Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2020, 05:26 AM   #1
FlatheadV8Mike

Default Same Clutch noise problem after third assembly and a lot of archive searches

Hi all,
I did many searches on the archives here.
Also I head a looong thread at The Hamb.
The guys there told me to ask you guys, cause you are out there are the real gutus and know much more details.
Ok, my story:
1936 Ford 1950 Merc Flatty, stroked and dual carbs, plenty of power. Love the car soo much.bought it from Pennsylvania. T5 tranny. Stock bellhousing with adapter.
Stock Type TO (Aetna), three arm pressure plate, clutch disc Centerforce, pilot bearing.
Its starts with a noise while touching or pressing the clutch pedal, even slightly. The most of you will tell me TO.
Ok, changed the TO.
Noise still there....
So, next round,I changed pressure plate and found out the new Centerforce clutch, compared to the chinese one, which was in, would tough the fly wheel screw heads. So I grinded them down, till there have to be enough space.
Assembled all together - noise gone.
...for 150 miles...now, there is the scratching noise exactly as the motor rpm again, while toughing the pedal....the noise is sometimes more, sometimes less. Yesterday it was horrable loud, when I was driving with my wife.
After cooling down a bit in the Garage...it was less.
Noise sounds like scratching metall...grrg...grrrg...grrg...if you let the pedal go it leaves...
If have an idea...so...please...please let me know....this is the fourth time I reassemble everything...even recommends for changing things will be helpful...hope to get rid of it..
If you need a video let me know - car is assembled actualy..
Michael from Germany
FlatheadV8Mike is offline   Reply With Quote