Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-18-2015, 04:19 PM   #1
1938 Coupe

Default V8 60 Water Pump Failure

On one hot 105 degree day last week my motor overheated and coolant started coming out the overflow so I thought. I let the radiator cool down and as I started adding water back into the radiator I noticed water shooting out the right water pump. The pressure blow the rubber noise cone off the pump and now water is coming out of hole at the end of the pulley where the nut attaches. I didn't know that could happen and does it mean the pump is shot and needs rebuilding? Could I just fill the hole with JB weld for time being?
How do you remove the water pumps from these V8 60 motors? I saw a picture of a pump that looks like it is treaded and screws in? Do you need special tools for this job? Thanks in advance for any information because I don't have a clue!
Old 09-18-2015, 05:37 PM   #2
alan

Default Re: V8 60 Water Pump Failure

they unscrew with a special spanner wrench, can be done with a blunt chisel and a hammer. these water pumps are known leakers the flat of the impeller seals against the water pump housing. there are two rubber-most of the time flat, style O-rings that seal the pump to the front housing of the engine. what a bear to get back together again without leaking.. I have seen the rubber caps filled with silicone gasket cement and clamped back on and let dry. If you are running a pressure cap-remove it and see if the leaking stops or slows down
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:07 AM   #3
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: V8 60 Water Pump Failure

Blocking off the leakage could cause coolant to be forced through the bushing into the oil pan , most likely it is leaking out the front because the leakage path behind the pulley is clogged up
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote