Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Vergil

Default Exhaust Port Internal Thermal Coating

I looked for a thermal coating to coat the inside of the flathead exhaust ports in the engine while I was building the last one but had no luck. Now I see Eastwood has an internal spray coating for headers and exhaust pipes good for 1800º.

"Eastwood's High Temperature Internal Exhaust Coating is a truly unique product in that it is designed to reduce underhood temperatures and extend the life of exhaust system components. By coating the inside of exhaust system components,this focused formula traps the heat inside the tubing, thus lowering underhood& undercar temperatures. Its 1800° thermal coating properties will extend the life exhaust system components by preventing rust and corrosion build up from the inside out. And the Eastwood exclusive 2' 360° aerosol extension nozzle makes applying the coating a snap. Works with both new and used exhaust system"

If this will keep a little of the heat from transferring to the water it would be worth the trouble it seems to me. Any thoughts on this?

Vergil
Old 07-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Henry/Kokomo

Default Re: Exhaust Port Internal Thermal Coating

I agree with your logic. At the worst, I suppose it's like chicken soup. . . . "It couldn't hurt".
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
36tbird

Vergil, I had the same thoughts. I first laid down some duct tape on the valve seats to protect them and installed a couple of old valve assemblies. Then I blocked off the exhaust port. I poured some blast media into the cavity through the riser hole. Finally I applied air pressure through the riser hole allowing some to bleed off. I got the idea for this from those spark plug cleaners and I was trying to clean the cavity and make a good surface for the coating to stick to.

It was a few years back on the old barn where some gent with a v-8 60 midget told me he used Black Satin that Speedway sells to do the thermal coating. I sprayed that stuff in the cavity top and bottom using a little air brush. I don't know how well it has stuck or if it really helped, but that engine is running well and stays cool.

I will be interested to hear how your application of the Eastwood product goes.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
Vergil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36tbird View Post
Vergil, I had the same thoughts. I first laid down some duct tape on the valve seats to protect them and installed a couple of old valve assemblies. Then I blocked off the exhaust port. I poured some blast media into the cavity through the riser hole. Finally I applied air pressure through the riser hole allowing some to bleed off. I got the idea for this from those spark plug cleaners and I was trying to clean the cavity and make a good surface for the coating to stick to.

It was a few years back on the old barn where some gent with a v-8 60 midget told me he used Black Satin that Speedway sells to do the thermal coating. I sprayed that stuff in the cavity top and bottom using a little air brush. I don't know how well it has stuck or if it really helped, but that engine is running well and stays cool.

I will be interested to hear how your application of the Eastwood product goes.
Well 36tbird you came up with a plan and I didn't but I wish I had. If you never have the opportunity to see how it is holding up will be good news because you haven't any reason to work on it. If I build another engine I will try to get something in the ports as you have done. Glad to see someone has tried a coating.

Vergil