Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2018, 09:00 PM   #1
meric42

Default Convertible Top Guys

Has anybody bought a convertible top from the Convertible Top Guys, if so what was it like for quality and fit?

The top on the '53 I just bought Shredded itself on the trip to Texas. It must have been too old to survive the journey so I am looking to buy an economical replacement for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53 Texas 03.jpg (38.9 KB, 17 views)

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:28 AM   #2
Frank Miller

Default Re: Convertible Top Guys

No such thing as economical replacement. If you are getting it installed have your installer buy it or ask him where to buy it. I was at my upholstery shop last week and he was saying how the cheap top was taking longer and costing more in the long run. In 2006 I shelled out 3k for a custom top fitted to my 49. After 12 years and 45 thousand miles it still looks nice. The black stay fast Haartz cloth has held up well.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:02 AM   #3
Jersey Devil

Have top from Electron Top Manufacturing Company on my 49 Ford and I am very pleased with it. It is over 20 years old and looks new. Car is kept in garage and covered, but has been exposed to weather at various car shows.

Inexpensive tops in the long run don’t exist.

Tom
Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #4
supereal

I bought a new top from LeBaron Bonney and had a quality shop install it. That job is not for the inexperienced. A friend of mine with a '48 convertible had his top replaced at a different shop, and it was so tight that the doors dragged when the top was cinched in place. Convertibles are quite flexible in the middle without a steel top to brace them, and adjusting the top and the doors can be a time consuming process, made more difficult if the top is not correctly put on.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #5
meric42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Devil View Post
Have top from Electron Top Manufacturing Company on my 49 Ford and I am very pleased with it. It is over 20 years old and looks new. Car is kept in garage and covered, but has been exposed to weather at various car shows.

Inexpensive tops in the long run don’t exist.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I bought an Electron top for my Mustang, fitted it myself and am very pleased with it. So Electron might well be a good option. Cheers, Meric.

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:47 PM   #6
rotorwrench

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
It's hard to beat Haartz for any form a top material. There stuff is about as good as it gets for UV light and weather protection. Installing a top is almost the same difficulty level as sewing up the panels made from good patterns. Most convertibles need some TLC somewhere in the top irons or tack strips (or both). They always had a harder life than the metal tops. If you want to save money, DIY the install and get the best kit you can find. If folks recommend one and have high praise, that's the one to go with.

The companies that have automated equipment to cut materials can save time over others but the equipment is very expensive and they have to pay for that & maintain it. Unless a person does it all themselves, it's going to have a price tag. Most trimmers would much rather not use a kit. No one brings raw eggs & bacon to a restaurant to get breakfast so you can't expect them to do a kit install. Ask nicely and they might but if the kit is crap, they will end up redoing a lot of it anyway.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote