Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #21
Louis

Default Re: Need some insurance help

Call Hagerty for a quote, I have my 31 coupe, old VW bug, and my Military jeep with them, full coverage, You won't beat them, good E-mail news letter's also.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #22
ronn

I think you should just give up, sell me the car for a song and not have to worry about insurance.
Life is too short for all of these problems....

BTW folks-HOA means NO dropping a shed or storage unit on the lawn! Some folks, I tell ya!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #23
bdentremont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul from Maine View Post
I insure with Amica. Never had a problem. They did mention I might want to talk to one of the antique car insurers if I was really worried about the "agreed value" in case of collision damage that was my fault. Since mine is a driver and not a fine points car, that was not an issue for me. I think collision, liability and comprehebsive costs me about $180 a year + or -. I know I could probably get it cheaper, but all my other insurance is with AMICA and they are really good when something bad happens.
My mom also insures her A with AMICA and had exactly the same experience. They recommended classic insurance with another company. However, they were willing to insure it at "agreed value" when the terms of the classic insurance were unsuitable (i.e. no driving to work or the grocery).
bdentremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #24
30ccpickup

Call an All State agent and direct them to their own site http://www.allstate.com/insurance-ma...insurance.aspx. My agent knows nothing about this and their web site people imply they have it but you can't do it online. It has been viscious circle.

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

James,
HOA = Home Owner's Association, as in play by the rules gated community, or we kick you out!
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #26
Steam Engine Pete

Drew,
I have all of my vehicles insured with Farmers Insurance Group. 4 modern drivers and 4 antique drivers. Never had any problems. No mileage limits, storage requirements, etc. Just pick a value and sign up. Reasonable price also.

I have never had any claims with the antique vehicles but have had some with the others and have had good luck. The last two accidents we had was when my wife backed her new Mustang into her mothers car in our own yard. Insurance will pay for that but when I backed my pickup into my wifes Mustang in my own yard they will not pay. Funny how that works! Guess they do not like me running my own stuff together at home. At least I haven't hurt any of the old cars, less of a hurry when I drive them.

Pete
Steam Engine Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #27
dennisonk1957

My State Farm account covers me for 12 bucks a month and 100-300 coverage and no garage requirement...been with them 10 years...also I dont drive it with regularity. I think I put the value at 12-14k
dennisonk1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #28
Franchise_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
I have JC Taylor. I cannot say enough good about this company. My A was in my shop when I had an electrical fire in Nov 2011. They treated me absolutely fairly. Much better than I ever expected. I have Progressive on the shop, now thats a different story. STAY AWAY FROM PROGRESSIVE.
Yes I agree with you on JC Taylor. I have them as well, and I had a little "mishap" when I was backing out of my barn and tore up my front fender. Called them and it was taken care of and they were an absolute pleasure to deal with. As much as I was pleased, I hope nothing ever happens that I have to deal with them again!
Franchise_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #29
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
James,
HOA = Home Owner's Association, as in play by the rules gated community, or we kick you out!
I dealt with that once and still own the doublewide in that community. They can't throw you out but they quabble like a bunch of kindergarteners with everybody wanting to be boss and nobody knowing what the rules and covenants are. I just stand back and let them bitch, I live in the country where I do as I please with my property, within reason and as long as my wife lets me
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #30
real550A

"Its funny that when the wife and I shopped for a house my only requirements were a garage and and acre of property... I got no garage and less than a 1/4 acre in a neighborhood run by a crooked HOA. She is happy and I am miserable. "

Drew- There's a thread up called "What % do you spend on your hobby" you should read. Good luck!
Old 02-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #31
Dick Carne

I used to have J.C Taylor, and they were great -- until I had a claim! I'd recommend anyone else but them. My current insurance is with Hagerty.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:05 AM   #32
rustyemerson

Seems like you need a good vintage car insurance company! You got to do some thorough research before you make a decision. Having to keep the car in a locked garage is a huge expense!

Last edited by rustyemerson; 02-27-2012 at 01:32 AM.
rustyemerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #33
real550A

I've had American Collectors on a couple 911's for years. They allow "stated value" and 2500 miles a year, about $120/yr.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #34
real550A

Thanks Jeff....I meant agreed value, used the incorrect term. You're correct,
it makes a huge difference!
Old 03-03-2012, 04:26 AM   #35
rock-burner

top rated car insurance companies wont get you your required insurance as your car is old and not garaged. You need to look for a cheaper and less renowned company to insure your car.
rock-burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #36
dr.j

Do you folks not have "Silver Wheels Insurance" ? It is by far the cheapest here in Ontario and you pay based on the value. I can not find any garage stipulations in the policy.
1928 Tudor
dr.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #37
1931 flamingo

dr.j: Not sure if that Co. would be good "south of the border". Is that a Canadian company??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #38
Droobie

Thank you everyone for your input on this thread the past couple weeks. I have been talking to Farm Bureau Insurance and they seem to have something for me. They said that as long as I do not use the tudor as my daily driver they will insure it for agreed value and they said it would be around 200 per year. It sounds good to me!! Now they want me to switch everything over to them. The house and the two daily drivers.
Droobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #39
jan bogert

AMERICAN COLLECTORS, AUTO INS. from Cherry Hill, N.J. my coupe was $93.00 a year. with collison at $12,500. just need a photo. : you can keep it in the bath room : JAN.
jan bogert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #40
Ca. Kid

I use Triple A. My "31" ccpu is $100 per year. Just added a "30" Murry town sedan for an additional $4. All that was required were pictures. No questions about garage.
Ca. Kid is offline   Reply With Quote