Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-23-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
midgetracer

Default F-1 steering box in Model A

Does anyone have some input on putting an F-1 steering box into a Model A? I have a 48 F-1 box that I would like to use in a 30 Coupe I am building with a B engine and a Miller head. I am so over budget that I would like to do as much of the conversion without buying any pre-made kits. I am also planning on using a B tranny so any help there would be appreciated. Thanks
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
MAG

Default Re: F-1 steering box in Model A

I have installed F100 (54-56) steering boxes in Model A's converting both two tooth and seven tooth boxes into the F100 box. However, I have never done that installation using a 48 F100 box. Perhaps someone that has done that will respond.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
LeroyM

I have a 1950 F1 steering box in my 31 coupe. Big difference over the Model A steering box. I took both steering boxes to a pro welder and had it done. The main thing you need to do is cut the mounting flange off the F1 box and weld the Model A mounting flange to the F1 box. Make sure you V both parts so the weld gets in there to hold. Also make sure you measure your angles on how you want the column to sit in the car before you do any cutting.

Here's some links I used when I did mine. Also get the book by Vern Tardel on "How to Build a Traditional Hot Rod", it has some good info on this.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...teering+column

LeroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Ice man

I put one in my 29 Pk Up, Lots of work, some one had already cut the shaft, but the worm bearing were shot so a new shaft was need. I had the new shaft cut and the Model A end welded on. Looks just like a 29 set up from the inside of the truck. It fit on the frame after some fitting, but was tight where it passes through the cowl. So I cut a hole in the frame and built a pocket for it to fit in to. Its very strong, and the steering is very easy. I have a customers 30 Ford roadster in the shop now and his complaint is the old Ford box with it built in play and stiffness. He has ordered the new Box from Ohio that is a direct bolt in replacement, but also $800.00. I was able do mine, he is not, but he has the money to do what he wants. I would not ago back to the old Box again, love the improvement. Iceman
Ice man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #5
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyM View Post
I have a 1950 F1 steering box in my 31 coupe. Big difference over the Model A steering box. I took both steering boxes to a pro welder and had it done. The main thing you need to do is cut the mounting flange off the F1 box and weld the Model A mounting flange to the F1 box. Make sure you V both parts so the weld gets in there to hold. Also make sure you measure your angles on how you want the column to sit in the car before you do any cutting.

Here's some links I used when I did mine. Also get the book by Vern Tardel on "How to Build a Traditional Hot Rod", it has some good info on this.

Another vote for Vern Tardel's and Ron Bishop's book.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
midgetracer

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thank you all very much. I will order the Tardell- Bishop book. I appreciate all the input. Any comments on putting the B transmission in my A coupe?
Rod
Old 06-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
kelley's restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
Thank you all very much. I will order the Tardell- Bishop book. I appreciate all the input. Any comments on putting the B transmission in my A coupe?
Rod
your going to need a pedal kit and all the brackets to bolt the front wishbone on
other wise its a good swap
i think you can even put 39 gears in it with a little mod to the case
tk
Old 06-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
anut

i am not a pro i did the bishop tardel f i on my av8 high boy 29 roadster cut 1inch off steering arm drives like it has power steering
anut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
anut

i ment to say pitman arm not steering cut off
anut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #10
LeroyM

Look into a 39 transmission. I think it would be easier then trying to work the B transmission into the Model A frame. They sell a kit which allows you to bolt the 39 transmission up to the Model A flywheel housing. The kit runs about $450 I think and comes with everything you need.

The 39 style transmission can be found all the way up to 1952 in the F1 pickups. Plus the later transmissions have better synchronizers in them which will make it a better shift.

I'm running this setup in my coupe and it works like a charm.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

If you want easier steering why not just use the shortened pitman arm? It's cheap and easy to install, and everyone that's done it says it really does the job.

I'm happy with my stock steering, and wil like it even better after it's rebuilt.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #12
Pete

While many people think cutting and welding on steering parts is a routine deal, I just hope I am never on the same road with you folks.
Installing a F1 or F100 steering in an A or any car can be done WITH NO WELDING...
It has been documented many times on these forums.

By the way, even the ones you buy for $800 are welded.
If welding was the best and safest way to build a steering box the factory would have done it that way to save millions of dollars.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #13
LeroyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
While many people think cutting and welding on steering parts is a routine deal, I just hope I am never on the same road with you folks.
Installing a F1 or F100 steering in an A or any car can be done WITH NO WELDING...
It has been documented many times on these forums.

By the way, even the ones you buy for $800 are welded.
If welding was the best and safest way to build a steering box the factory would have done it that way to save millions of dollars.
I'm all for safety, but if done correctly how is welding on the steering box going to cause a problem?

When I installed mine I wanted it to bolt up like the Model A steering box did. That away if I ever wanted to undo the changes I could just unbolt it. You can put anything into a Model A if you want to cut and drill new holes.

I was hesitant to do any cutting and welding on the steering box myself for legal reason and from my dad also saying "if the state trooper ever pulled you over and knew that steering box was welded on they would take it off the road".

I made a call to the Virginia state police and talked to one of the troopers who knew the law and knew about inspections. He told me welding on the steering box is fine, but do not weld on anything that moves. Tierods, steering arms and so on.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #14
modelaonly.com

modelaonly.com bolt in f100 box
modelaonly.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:44 PM   #15
jetmek

nothing wrong with welding steering components if its done by a COMPETENT welder. ive got over 20k miles hard use on mine with no trouble. make sure the column will clear the starter/ bellhousing as the column comes out of the box below the sector. i had to fab a column drop for mine so the angle of the steering wheel would look right
jetmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:44 AM   #16
midgetracer

Thanks for all the info. I am hoping to get this car done for the spring 2011 driving season and all your comments really help.