Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2017, 09:00 PM   #1
Elcastor

Default Roadster Tack Strip?

What is this piece called on a 1930 Standard Roadster? (The rusty channel on top of the belt rail) It appears to have wood inside of it. How did Ford get wood in there? How to I get wood in there? Maybe use material from a plastic cutting board as suggested for the top bows? Do any of the parts suppliers supply this piece of sheet metal? Sorry for all the questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3780.jpg (58.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3783.jpg (46.1 KB, 69 views)
Elcastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:04 PM   #2
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Default Re: Roadster Tack Strip?

When I got the wood strip from LeBaron Bonny many years ago for my 31 Deluxe Roadster, it looked like it would never fit. Called them.. They said "Start in the center and work out in both directions. It will form itself as it goes." And it did. Fit well.

Do not know who makes the channel. Maybe Brookville?
Old 10-14-2017, 06:26 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

That is not wood but a material that looks like compressed leather. No one makes the channel. I thought about reproducing it at one time but never have tooled up. Here's the deal, the door fit on a roadster body is dependent on that tack strip as being rigid to hold the width. While wood can be substituted, the wood needs to be one solid piece, -not three pieces screwed down from the center out. Unfortunately, many don't realize this until it is too late.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:41 AM   #4
Elcastor

Brent, would an additional piece of heavy sheet metal tack welded to the top of the tack strip negatively affect anything. If not then new countersink holes could be drilled in the additional sheet metal to hold the screw heads. Is there a better solution?
Elcastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:52 AM   #5
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
That is not wood but a material that looks like compressed leather. No one makes the channel. I thought about reproducing it at one time but never have tooled up. Here's the deal, the door fit on a roadster body is dependent on that tack strip as being rigid to hold the width. While wood can be substituted, the wood needs to be one solid piece, -not three pieces screwed down from the center out. Unfortunately, many don't realize this until it is too late.
The curved wood piece I got fro LB back when was all one piece, but had the curve in it that formed to shape when assembling it from the center out on both sides.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:12 AM   #6
midgetracer

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
On my 30 phaeton, I filled the channel with Kwik Poly. It was a messy job and required a lot of sanding off the runs and many applications, but it seemed to finish off the part very well.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:32 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins View Post
The curved wood piece I got fro LB back when was all one piece, but had the curve in it that formed to shape when assembling it from the center out on both sides.
That must have been a long time ago because for the past 15 years or so, Classic Wood (when Steve owned it) had to make them in 3 pieces to be able to affordably ship them. I knew Steve well and we had this very discussion about why he did them in 3 pieces. Any chance your wood came from Meyers in Wichita?

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
On my 30 phaeton, I filled the channel with Kwik Poly. It was a messy job and required a lot of sanding off the runs and many applications, but it seemed to finish off the part very well.
In this application, because the Lift-a-Dot fasteners are almost like a small lag screw, it will work fine within the Kwik-Poly bedding however Kwik-Poly sets up hard and does not work well for retaining nails, tacks, & brads because it does not give to be elastic around the fastener. Kwik-Poly was originally invented for the Equine industry where the Ferrier could mix up something quick to apply and reshape for correcting horses hoofs. When they nailed into it, they often bradded the nail over to keep the nail in the hoof.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:31 PM   #8
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
That must have been a long time ago because for the past 15 years or so, Classic Wood (when Steve owned it) had to make them in 3 pieces to be able to affordably ship them. I knew Steve well and we had this very discussion about why he did them in 3 pieces. Any chance your wood came from Meyers in Wichita?

In this application, because the Lift-a-Dot fasteners are almost like a small lag screw, it will work fine within the Kwik-Poly bedding however Kwik-Poly sets up hard and does not work well for retaining nails, tacks, & brads because it does not give to be elastic around the fastener. Kwik-Poly was originally invented for the Equine industry where the Ferrier could mix up something quick to apply and reshape for correcting horses hoofs. When they nailed into it, they often bradded the nail over to keep the nail in the hoof.
You are correct. The one piece strip was bought from LB in the late 70s. Also bought their T14-C tan/greenish canvas top. I don't think you can find T14-C anymore..