Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-22-2015, 06:46 AM   #1
Phred

Default Why use 12 volt starter?

When I switched my car to 12 volts in 2009, I retained the 6 volt starter. As the car gets LOTS of use, I have had some challenges over the years that I contribute to 12 volts on 6 volt starter. In my opinion the 6 volt starter will "slam" harder into the flywheel ring gear and spin faster when receiving 12 volts. Over the year I have had:

1) Broken (2) original style bendix springs. Replaced with a "barrel" style bendix that has held up well till now.

2) Bevel of the barrel bendix gear teeth did not mate well with flywheel ring gear. The extra thrust of the 12 volts effectively "pushed" the ring gear out of position on the flywheel and buggered up the ring gear teeth. Grinding a better matching bevel on the bendix teeth and installing a tight fitting ring gear has solved this problem.

3) After several years of use, the keyed hardened steel bushing of the bendix that slides over the starter shaft cracked at the woodruff key slot, letting the woodruff key and barrel set screw wiggle and eventually shear and wear off.

As my car will continue to get LOTS of use, I have decided to use a 12 volt starter from now on to reduce the stress on the starter bendix/ring gear, hopefully eliminating my previous problems over the years.

While "your mileage may vary", I hope my experiences may help someone else avoid similar challenges.

Please, no need to comment whether changing to 12 volts is "right or wrong".

Peace, Phred
Phred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:58 AM   #2
V4F

Default Re: Why use 12 volt starter?

I had one explode in the bell housing . but I still use the 6v in a 12v system . I should change also .........
Old 10-22-2015, 09:00 AM   #3
Kurt in NJ

I have a different experience---
restored starter in 1968 with cleaning ,paint, and grease on bushings

when apart to fix crummy babbitt in 1985 replaced ring gear and bolts/locks on bendix because of 2 locked starter jammed bendix episodes

since 1985 only work---4 batterys

through the years i have been asked if I have 12V because of my bright lights and fast cranking----I attribute this to proper restoration using new lockwashers and a higher than normal charge rate---new lockwashers bite through paint and conduct electric better than old corroded worn ones, the higher charge rate keeps the battery "up"
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:32 AM   #4
Benson

Default Re: Why use 12 volt starter?-Grounding star washers

These "double star washers" work very well.

I first saw them used on IBM machines for all grounding situations 48 years ago.

http://www.grainger.com/product/GRAI...AS01?$smthumb$

They have two areas (both on the OD and ID of the washer) that dig into the metal for a good connection.

That is why they are called "Internal/External Tooth" washers.

Another style:
http://www.grainger.com/product/GRAI...APPD&pbi=2DB86

Last edited by Benson; 10-22-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #5
harleynut

Thanks for posting that information....I have two As, both with 12v to 6v starter...they will get changed to 12v this winter to avoid the problems you had......great information.......that's what makes this site so great
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
Y-Blockhead

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleynut View Post
Thanks for posting that information....I have two As, both with 12v to 6v starter...they will get changed to 12v this winter to avoid the problems you had......great information.......that's what makes this site so great
You just need to change your field coils to 12 volt field coils. Much cheaper than changing out the whole starter.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:17 PM   #7
CarlG

Has anyone used one of the gear reduction 12V starters? I had a "new in the box" one given to me that I am considering using. Besides the fact that they don't look original?
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:44 PM   #8
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Has anyone used one of the gear reduction 12V starters? I had a "new in the box" one given to me that I am considering using. Besides the fact that they don't look original?
I was using them before there was a direct bolt on version for a model A by making my own adapter.
I use them on the flathead V8's I build also.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:54 PM   #9
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
You just need to change your field coils to 12 volt field coils. Much cheaper than changing out the whole starter.
That is one way of sorting the problem. I take my starters apart and reconfigure the field windings. Originally, they were in pairs. Each pair had two windings connected in series and the two pairs then connected in parallel. I connect all four in series. This gives 4 times the resistance in the fields that it had before and thus reduces the voltage going to the armature. It's easy to do and costs nothing but a little time. Just make sure you connect each winding the right way 'round.
Another even easier solution is to take yourself off to a wrecking yard and get hold of the battery cables from one of those little Asian rice burners. These cables are small diameter and cause a voltage drop along their length. I have used such a cable on both the active and earth side of the battery to get the desired result. They have PLENTY of capacity to do everything else in the car.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:56 AM   #10
monto

Smile Re: Why use 12 volt starter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
You're right - they don't look original. A previous owner installed one in my A. It's been flawless. No cranking; touch the button - instant start. Very pleased with it..
monto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:11 AM   #11
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
This is what I did. I had a local starter shop swap the 12 volt field coils in for me and clean up the rest. It works well.

You can do the same thing with an original generator (not the Power House style) to make it a 12 volt generator. Very easy for an automotive electric shop to put in 12 volt field coils for you. That, with a hidden electronic voltage regulator added, and you have a sweet system that looks more original than an alternator.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:09 AM   #12
Dodge

A trick I have been using for years that I got from my father is to take a bendix spring
and put it on the starter post and hook the battery cable up to it. This cuts the voltage down to about 8 volts the car starts a little faster with out killing everything. You have to
grind down one of the eyes thinner to fit on the post.
It really works......
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:13 AM   #13
Phred

Default Follow Up

Received the new barrel style bendix and 12 volt starter.
Confirmed bendix had proper bevel on gear and installed all.

After a few weeks of use, I am happy. Starter engages much gentler and turns engine over plenty fast for starting.

Peace to all.
Phred is offline   Reply With Quote