Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2019, 08:03 AM   #21
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: LED vs HALOGEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Here you go!
http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/

He is at Hershey each year and says that his best sales people are people who have already bought them! I'm also running his red LEDs in my stop lights. Don't look directly into them when they are lit, is all I can say.

While they cost us a few dollars (what good stuff come cheap?), the exchange rate will mean you pay wayyy less.
Thanks, this is the 1st I've seen these. Their are so many vendors/designs hard to figure out what to use. Currently running Logo Lites. Will be looking into these later this summer, have other things to do on my A right now.

You recommend. Have you installed the headlights on an A, or seen them installed on an A at night, or know of someone who has them?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #22
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgitn View Post
I wonder how these would perform on a T with mag lights. The lights are powered by the magneto, from 5 to (maybe) 30 volts. Has anybody tried this yet?
You would need a power supply that could handle the ~5-30 volt variable frequency input and put out either 6 or 12 VDC depending on your choice of voltage.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:42 PM   #23
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Thanks, this is the 1st I've seen these. Their are so many vendors/designs hard to figure out what to use. Currently running Logo Lites. Will be looking into these later this summer, have other things to do on my A right now.

You recommend. Have you installed the headlights on an A, or seen them installed on an A at night, or know of someone who has them?
I run his Halogen globes. I'm on 12 volts with an alternator so I have plenty of juice to run them. It was as a result of this thread I asked him about his LED lights when I saw him at the weekend so I might be able to make a contribution to the discussion. His halogen bulbs are the best I've seen in orignal reflectors. His description of what he has done to get his LEDs as good as they are made perfect sense to me. He showed me a Logo Light and described what he does different. Chalk and cheese!
I've seen pictures of the light pattern from his lights. I'm sure he will be able to send you some pics too.
Maybe one of the members here has used these lights?
PS. I bought a pair of his red LED stop lights. I now get complaints from anyone following that they get black spots in front of their eyes after I touch the brakes. They are BRIGHT.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:58 PM   #24
Keith True

The set I've been fooling with here are the ones from Australia.I like them.I want to get a few sets for myself,but getting them seems to be a major operation.My friend told me it took him a while to get them,but I don't think I want to jump through the hoops like he did to get them.My emails to them all come back as undeliverable.They list the Little British Car Company as an agent,but he says he will look into it and get back to me.LBCC really only wants to deal through email,but I don't like email tag.If you don't want to talk to me on the phone you just don't want my business.I would like to find out just how to lay my hands on them.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:10 PM   #25
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
The set I've been fooling with here are the ones from Australia.I like them.I want to get a few sets for myself,but getting them seems to be a major operation.My friend told me it took him a while to get them,but I don't think I want to jump through the hoops like he did to get them.My emails to them all come back as undeliverable.They list the Little British Car Company as an agent,but he says he will look into it and get back to me.LBCC really only wants to deal through email,but I don't like email tag.If you don't want to talk to me on the phone you just don't want my business.I would like to find out just how to lay my hands on them.

I've also been trying to contact them for more info. Been waiting a couple of days to get an email returned I sent. Had to use his personal email, could not email through the site or download price list, get a message I need to download an app, and when I try to tells me there is not an app.

Do not want to call international, is expensive under my plan.

If someone finds a way to contact them that works - please post the info. I really would like to try his headlights and post the results. Seems strange they attend Hershey, but trying to purchase on line is problematic.

Syncro909 - can you help since you are in Australia? There seems to be few of us interested, might make a few U.S. sales since I have yet to find favorable reports on other LEDs lamps, but these may work correctly on low beam.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:27 PM   #26
30 Closed Cab PU

deleted my info, was info for a different post
Old 05-23-2019, 02:04 AM   #27
Synchro909

I just spoke with Anthony Pearson, the LED lights guy here. He said that many people get his email address wrong. It is [email protected]
Note - it is .net.au, not .com.au.
As I spoke to him, he was going through a couple of days emails from when he was away (when I spoke to him last weekend).
If you have any more trouble, let me know and I'll follow up.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:29 AM   #28
30 Closed Cab PU

Thanks Syncro909, that is the address I used - just checked email, have gotten a response from him overnight local time.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:46 AM   #29
30 Closed Cab PU

For others interested in the Australian bulbs here is the response I got, and the instructions.

Yes I know about the Logolite LEDs and have had many negative comments from customers about them. Only good thing is they are cheap!!! I have also done beam projection tests ad find as you say don’t dip just get dimmer.
My Model A kit gives a proper high low beam dip with a flat top no glare low beam like a modern headlight. They work on both polarities and 6-12v. Brightness equates to about 55w Halogen.
To fit all one has to do is remove the existiiong bulb and holder and slide the lead module in from the rear and secure with fittings supplied. Connect lead to headlight wiring and ground and you are done. Have sold dozens of kits at Carlisle and Hershey last fall with great aplomb. Price USD$150 a kit plus Airmail post of $17.
I have included a copy of the instruction sheet to give you an idea on how it all works.
Cheers
Anthony Pearson

If you are replying to an email that I have previously sent, on a topic we have been discussing, please can you remember to include that email. I receive a large amount of email each day and it can be difficult to locate our previous discussions.

http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/
Business Hrs 9am-5pm CST (Adelaide)
Classic and Vintage Bulbs
82 Cumming St
Blackwood 5051
South Australia
Ph/Fax Office 0882784393
International +61882784393
Cell/ Mobile 0401123316

------------------------------------------
Hello,

I am researching LED headlamps

I recently converted to LEDs using logolites.

http://www.logolites.com/

They are OK, but do not focus/pattern. For high/low beam they only change intensity. On the Model A do they not sit correctly in the shell, and do not properly use the characteristics of the special head lamp lens. Additionally they have 2 rows of LEDs, an upper row and a lower row, but when inserted in the lamp socket the rows are not completely level with the ground.

I am looking for more info on your bulbs but have issues with your site. I am using Gmail/ Windows 8.1, internet explorer 11, 64 bit, and when I click on some of the links on your site, get a message you want to down load an app to my computer, I need to download an app, go search for one and none available. I have had this issue with other sites, contacted the site, and eventually it gets fixed. I've also tried this on Firefox. Am using goggle, not chrome.

So had to contact you this way instead of through your site.

Was hoping to get a catalogue/pricing and enquire about what I need.

Compounding this issue is you do not seem to have a dealer/etc. for your products in the U.S. You seem to have somebody in the U.K, but only for British cars.

Also I saw where you head lamp BA15D can not use the current sockets, so is the Kit mentioned include new sockets for my existing reflectors?

If you have more info and pricing, please email it to me at this address, and if you have U.S. contact/dealer.

Thanks

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Model A Installation of Headlight LEDs.pdf (397.3 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by 30 Closed Cab PU; 05-23-2019 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:55 AM   #30
Badpuppy

Thanks for the good info, 30. Not quite a plug and play solution, but I see how it can work. It removes the external adjustment in favor of a fixed-focus design like the later 30's Fords using the flanged bulbs. The purpose of the manual focus was to throw the original 21 CP beam as far forward as possible. As Brent in TN points out, precise focus becomes less relevant with higher intensity bulbs.

The importance of proper low-beam angle and intensity becomes apparent when you encounter dense fog. Also I wonder how the different color temperatures (light frequencies) affect the amount of light reflected back into your eyes in fog.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:00 AM   #31
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post
Thanks for the good info, 30. Not quite a plug and play solution, but I see how it can work. It removes the external adjustment in favor of a fixed-focus design like the later 30's Fords using the flanged bulbs. The purpose of the manual focus was to throw the original 21 CP beam as far forward as possible. As Brent in TN points out, precise focus becomes less relevant with higher intensity bulbs.

The importance of proper low-beam angle and intensity becomes apparent when you encounter dense fog. Also I wonder how the different color temperatures (light frequencies) affect the amount of light reflected back into your eyes in fog.

It looks like adjusting the focus, according to the instructions, is moving the assembly back or forwards in the reflector receiver and clamping it in place with the small hose clamp.

Would be nice if there was some one currently using these that could give a report on them.