Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2016, 07:29 PM   #1
Terry, NJ

Default success at last!

I expected another unproductive day today. It freezing, snowing and just generally miserable here in the north east. The starter crapped out on me last week and I figured today would be a good day to attack it. The starter would Whirrr, but would not engage. It threw a 5/16 -24 spring bolt. I didn't replace the locking washer when the last spring was replaced. It's gone to that great wasteland, somewhere deep in the recesses of the flywheel housing. I fixed up a new bolt and locking washer. replaced the starter (With the aux. ground) and the starter spun the engine and it kicked off smartly. Next to conquer the generator! Out comes the voltmeter. With the ground (black) probe in the hot side of the cut out and the red probe grounded, the engine at 800-1000 Rpm, slowly it went up up to one volt. I Checked the ammeter and it was slowly coming up to 3-4 amps charge! WTH? The damn thing seems to be working now. But how reliably? All I did bridge the generator, jumping over the cutout ???? But it's working!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:34 PM   #2
DJ S

Default Re: success at last!

You polarized it. It should be good now.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:39 PM   #3
Big hammer

Yay but you said when up one volt? One volt above your battery voltage?
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #4
AL in NY

I would fish that starter spring bolt out of the flywheel housing before it jumps up and bites you sometime down the road.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:48 AM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL in NY View Post
I would fish that starter spring bolt out of the flywheel housing before it jumps up and bites you sometime down the road.

Excellent advice. Several good ways to try to grab it e.g. Magnet and grease. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:56 AM   #6
katy

Quote:
Ditto
Old 04-10-2016, 12:28 PM   #7
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

Home Depot sells an 10 pack of rare earth magnets for $3.99 (also called neodymium disc magnets) in the size of .3 inches in diameter by .11 inches high. Pull the starter. Place a magnet in the valley of two consecutive teeth in the ring gear. Also place one on each side of the ring gear next to the magnets in the teeth. You can place additional magnets in straight line on the flywheel starting at the back side of ring gear. Remove the spark plugs. Slowly hand crank your engine and the magnets should pick up the bolt head in the bottom of the flywheel housing. Beats trashing your ring gear and/or pulling your engine.

Last edited by Dick M; 04-10-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:00 PM   #8
Terry, NJ

Thanks Dick! I will look into that. Another method I considedered was to put blob of heavy grease and turn the engine over till the grease picks up the bolt. The same princible, different materials!
Today I went for several rides of a couple of miles and had the following happen. Then generator needed "Boosting" again to get it started.Once, But no more, the rest of the day, it worked fine. I was pleased that the speedometer is now working and I was pleased to see the speeds I saw (60 mph). About halfway through, the accelerator pedal started to stick at about half throttle. This was bad news! I was going down a steep hill and suddenly the brakes weren't working. I was headed for the bottom like a brick in a well! Finally, the pedal unstuck it's self and I got it stopped. It continued sticking the rest of the way home.
One my final ride, I was about two hundred yards from the driveway and it just quit! WTH? Long story short, The coil wire worked it's way out. I put it back and it started imediatley. I quit while I was ahead. More to come!
Terry
Old 04-10-2016, 09:59 PM   #9
Bill Cilker

If you use the magnets, tie a string the magnets so that you can pull them out if they decide to come off the flywheel.
Victoria Association President
Bill Cilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #10
katy

Why not drop the rear of the front radius rod and fish it out the bottom opening?
Old 04-12-2016, 02:32 PM   #11
Terry, NJ

Tues. I took the coupe to lab Corp (My PT INR) in a town with steep hills, about eight miles away today. Here's my Pirep (Pilot's Report) The gas ;pedal still sticks even with an auxilary spring.
The Generator needed it's boost. This consists of giving a squirt of electric motor "Technician in a can". Squirt the commutator and polarize it and it works fine till tomorrow, then I'll have to start it all over again.??????
New problem, It jumps out of 3rd gear, especially when under a strain like climbing hills.
The car ran fine except for these and the fact that the gas tank shut off is leaking and I smelled gas. Didn't stall once! Although it rumbled bit going down hill. I got it up to 60 MPH, at least thats what the speedometer said! and the pedal had some travel left in it.I wonder did I miss anything? I believe that's all. That's enough!
Terry
Old 04-12-2016, 02:55 PM   #12
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Throttle getting stuck??? Is it getting stuck 1/2 way down or fully down or just not returning to base idle??/ I had them not return to base idle slightly elevated with a good return spring etc , the cause was a worn throttle shaft.. Make sure it's not getting stuck on the floorboard. Jumping out of 3rd gear oiy-veh... Pour some technician in a can in the trans also
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote