Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2020, 06:53 PM   #1
oldford2

Default In these times, Fordbarn is my comfort

I always start the day - 6am - by catching up online with the local and national news. After 20 minutes I have had enough so I go on the Barn. Relax and read the posts. I am working on a 46 pickup and decided to bleed the brakes. Who knows when it was done last time. The rear bleeders were froze pretty tight but got them to break loose. So called the Missus and she did the pump and hold for me. Refilled the master twice for each wheel. Sort of messy. Then the front left was really stuck. The 3/8 6 sided box rounded the hex on the bleeder. So a pair of vise grips finally did the trick. This was after 3 hours of up and down under the truck. Not easy for an 81 year old. In the low 90's today but my shop has a window a/c and is insulated. Right front was really stuck. Have been spraying 2 days with Blaster. Even the vise grip could not budge it. Heated it twice with my butane little torch. No luck. So it looks like in the morning I will have to remove the wheel and brakes so I can remove the wheel cylinder and take it down to my shop. I am sure another problem will arise over that. Then what. A new cylinder is the best but doubt I can get one local. I will try. Maybe Joe's has one in stock for quick shipping.
In spite of all this it was still a fun day in the shop. I am a happy boy and always say I am going to live till I die.
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:05 PM   #2
Step-down

Default Re: In these times, Fordbarn is my comfort

Enjoyed hearing about your day and glad your enjoying life under a ford . You seem blessed at 81
Ford Barn is great
Old 07-09-2020, 07:31 PM   #3
Will D

Good on ya John, you'll get it. Just imagine what a dull day it may have been if it didn't give you grief. Keeps you going. Gotta love those patience building exercises, not that you haven't had your fair share in 81 years.
Will D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:22 PM   #4
37 Cab

You could also loosen the line and let the fluid out that way if you are just flushing it.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:42 PM   #5
tubman

Once you get those bleeder screws freed up, consider replacing with them with "Speed-Bleeders". You can bleed the brakes by yourself, which (in my experience), leads to a happier "missus". If the bleeder screws were stuck that badly, they probably need replacing anyway. (I also wonder about the condition of the wheel cylinders.)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:08 AM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
A new cylinder is the best but doubt I can get one local. I will try.
John

Call Michael Driscoll on the phone at 3rd Gen Automotive in McMinville, Tn. He has the good ones and can get one to ya pronto! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:40 AM   #7
PeteVS

In order, I read Dilbert, look at the weather forecast and then go to FordBarn. The news can wait.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:22 AM   #8
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

I fix a cup of coffee first then read the paper let the dog out then check Ford Barn. I guess it family for us all.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:37 AM   #9
RalphM

Ford Barn was first on my list today, with a cup of coffee. News is too skewed and depressing these days, a day without it is a good day.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:55 AM   #10
LuckyFordGuy

Me too Ford Barn coffee then the news
LuckyFordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #11
joe 1950

Good morning oldford2 the best news of the day is that one of the barners got the help they needed to get another old ford back on the road also there must be a parts store around you somewhere try them you’d be surprised how long they and other manufacturers used those cylinders
joe 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #12
Jack Shaft
BANNED

I'm lazy and my wife thinks I'm yelling at her when I say pump it..so I just open the bleeder and let gravity do the work
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:39 PM   #13
Joe Immler

Oldfordy, May you have many more happy, healthy years!!!!!
Speaking of coffee which I love-when I was 72 I got signed up with a new Doctor. Going through my file he asked if I drink coffee. I answered "of course." He asked how much. I told him in the summer 2 or 3 cups. In the winter a whole pot. He said I should stop drinking coffee as it is not good for me. My loud response was "You won't let me smoke anymore. You won't let me drink anymore. I am divorced and not having sex anymore. I will be triple goddamned if I will give up my coffee!!!!" He threw up his arms in defense and said "OK,OK."
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:30 PM   #14
Bob NH

oldford2, looks like we are in a boat together ? And putting along on the same year vehicles . Only difference is I have four more years ahead of you and would agree getting up and down off a creeper under the pu is a bit taxing at times ! Joe Immler, Drink mo Coffee !
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:31 PM   #15
37 Cab

I usually loosen the bleeder a little and put a piece of vacuum hose on the bleeder valve and run it into a container partially filled with brake fluid. Make sure the end of the hose is submerged and pump the brakes a few times holding it down with my hood prop rod from between the brake pedal and front of the seat. Close the valve and move on to the next wheel. Leave the wife in the house.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:09 PM   #16
39portlander

Hey, we are all car guy's here and usually it's a bad battery or some damn loose wire that gets us down. Hang in there OldFord2 I got some good news today and from a great tip here from the fella's on FordBarn about Vintage Vehicles in Wautoma WI.

The good news is they actually have a complete restored grill shell and trim available as my original needs a lot of work to complete the 39 P/U.

Stick with the coffee and FordBarn, the general info here is inspiring and positive. That local and national Debbie downer stuff is just there to depress you and keep you hating the country we live in.

The only new new's I would like to know is when that darn New Bronco is gonna get here so I can test drive one
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:17 PM   #17
koates

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Cab View Post
I usually loosen the bleeder a little and put a piece of vacuum hose on the bleeder valve and run it into a container partially filled with brake fluid. Make sure the end of the hose is submerged and pump the brakes a few times holding it down with my hood prop rod from between the brake pedal and front of the seat. Close the valve and move on to the next wheel. Leave the wife in the house.
Yep, that is the way I always bleed my brakes on my own. No outside help is needed. The darling wife is happy too. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:28 PM   #18
GB SISSON

I have an old 14" delta bandsaw next to my best parking spot in the shop. I just depress the brake pedal to the floor and measure to the front of the seat. Cut a 1x4 to suit. A couple extra ups and downs, but I don't have to disturb my wife away from her british murder mystery on pbs.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote