Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-05-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
Clem Clement

Default rusty tranny

So, my bud trades me a '37 tranny that had been left open in the swamp for 23489745.67 years. One of those "one-piece" jobs:Nothing moves.

So I dump it in a tub with 5 gallons of white vinegar for a week followed by a baking soda neutralization bath.

The gears are clean. One syncro is missing a tooth. I can still see rust between the gears. I put a uni on the back end and tried a little to turn the gears: Nothing. I whacked the gears with a brass drift: nothing. It would be fun to try and free this baby without taking it apart.
Suggestions as to what to do next, please.

I guess I could install it in my 39 peeekup and get some of them womens wanting a ride to push me to pop them gears loose...
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: rusty tranny

I filled a stuck trans with diesel fuel and let it soak for a few weeks. After some careful moving of the internals it began to operate freely. It wasn't rusted like you describe, though.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
gundoca

Mine was full of water from sitting for 50 years. Water travelled down the torque tube and filled the rear an turned into a solid piece of sludge rust and metal. Had to disassemble, clean and replace all the bearing s and races. The ring and pinion are pitted, still may have to replace those.
gundoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
Ralph Moore

I took apart a Lincoln Zepher trans in that kind of shape, lots of wd40 or your favorite mix.
Acetone/trans oil would be a good one. Lots of time and I had to beat them out with a brass drift as well. But I saved the case.
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #5
rotorwrench

ATF & acetone mix is one of the best penetrants. Soak it as best you can and see if anything will free up. If not, you may have to try and force things to come apart starting at either back or front. If the case isn't cracked between the main input and the countershaft bores and it doesn't have too much corrosion damage on the journals & bosses, it might be salvageable.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
Andy

I had one that looked like a fuzzy animal inside. I used molasses and it freed up. Watch it closely. Once the rust is gone, the iron is next.
Andy is online now   Reply With Quote