Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
Wuudie

Default 29 wheel color options

Was there a standard wheel color options that were available in 29? I've seen orange wheels- cream- green, but was wondering were there specific options on wheel colors?

And did specific body styles have different options?

Curious
Wuudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
29RPU

Default Re: 29 wheel color options

Ok, I was wondering the same thing. Till now I had always heard the choices were black and black. I was looking thru Clymer's Ford Model A book, containing what I believe are original pictures of Model A's, almost like sales pictures. The bood was first printed in 59 (I think) and I notice that one of the photos shows a tudor with a different wheel color...maybe a lighter green wheel. Anyway, someone who knows clarify please.
29RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
Russ B

My older Judging Standards says black until July 1930, then Black, Aurora Red, Apple Green, Orange, Hessian Blue, and Tacoma Green., and after July 1931: Black, Apple Green, English Coach Vermilion, and Tacoma Green.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:28 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

For the record, Floyd Clymer was more about selling books than promoting authenticity. Usually his books were found to have many errors so read them with that understanding.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
John LaVoy

And when you go with the stripe color it is fantastic!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0017.jpg (80.0 KB, 68 views)
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Turley View Post
From the factory, all wheels were black until June 1930. Dealers would paint the wheels upon request, usually the color of the pinstripe.

That interesting. I've never heard or read that. It's my belief that most dealers weren't even equipped to paint. This would explain why Ford supplied replacement doors, deck lids, etc., prepainted to match the car.

Yes, anything is possible after the fact. Just like today folks could do what they want. Of course today many folks have more disposable income (or poor fiscal management) so we see folks purchase a new car and within the first week replace the factory wheels and tires with aftermarket products. The car is still new but that doesn't make the wheels and tires "original".

I've studied era photos for almost 40 years. Deviations when the cars were fairly new did indeed exist but they weren't common.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #7
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Turley View Post
"The Ford Model A As Henry Built It", by George DeAngelis, Edward P. Francis & Leslie R. Henry, Fourth Edition, Page 233:

"Up to June of 1930, all factory installed wheels were painted black. When desired, wheels were painted with color by the dealers at extra cost to the customer. With the introduction of the Deluxe Phaeton in June 1930, colored wheels to match the stripe became standard equipment on deluxe cars."
Thanks, I didn't recall reading that. I likely just disregarded it years ago as an opinion by the authors when published in 1971. I still haven't found anything which remotely backs that up, but actually the opposite. Ford did not make any paint for that purpose so any such practice was chosen by individual dealers and done out of the purview of Ford Motor Company.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
dave in australia

In Australia, coloured wheels were available in 28-29 as standard with certain colour schemes. Of the 25 schemes available accross all models, 6 had coloured wheels, and 5 had coloured fenders.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:02 PM   #9
glenn in camino

In 1929 the factory options were black, black, and black. Some owners and dealers repainted wheels various colors over the black, but I think that was very rare.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
Wuudie

Okay- that Black-Black- Black, gives me some options.

Thanks, to all
Wuudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:26 AM   #11
29RPU

Ya, Floyd Clymer's book isn't that factual, agreed, but I THOUGHT the pictures were original ones...Maybe he posed people in goofy looking older outfits and did photo shoots then???? The pics sure looked 'Ford' produced.
29RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:44 AM   #12
Richard Wilson

EVERY 21 inch Ford wheel with colored paint that I have sandblasted through the years has had black as the base color.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #13
Special Coupe Frank

Not disputing what the original / correct color should be on pre-1930 Model A wheels, but over the last couple years, the majority of '28-'29 cars & trucks I have seen have non-black 21" wheels... many of these cars are otherwise correctly painted, in terms of body / belt / stripe....

I guess I'm not the only '28-'29 guy who likes the wheels other than black...

Having recently discovered the original paint scheme on my '28 Special Coupe ( by uncovering original paint ): Andalusite Blue lower body and reveals, with Black Belt and French Gray stripe, when I get to the point of painting-up the car in those colors, I will probably do two sets of wheels... one in "correct" black, the other in French Gray to match the stripe.
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:30 PM   #14
MCHinson

Most 1929 Phaetons that I have seen in Balsam Green/Valley Green have straw or some sort of yellow colored wheels. My car had straw colored wheels when I bought it. It looked good. I was never quite happy with it because it should have had black wheels. I got an extra set of wheels and painted them black, because I was not sure I was going to like it and thought that I might end up changing back to the straw colored wheels. The car looks quite different with the black wheels. The yellow wheels really draw attention. The black wheels don't draw attention away from the car, and the green colors of the car really stand out more. My car will have black wheels as long as I own it.
MCHinson is offline   Reply With Quote