Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2020, 07:45 AM   #21
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: GM 1 WIRE alternator

I removed the front half of the case and milled it flat then adapted a stock 40 generator mount to the front of the alternator. The front bearing is the same .Also, the stock generator pulley will screw onto the alternator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EDF7A4A3-1CE0-4CEA-B64F-143C07F00CB9.jpg (36.4 KB, 38 views)
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:02 AM   #22
V8 Bob

I learned about the well designed 2nd generation GM 10SI/12SI alternators over 20 years ago from Mark at M.A.D. Electrical. I had a local re-builder compare a one-wire 10SI to a 1st gen Ford alternator I was going to use, and discovered the much higher amperage output of the 10SI at idle rpms. This low output was typical of most 1st gen alternators. I also had the one-wire regulator changed to the factory 3-wire, so the alternator could operate like it was designed.

The GM one-wire alternator was intended for tractor/fork lift/etc usage where charging the battery was the primary purpose, not on production vehicles. Wired like they were designed, the #2 sense wire makes sure the 14.4 voltage output is at the main voltage or power distribution lug, not just to the back of the alternator. This eliminates or minimizes voltage loss between the alternator and the distribution location. The "idiot" light (like the #194 I use) will also let you know if there is a problem that might not be obvious, like a bad diode. The case can be clocked to help "clean up the wiring, so that should not be a factor.

Once you learn the benefits of properly using 3 wires, you may go to the very little extra effort adding two wires!

I'm pretty sure some of the latest Ford alternators are similar in operation and design so I might use one in the future to keep my Ford engines all Ford!
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:09 AM   #23
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongriffey View Post
My F1 V8 has a 12 volt late Chevrolet generator converted

My F1 V8 has a 12 volt Late Chevy generator and new regulator. When I first start it the ammeter reads 30.
When I drive at night I gotta be careful. I have dead battery problems a lot and new batteries don’t last long. It did not help when I installed the 3.5:1 rear end. And I don’t have a radio or a heater. I really need an alternator when my $hip comes in.
If you can’t keep the battery charged up good they don’t last long.

along with a new 12 volt Chevy regulator.
It looks to me like there may be something else going on. Have you checked for parasitic draw?

You might consider disconnect a battery cabe when you're through driving and see if that helps.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #24
Bob/Pa

Been running a 40 amp 1 wire for 20 years with no problems. Basic needs, no additional electric fans, radio, etc.
Bob/Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:28 AM   #25
lefty rodan

Hi:
Please send me the link to properly sizing my alternator. Thanks for your effort.

lefty Rodan [email protected]
lefty rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:58 AM   #26
19Fordy

Ken, Your adaptation of the alternator is excellent.
Looks great too.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote