to install.

The benefits are improved handing as the tire/wheel is not continuously balanced and tire wear is significantly reduced. In my 1926 T I am now getting about 30% longer tire wear than before.

As to installation amounts. The kits come in 2 sizes - 6oz and 4oz. 6oz kits are for wheels with wood spokes/demountable rims. Try 4oz first and add as needed. 4oz kits work great for wire wheels for 30s vintage cars. Install about 3oz and use the last ounce as needed.
Thank you for sharing this. Would it be appropriate to ask your background and how you came to know this information? Thanks again!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
Glenn C.

I question the 1/4" drill bit size also??
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
bogiediver

A demo video from a different type of dynamic balancing product, but the principle is the same:

http://centramatic.com/Page.aspx?page=Demo

The beads from Snyder's cost about $2 an oz + shipping.

Hardened ceramic beads (like Dyna) are available from a company in Crystal Lake IL at about $1 an oz including shipping. The hook is you have to buy 5 lbs at a time. Can anyone say club buy?

If you're interested - send me a PM or look for the other recent balancing beads thread where I posted the contact info for the company.

I write freelance motorcycle product reviews.

www.bogiesreviews.webs.com

A current long-term project is on dynamic balancers. Loose beads are one type, another is the product in the demo video above.

The first test of the beads was to ride a bike with new tires, but not balanced, for 100 miles. Then add the beads. The difference was immediately and dramatically noticed - even though the bike road OK before the beads.

The other device, because of it's installation requirements, did not have a pre-install ride. However, the difference is still noticeable in the stability of the handlebars, the smoothness of the ride and the increased corning confidence.

I'm convinced they are of benefit. The long-term portion of the project is tire life. Will likely be the end of the riding season before that answer is known.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn C. View Post
I question the 1/4" drill bit size also??
x3, and also question what happened to the INSIDE threads...when I went to put the valve gut back in !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
spdway1

Attached Images
File Type: jpg beat_dead_horse2.jpg (22.0 KB, 30 views)
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote