Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
bige386

Default More old Fords or C-----

My Boss and I was having a conversation today about old car and stuff. Now he is a die hard C car fan and I am into the Ford stuff so we like to rag on each other when ever the topic comes up. So we're carrying on today about F/C's and I told him here where more old Fords still on the road these days than old Chevy's. So he tells me some big ol story about how there are more chevys and gms still around bla bla bla.
I'm just wondering what others think about this. More Fords or Chevys ?
Old 01-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
jimTN

Default Re: More old Fords or C-----

Definately more Fords up thru around 48. The 30's brand x had wood framed bodies and the earlier 20's had poorly designed rear axles and other faults. I would venture a guess that there are more Model T Fords and 32 Fords on the road today than all brand X up thru 48.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
51 MERC-CT

All depends, if you are talking about Chevy powered Fords, there are probably more Chevy's
Old 01-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
blueblood

all i know is you don't see any chevy ambulances.they all seem to be fords.talk to a wrecker driver they tow more chevy's than any other.
blueblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
59ab

JimTn Hit the nail on the head!!
59ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
PeteVS

I don't know if this is pertinent, but on a recent vacation in Colorado, I saw a remarkable number of older Chevy pickups (say from the '70's.) The only times I saw older Ford pickups was when i came up behind them on the highways. Usually turned out to be trailers made from Ford pickups and they were being towed by Chevys. (I expect to get some grief from this comment.)
Old 01-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
jim1932

Sounds more likely with muscle cars Although the mustangs and fair lane are collectible. They don't match up with all the chevelles, Novak, impala, monte carol bcamaro corvette ant even corvairs. You sure don't see a lot of pre 55 Chevys though
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:44 AM   #8
68HILLBILLY

I believe in general there are a lot more pre war fords than chevys. you could even extend that up to about 1948 probably. after 1955 you see a lot more chevys around here than fords.
68HILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:01 AM   #9
f1builder

fords are way more popular than chevys in terms of hotrods as well as restorations. probably 3 or 4 to 1 in favor of fords. chevy guys are usually tone deaf and don't really know what a real motor sounds like. whenever i see a nice old ford with a 350/350 in it i want to start a protest----what is that all about, other than 350's being cheap motors?
f1builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:18 AM   #10
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1builder View Post
fords are way more popular than chevys in terms of hotrods as well as restorations. probably 3 or 4 to 1 in favor of fords. chevy guys are usually tone deaf and don't really know what a real motor sounds like. whenever i see a nice old ford with a 350/350 in it i want to start a protest----what is that all about, other than 350's being cheap motors?
Easier fit primarily due to the rear sump oil pan as opposed the Ford front sump oil pan. Some later Ford split sump pans made it easier but still a pain to get necessary tierod etc. clearances.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1builder View Post
It's all about a cheap engine. I'm not cheap so I don't own a cheap Ch**y.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
37 Coupe

A couple of theories I have read rather true or not explained why more older Fords exist than Chevrolet. GM and Chevrolet in particular bought into "Planned Obsolete" ,where a part or the entire car would only last a few years untill the owner needed a new one. Henry Ford would never have bought into this,the Model A is the best example. Most auto manufacturing especially the Big Three were invested in Planned Obsolences" by the mid fifties,the 58's had to be the worse. Second reason or mayby it has to do with the first is the different parts Chevrolet would introduce every year,lot of them would not interchange year after year like Ford and made in difficult to keep running especially war years. Again these are just two theories but I do know more than one person who worked at the Fisher Guide plant in Columbus who knew that parts like door hinges,latches etc were made to wearout and fail to be replaced out of warranty.