Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
Bill S

Default Turn signal buzzer

Went to Radio Shack to get a buzzer for my turn signals. They had 70,80, and 90db. What are you guys using if you have buzzers on your turn signals?

Thanks
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #2
supereal

Default Re: Turn signal buzzer

If you have an open car, get the loud ones.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
Old Henry

I got the quietest ones and still had to put tape over them to soften their volume even more. They are very annoying but necessary.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
4dFord/SC

I wrapped foam rubber and tape around mine to tone it down.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:51 PM   #5
Drbrown

Like a fellow forum person said, tired of wife's elbow in my side when I forget to turn the direction off. I also installed a radio shack 70db buzzer under dash and found it VERY annoying ! I tried tape, foam and was still annoyed. Next try was long temporary leads and putting in my trunk - that was good but didn't want lots of wiring. My real problem is the flasher light is out-of-sight under the dash edge and the flasher unit is under dash on passenger side and I can't hear it ticking .... so I'll try moving the flasher unit to my side next to the steering wheel.

Option: If you are converted to 12v, obtain a quiet ticker from a used modern car.

Last edited by Drbrown; 10-13-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #6
Marv

Instead of a buzzer you could mount a single LED bulb on the column or wherever by making your own stainless mount, if you would not want to drill a hole in the dash.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:45 AM   #7
G.M.

When it's loud you don't run around with the turn signals on you tend to shut them off as soon as you turn. G.M.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:10 PM   #8
gary635g

Annoying but necessary, tape off most of speaker hole.
gary635g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:30 AM   #9
Mike B

I guess I grew up (and am not that old) in the day before key buzzers,light buzzers, etc...when many of the vehicles my dad had, were outfitted with signal stat add on blinkers.

I recall the first time I left the signal running, he just sat there till we got out of the truck.

As soon as I pulled the keys out of the switch, he asked me "are you going to shut the signal off"?

I said, "oh, I forgot"

He then said "you remembered to take the keys out of the ignition, why can't you remember to shut the signal off?...you use the signal more than you do the keys".

Anyways, maybe some add on sensors for detecting upcoming turns may be in order, just a little dash board flash, etc...to let you know when it's time to turn them on

Lighten up, all done tongue in cheek!
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:27 AM   #10
Henry Hopper

Ive notice that on modern American cars they have a soft bell- like tone when the door is open....Ive thought about using one of these as an audible alarm in conjunction with my indicators.
Henry Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #11
Mart

All if not most of the tones heard on modern cars are computer generated. I don't think there is a soft bell type unit you can just screw in and put 12V to. Even the click you hear when indicating, is a computer generated tone, rather than a flasher unit clicking.

I put two buzzers on my coupe (bcause of the way the lights are wired) and one on my roadster. They make me jump the first time I use them after a while, but I no longer leave the indicators on by accident, and turn them off as soon as possible. I toned them down by wrapping them in tape.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #12
Chris Nelson

I did the same as Mart. I got the flasher from Ron Francis Wire Works and was unhappy with the loud sound, but by wrapping tape around it a couple of times, it toned down enough to be bearable.
Chris Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:20 PM   #13
paul2748

Some cars have the bell sound go on when the signal lights have been on a longish time. My wife's Ford 500 does this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hopper View Post
Ive notice that on modern American cars they have a soft bell- like tone when the door is open....Ive thought about using one of these as an audible alarm in conjunction with my indicators.
paul2748 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:20 AM   #14
G.M.

[QUOTE=Mart;963269]All if not most of the tones heard on modern cars are computer generated. I don't think there is a soft bell type unit you can just screw in and put 12V to. Even the click you hear when indicating, is a computer generated tone, rather than a flasher unit clicking.

I put two buzzers on my coupe (bcause of the way the lights are wired) and one on my roadster. They make me jump the first time I use them after a while, but I no longer leave the indicators on by accident, and turn them off as soon as possible. I toned them down by wrapping them in tape.

[QUOTE]

Mart you didn't need two buzzers. Use two diodes from the buzzer to prevent the left side or right side from operating both sides. G.M.