Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
Garagekulture13

Default Holley 94 on 1953 Ford

I have read several post, articles, and videos on the subject of the 94 but still am a bit confused. I have a 1953 Ford Customline flathead V8. The car is new to me but the previous owner said he rebuilt the carb. He didn't say why he did. However he did mention that it easily floods out on startup. So when I got the car home it smelled to be running super rich and oil spelled of gas. I changed the plugs and oil immediately after I got it. Just a few miles around the block and the plugs are black again. I could see black smoke from the exhaust. Almost like suet from a torch. (Maybe not that bad, lol). So I started trouble shooting. I found that the carb was setup to have some slight choke all the time. When I fixed that the car would no longer idle. Right now I have the idle mixture screws set half a turn out and the car will idle. Vacuum reading at the intake is 18 to 19 steady. Right now it is still running the blackened plugs but about to change them again. I don't trust the rebuilt carb situation so I ordered a new Edelbrock 94. My thinking was I'll just throw a new carb on and go but after some research I found that the Edelbrock not having the spark control valve could negatively affect the advancing of the distributor. Any insight you all my have would be very much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Garagekulture13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:29 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Holley 94 on 1953 Ford

Typical amateur rebuild. I would first suspect a leaking power valve. Either the wrong one that looks right but doesn't seat correctly, or a blown diaphragm. Take the top off the carb, fill the float bowl with gas, and let it sit over night. (I usually put the top back on or at least cover the bowl with aluminum foil.) If the fuel level is down significantly the next morning, you have a bad power valve.

Of course, the ultimate solution is to send it to "Charlie, ny" and have it rebuilt properly. "Sciala" on here is also good.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:34 PM   #3
Garagekulture13

It was my assumption that if I was able to run the mixture screws in and the motor shutoff then power valve was not blown. This maybe a poor test. If I screw either mixture screw in the motor will die. If I just run the new Edelbrock 94 will this affect the advancing?

Old 06-24-2020, 02:10 PM   #4
Ross F-1

Are the mixture screws about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turns out? Is your idle speed to spec? How about the timing, has it been checked and does advance work?
Old 06-24-2020, 02:42 PM   #5
Garagekulture13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post
Are the mixture screws about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turns out? Is your idle speed to spec? How about the timing, has it been checked and does advance work?
Mixture screws are a 1/2 turn out. Idle is set to ear. I have dwell meter that also reads RPM but it flaked out on me. Also I have not checked the timing or whether the advance is working. The car fires right up and idles now with no choke. Also it when I test drove the car it drove out nice.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:47 PM   #6
Phil Gillespie

Another area if not the power valve at fault could be jet size.
Starting off point dependant upon sea level is 51 jets. Maybe jets too big.
Condition and action of distributor may also come ito play.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:19 PM   #7
flatjack9

The fact that it runs with the idle screws out 1/2 turn indicates that fuel is getting into the engine from somewhere other than the idle circuit. I would not suspect jets.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:28 PM   #8
Garagekulture13

I pulled the top off of the carb and poured some fuel in the bowl. While standing there I could see it start to drop out of the nozzles in the ventura. I pulled the power valve but did not see any holes.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:43 PM   #9
tubman

You won't be able to see the holes if there are any, because they are inside. It may sound gross, but one way to find if the power valve is any good is to suck on the flat end with the hole in it and place your tongue over the hole. If it's good, it will stick to your tongue.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:49 PM   #10
paul2748

As mentioned before, the later power valves do not seal good on the older carbs. I believe Charlie NY has modified power valves that seat correctly.
paul2748 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:56 PM   #11
tubman

Let it sit overnight and tell us how much fuel is in the bowl tomorrow morning (after you re-install the power valve and fill the bowl).
Old 06-24-2020, 07:58 PM   #12
Charlie ny
BANNED

GK,
That power valve ,which we find in many kits, is not the best design for your 94.
The best in my opinion are those that have 3 small bleed orifices and NOT the square
openings. In most cases if checked carefully you will find the gasket face is far from

flat and not at all square with the 1/2-32 threads. Quite often the soft sqishey gasket
supplied won't seal so well. Let me know if i can help.
Charlie
[email protected]
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:09 AM   #13
Aarongriffey

Ya, what Tubman said is what I thought right from the start.
Also, today I was checking the distributor on an 8BA. I don’t know what the engine came out of but the owner was not happy with it.
I pushed on the distributor plate to see if it would move and it did move all the way but would only return half way. They may have been setting the timing with the advance already half way advanced.
Also the points were so out of line that when the points close they almost miss each other.
Small things can cause large problems.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:37 AM   #14
flatheadmurre

With that style nosslebar the float height should be different from std 94 if i remember right...something is ringing in the back of my head...can dig out the holley bible if not some of the pro rebuilders jump in.
Usually when people rebuild just that style of nossle bar carbs it ends up bad...i just donīt like them for that reason...
Since itīs a carb for an automatic it needs to be tight and nice in the shaft which is different from if you buy a generic replacement carb.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:33 AM   #15
corvette8n

Send your carb to Charlie NY, he will rebuild it right, he did mine and its something I don't have to worry about.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:04 AM   #16
Garagekulture13

This morning I filled the bowl up to the hole that goes to the pump plunger and in a couple of hours it had gone down over half way.

As recommended by many I got in contact with Charlie NY and the carb is currently on it's way to him. It's always nice to speak with someone who takes the time to explain a situation and the available options.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:34 AM   #17
tubman

You will not be sorry.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:22 PM   #18
Garagekulture13

Update: I got my carb back from Charlie in NY and got it put on today. I did not adjust anything and the car fired right up. No gas smell, no black sooty smoke, just a smooth running flathead. The family and I jumped in and went to a local ma and pa burger place for lunch no issues. Later took my dad across town to pick up his vehicle from a tire shop and he complimented how smooth the car ran. He said I was lucky to have found Charlie and I couldn't agree more. After speaking with Charlie on the phone he doesn't come off to me as the type to toot his own horn so this is me saying thanks. Thank you Charlie and thanks to everyone who recommended him.

Old 07-15-2020, 01:23 AM   #19
Brian

You're damn right; Charlie does not toot his own horn, but quietly does what he does best. He is the best!!
Old 07-15-2020, 02:51 AM   #20
Tinker

Power valves offered are not correct and been a subject to discussion for a decade. Glad charlie got you straighten out. They don't seat. Some milling needed. I run 30's fords and strombergs. Had a few holleys.

Last edited by Tinker; 07-15-2020 at 03:00 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote