Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2016, 07:55 AM   #1
rbtaylor

Default Spider Hubcaps

I recently bought a 1936 Ford chassis and drivetrain to take off a few parts that I needed for my '36 Tudor project. It came with a complete set of spider hubcaps that are in excellent condition.

Can anyone tell me how to tell if they are original or reproduction pieces? I do not see a part number anywhere on them.

I have traded everything off,except for the hubcaps.
rbtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
v8fordman

Default Re: Spider Hubcaps

Many times there is a patent stamp on the underside. I do not see one on the cap you have pictured. These have also been cleaned up and any kind of solvent will erase it so this is not a true test of originality. Another way is to look at the sharpness of the stamping especially at the lower end of the "V". If you are ever able to put an original and a repro side by side, you can see what I mean.... but it is real difficult to describe. I can't tell for sure by the photo, but yours looks very sharp.
v8fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:16 AM   #3
rbtaylor

I also kept the beauty rings as well. I didn't state it in the above post, but these are installed on my 16" rims.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:19 AM   #4
37 Coupe

I would guess that if the non stainless steel ring is rusted more than surface rust that they are originals.My theory is that this would mean they are very old and driven in a lot of wet conditions and mayby salt. The Bill Hirsch ones that have been around since early seventies were probably not subjected to such conditions. This has always been the way I have been able to tell. Originals also snap on pretty tight I have had Hirsch ones that have never fit right some to tight to go on at all others that would not stay on.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:48 AM   #5
rbtaylor

I can't find any stampings or markings anywhere on them. I assume that if they are genuine Ford parts then they would have a permanent mark on them. So I am assuming that they are repop.

Is there a market for repop spider hubcaps?
Old 07-26-2016, 08:53 AM   #6
rbtaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
I would guess that if the non stainless steel ring is rusted more than surface rust that they are originals.My theory is that this would mean they are very old and driven in a lot of wet conditions and mayby salt. The Bill Hirsch ones that have been around since early seventies were probably not subjected to such conditions. This has always been the way I have been able to tell. Originals also snap on pretty tight I have had Hirsch ones that have never fit right some to tight to go on at all others that would not stay on.
The chassis that they came off of was from South Carolina, so no snow. They do have rust on the inside steel rings, but not much pitting. They snap on firmly and seem to fit very well. There is some evidence of having had some dings tapped out from the inside. I assume that if this was done, they could have cleaned the ink off, if they did have ink stamps on them at one time or another...
Old 07-26-2016, 09:46 AM   #7
fottyjs

Bill Hirsh has repros in the V8 Times for $195 each....They are desirable to some folks...
fottyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:25 PM   #8
DavidG

Gennies do not have any markings on them that would associate them with Ford so you can't go by that. Judging from your photos, they look to be the real thing.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote