Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2016, 09:08 AM   #41
Rocketsled

Default Re: A new look at a very old subject.. Oil.

Back in the 1950's and early 1960's at our Texaco we sold mostly Havoline HD 20W. The old timers used SAE 20 year 'round in Southcoast Mass.
When 10W-30 came out, it became an instant best-seller at $.75/qt.
Havoline HD sold for $.65 at our station and Texaco HD was $.50. Texaco ND was $.40 and oil from a drum, sold at the pumps in glass bottles was $.25 per quart. STP sold for $1.00 per pint!
I read where Model A engines were run in by electric motors before they went to the assembly line. Using a full, single oil type synthetic might not be appropriate. I would ask an engineer at Mobil for his opinion on what you intend to do.
Rocketsled-C.L.S.
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:58 PM   #42
Bruce Adams

I notice this thread has been everywhere, but FWIW following engine break-in with 5W-30 mineral oil, I have driven the past ten thousand miles or so using 5W-30 Mobil One with very good results on my insert bearings, HC head, touring package engine. I do not burn any oil in particular and it is totally quiet.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:26 PM   #43
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
There are many skilled experienced posters here who freely share valuable info and tricks of the trade. Many of us try to write in such a way as to help future readers; meaning we might expand our reasoning beyond the immediate question, or in this case, the perceived question. We are aware that there will be many many viewers yet to come. Just look at the view ratings. There are really just a handful of regulars and literally hundreds of viewers, and some of us are trying to write something complete enough to help everyone.
It can be hard to know if we are giving more info than was requested, but if we do, that is NOT harming anyone. If someone feels harmed in this way then I truly think they should find another forum.

We are not all equally articulate and thus some may have trouble understanding the true intent of a new thread based on info presented. Again, we are dealing with perception. Perception is reality. A forum is printed word only. Non verbal, no body language, no emotion, little chance for the kind of dialogue found in face to face communication. So we all do the best we can.

Frankly, there are a couple of posters here that seem to get easily offended if the responses don't hone in on exactly what the OP had in mind. Well, I guarantee one thing. No one here is a mind reader. Rather than calling out the responders for their perception, they need to firstly look into the mirror and see if any of their own limitations have contributed to any misunderstandings.
If a persecution complex persists, maybe it is time to find another forum.
Very good comment.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:46 AM   #44
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
Very good comment.
I agree it is
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:09 AM   #45
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
There are many skilled experienced posters here who freely share valuable info and tricks of the trade. Many of us try to write in such a way as to help future readers; meaning we might expand our reasoning beyond the immediate question, or in this case, the perceived question. We are aware that there will be many many viewers yet to come. Just look at the view ratings. There are really just a handful of regulars and literally hundreds of viewers, and some of us are trying to write something complete enough to help everyone.
It can be hard to know if we are giving more info than was requested, but if we do, that is NOT harming anyone. If someone feels harmed in this way then I truly think they should find another forum.

We are not all equally articulate and thus some may have trouble understanding the true intent of a new thread based on info presented. Again, we are dealing with perception. Perception is reality. A forum is printed word only. Non verbal, no body language, no emotion, little chance for the kind of dialogue found in face to face communication. So we all do the best we can.

Frankly, there are a couple of posters here that seem to get easily offended if the responses don't hone in on exactly what the OP had in mind. Well, I guarantee one thing. No one here is a mind reader. Rather than calling out the responders for their perception, they need to firstly look into the mirror and see if any of their own limitations have contributed to any misunderstandings.
If a persecution complex persists, maybe it is time to find another forum.
Written like a true professional. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:40 AM   #46
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
If you want to go nuts, you can use break in oil. It is made by several companies, but
the ones we use are Brad Penn and Gibbs racing. It has plenty of zinc in it and lots
of additives to help all surfaces to seat in. The rings come in real quick with this stuff.
Google it.....
I have used it before buy not on a model A motor yet..
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:38 AM   #47
Brianfrench65

Sorry but......

I asked and thought I should share:

Greetings:

I have a 1930 model A Ford, and I would like to use Rotella T as my engine lubricant, because I believe it is far superior to any lubrication product that was available to the consumer in the 1930's through the 1940's. Additionally I believe that the are additives in the Rotella T that could help preserve the integrity of this antique engine. I have been using automotive 15-40, detergent oil in this engine.

Can I safely use the Rotella T 15-40 oil in this engine?

Thank You Very Much;

Brian G French
---------------------------------------------

Good day Brian,

Yes you can.

You can use the Rotella T Triple Protection 15W-40 especially for older engines with flat tappets because this motor oil has 1200 ppm of zinc for more wear protection.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Kevin

Shell Technical Help Desk - US
Old 04-15-2016, 10:44 AM   #48
Phil Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
If you want to go nuts, you can use break in oil. It is made by several companies, but
the ones we use are Brad Penn and Gibbs racing. It has plenty of zinc in it and lots
of additives to help all surfaces to seat in. The rings come in real quick with this stuff.
Google it.....
I've used the Brad Penn break-in oils on several "A" motors with great success. Used mostly to prevent any cam and lifter problems. Is it needed ??? some say no, and that's fine but to me it's cheap insurance.
And the rings do seem to seat real quick with it, unlike a synthetic oil
Just what works for me,Phil
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:36 AM   #49
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianfrench65 View Post
Sorry but......

I asked and thought I should share:

Greetings:

I have a 1930 model A Ford, and I would like to use Rotella T as my engine lubricant, because I believe it is far superior to any lubrication product that was available to the consumer in the 1930's through the 1940's. Additionally I believe that the are additives in the Rotella T that could help preserve the integrity of this antique engine. I have been using automotive 15-40, detergent oil in this engine.

Can I safely use the Rotella T 15-40 oil in this engine?

Thank You Very Much;

Brian G French
---------------------------------------------

Good day Brian,

Yes you can.

You can use the Rotella T Triple Protection 15W-40 especially for older engines with flat tappets because this motor oil has 1200 ppm of zinc for more wear protection.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Kevin

Shell Technical Help Desk - US
You can use any motor vehicle oil you want!
Old 04-16-2016, 06:51 AM   #50
Ted Duke

I would NEVER ask anyone what oil they used or DARE to tell tell anyone what oil I use or intend to use. In the Navy they used to say never discuss women or religion; I would add motor oil. LOL
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote