Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2016, 05:53 AM   #1
Synchro909

Default front brake assembly after reline

Guys, I need some advice!
I've just replaced the hard bonded linings on my front brake shoes with woven ones which I have riveted on. I managed to get one side together again afterwards but even with the adjustments backed all the way off and the clevis pin removed from the actuating arm, I an just turn the drum. I guess it will settle with time but it will get VERY hot for a while. The other side is worse. With the clevis pin removed and adjusting wedge would out to the stop, I cannot get the drum on. All of the shoes have gone back where they came from and the old linings had excellent contact with the drum. I've replaced the 3/16" bonded linings with standard 3/16" woven linings so they are no thicker and the ends of the linings have been chamfered. I replaced the original style actuating wedge guide with the ones with a floating pin - https://www.brattons.com/front-brake-floaters.html
I cannot see that they would be causing the problem, yet I cannot get the drum on. I'm considering removing a little metal from the back of the adjusting wedge to allow the shoes to come closer together at the top or maybe even shorten the pin the pushes the wedge. Ideas, comments and suggestions very welcome.

Last edited by Synchro909; 05-05-2016 at 06:05 AM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:06 AM   #2
JBill

Default Re: front brake assembly after reline

Are you sure the rollers and pins on the bottom are positioned correctly? Sometimes it's hard to see where things are actually riding. The floaters should have no effect. You didn't happen to replace the adjusting wedges did you? Some of the reproduction ones are not threaded properly so they cannot be fully retracted. I'm sure others on the board will have additional suggestions. Good luck.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:13 AM   #3
rocket1

It is hard to say what the problem could be ,I would not grind nor cut anything,if it worked before your going to have to track down the problem.I would put all the stock parts(original,not repro) back in and go from there.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:20 AM   #4
Glenn C.

Quite often when a person rivets the woven linings to the shoes, the brake lining material is difficult to lay flat to the shoe between the rivets. Often after riveting you will see light between the lining and the shoe face. I try to start in the center, and work to each end while riveting, keeping everything tight with clamps.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:15 PM   #5
Keith True

I see the light between the shoe and lining a lot.People get a little upset when I tell them I have to remove their linings and re-rivet them.I have a kick press riveter,and while I work from the center out,I do clamp the lining to the shoe with two pair of vice grips when riveting.I have had the problem of drums not fitting a couple of times,but the brake dokter cured that real fast.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #6
ian Simpson

Did you arc the new linings to the drums? Riveting using hand tools my have re-shaped the shoes a little. Also, consider that the new linings may too thick. Finally, if you have cast iron drums, you may have to relieve the outside edges of the linings so that they clear the inside corner radius of the drum.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:26 PM   #7
Synchro909

Thanks to those who have replied:
JBill, I'm confident the rollers are seated properly. I paid particular attention to that after an earlier experience.
Glen C. I worked from the centre when I riveted the linings and used clamps. I don't think there is anything wrong there.
ian simpson, I can't get the drum on far enough to worry about relieving the edges of the linings.
Cutting or grinding something is only done out of desperation. Over night, I decided to use some Prussian blue on the drums to see where the linings are touching and go from there. It'll be fiddly but I think the time will be well spent, especially after an emergency stop.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:46 PM   #8
CWPASADENA

I would not want to use Prussian Blue on the drums as you may get some on the linings and this stuff has grease in it. It is essentially oil based paint.

It was asked before if you arced the linings. This needs to be done so the arc of the shoes match the arc of the drums. This process will take a little of material off the linings which is usually enough to allow you to install the drums.

Also, did you "center" the shoes properly. This needs to be done after the shoes are arced. If the shoes are a little too high or too low, this can also cause problems with getting the drums installed.

Woven linings will give you very good brakes but they must be properly arced and centered and everything else needs to be in good condition.

My experience and opinion,

Chris W

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 05-05-2016 at 05:48 PM. Reason: TYPO
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:27 PM   #9
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
I would not want to use Prussian Blue on the drums as you may get some on the linings and this stuff has grease in it. It is essentially oil based paint.

It was asked before if you arced the linings. This needs to be done so the arc of the shoes match the arc of the drums. This process will take a little of material off the linings which is usually enough to allow you to install the drums.

Also, did you "center" the shoes properly. This needs to be done after the shoes are arced. If the shoes are a little too high or too low, this can also cause problems with getting the drums installed.

Woven linings will give you very good brakes but they must be properly arced and centered and everything else needs to be in good condition.

My experience and opinion,

Chris W
Chris, Thanks for you r input.
I am aware that Prussian Blue is oil based but I'm using a very small amount, just enough to make a mark which is removed immediately by sanding off that area. Shoes are centred.
I've had the drum on and off about 6 times so far and I'm closing in on getting it but the next thing I do will be to remove a little from the plate in front of and behind the wedge that the rollers stop against. This kit is US made and very poor quality. The floating pins didn't even fit in the holes in the wedge guide, the pins had a nib on the end from when they were parted off from the parent stock which I had to remove before they would go into the wedge. Having to adjust this plate and washer is perfectly in keeping with the poor standard of the kit.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:32 PM   #10
Glenn C.

A shaky can of flat primer will work just as well.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:27 PM   #11
tbirdtbird
BANNED

we use common chalk
Old 05-05-2016, 10:09 PM   #12
Synchro909

Chalk or primer would work fine, I imagine. I used the Prussian Blue because it was there. My father had a tin of it which ended up in my workshop when he died. Thanks, Dad.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:01 AM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Are you also aware that there are two thicknesses of brake linings sold?
Old 05-06-2016, 12:05 AM   #14
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Are you also aware that there are two thicknesses of brake linings sold?
Yes, Mike I am. I used the standard 3/16" linings which are the same thickness as the bonded ones I took off. The car has near new cast drums on it so I didn't even consider the thicker ones. Thanks for the comment.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:01 PM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

" I guess it will settle with time but it will get VERY hot for a while."

Never do this, as I tried it on my modern car, and had to replace both front bearing assemblies within a month. It was winter in Minnesota, so I figured the cold would be enough to allow the new pads to wear in to where the wheels could spin without drag. I should have sanded the new pads or removed the hardware and lubed it for the sliders, or done whatever was necessary to correct the tightness of the new pads.

Anyway, the bottom line is the heat from the tight pads burned out the grease and wheel bearings.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote