Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-17-2018, 08:36 PM   #1
Highboy34

Default Transmission Gurus: Main Drive Gear

On an assembled 39-48 closed drive transmission, on a work bench, if you grab the main drive gear forward of the front retainer, how much up-down movement should there be? I have one with about 3/32" of wiggle at the pilot bearing end and see rocking movement at its aft end at the synchro rings. I've not taken it apart for inspection, but will, and yes I have the excellent Van Pelt book. But in the book I did not see any discussion of up/down mainshaft movement. This tranny has .007" gap at the second gear washer, no fore-aft cluster gear movement and little or no fore-aft movement of the main drive gear, just the up-down.

The flywheel pilot bushing should keep it stable and centered mounted on an engine, but unmounted on a bench, how much rocking up-down should there be?
Highboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:45 PM   #2
Lawrie

Default Re: Transmission Gurus: Main Drive Gear

Make sure the bearing is clamped securely in the housing,most times they are loose on the retaining circlip area, also use a good quality bearing,AND the modern bearings have a metric width circlip that is trying to be clamped up in an imperial groove.Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:50 PM   #3
ursus

Lawrie, I have the same question and have this situation using older components that predate the influx of metric bearings and circlips.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:04 AM   #4
Lawrie

I have done this many times,it is very important to get it right,
If you do a search on this you should find the article I did.
if not let me know
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:45 AM   #5
Mart

I don't have a transmission nearby to check, but that movement you describe is not really relevant as the front of the shaft is supported by the pilot bearing in the flywheel. The question is, is the front bearing worn out? Any bearing will have some running clearance. This magnified about 2:1 at the end of the shaft.

The bearing does need to be supported properly so it will not slide back and forth. (As stated above). If the bearing is really held in there tight and you are seeing some movement I wouldn't be at all surprised.

If you know the bearing is in good condition you're probably good to go.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:26 AM   #6
Mac VP

This is not a spec that was ever defined by Ford or anyone else. We’ve always detected a certain amount of up and down movement when everything was assembled.....even with new ball bearing, new roller bearing, and a new mainshaft and main drive gear. The pilot bearing in the flywheel is the final piece necessary to hold the alignment.

Regarding the other comments about the retaining ring (snap ring, circlip, etc) I’ll repeat what we’ve stated before. The correct ring.....the ones made for the OD of the ball bearings....should measure .075 to .077” thick. When placed in the groove of the bearing, the OD of the snap ring should still fit into the machined recess of the bearing retainer (front or rear). These two snap rings control the endplay movement of the shafts that they support.

The typical aftermarket snap rings are not the correct thickness. We’ve seen them at .063” thick which will cause problems with endplay. We had to have a ring manufacturer make them to our specifications, which was the correct dimensions AND with the convenient opposed tips for your lock ring pliers. Don’t reuse old Ford snap rings unless you know that they are unused NOS rings.

Also, check the thickness of the bearing retainer gasket that you use.....too thick a gasket material would create a new endplay issue. Some of the aftermarket gasket sets supplied the two retainer gaskets in material that was 3 to 4 times the correct thickness. We stock BEST brand sets, which are of correct material.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com

Last edited by Mac VP; 06-18-2018 at 05:31 AM.
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:49 AM   #7
Highboy34

Thanks to FordBarn and to all for the inputs on the input shaft!
Highboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote