Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-18-2017, 09:29 PM   #1
Dave O

Default Two Questions - Paint color and hardware

The Header Strip, also called Door Strip is painted upper body color or black?
A-45890-B on Snyder's site.

Also, where can I find a listing of hardware sizes/shapes and where they fit for all of the screws, etc. The vendors do a good job of providing all of the necessary hardware, i.e. interior hardware set, etc. but I'm struggling with what screw goes where. I know I'll eventually figure it out by process of elimination, but surely there is book or listing that provides the info.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:23 PM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: Two Questions - Paint color and hardware

the header strip is painted body color.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:11 AM   #3
31 RPU

http://www.fordscript.com/catalogs/M...ORD%202016.pdf

Here is a link that might be helpful. I thought I had a list of bolts and sizes somewhere but I can't seem to find it...
31 RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:40 AM   #4
reggiedog

HI:

There's a book that is called interior trim standard but if you have a Deluxe car you have to buy the other bigger book that's called Interior trim and that book go's from up to I think 1928 through 194?.

But the question here is how good do you want your Car or Truck to be do you want it to look as original as possible????.

If so don't buy the Repo trim and handles as they don't even look anything like the originals did as I have a Deluxe Tudor and I got a few Deluxe Door Handles from the suppliers and there's no comparison to the Originals as every detail you can see in the Originals where the re-pop's you can't see every detail on them so to me there more or less junk as I'm going for a points Car here and I want everything to be as Original as I possibly can and it will be as I don't care how many years it takes me to get it that way and I will at some point in time.

So what I ended up doing is getting all of the original door handles and interior trim from Steve Becker at Bert's in Denver.

As he is the only one that has the Original Stuff for inside and out of the Model A Cars and Trucks as that's what he sells is all Original Stuff he does sell repo stuff also but mostly Original Stuff as that's where I get all of my part's from now.

As I only want the good Original Stuff Now and not the Cheap Repo Stuff Granted Some of the Repo Stuff you can't tell the difference from that to the Originals but you have to just go to the Swap Meets to do that and even there there's always someone that is trying to sell the repo stuff for the Original Stuff so you just have to watch yourself.

And all and all having them all re-nickeled or re-chromed what ever the case may be but I went with what my the Car had in it Originally but I'm also going for a points car here so that kind of matters to me.

But to answer you question about the Handles and trim I would get the bigger book as that tells you allot more about what trim was in the what Cars and or Trucks then the other one does but the book isn't a cheap book either.

But you will use the book for years to come as it has all I think just the Ford Cars and Trucks in it I would have to go get it to make sure of that.

But it go's all the way into the 40's for all of the cars and trucks now I think you can't beet that one as it is a very good book to have just buy it or go to a supplier and look at the book and see for yourself then you will know what I'm talking about But.

Good Luck In Your Quest Reggiedog
reggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:26 AM   #5
Dave O

Thanks for all the info.
reggiedog, I guess I'm taking the "easy route" on my restoration. I want to honor the original look, but not committed to being perfect in every detail. I originally bought the car to just enjoy an occasional ride and take me back to the days of my first car, which was a Model A that I bought for $30! As I get deeper and deeper into the restoration I find myself trying to remain true to the original look, but also realizing that even back in the 30's car owners modified their cars. That's what started the aftermarket business.
I'm in awe of you guys that are making the effort to have every nut and bolt identical to the original. But, my immediate goal is to have a good looking "driver" that looks every bit like a Model A, but is not intended for fine point judging. For that purpose I think the suppliers do a pretty good job, and I'm happy they are out there.
That said, I'll get the big book and start looking at Bert's for my parts going forward. Thanks again for the info.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #6
100IH

The vendors and the 2 national clubs sell reproduced parts books - mostly for chassis. Fair to good pictures with references to fastener descriptions. This helps identify when there is a different part as in early and late production WITH the required fasteners related to that part. Also, "Ford Model A standard hardware 1928-1931" by Nick Isbell" is specific to bolts,screws,nuts and washers for the chassis and trim. The gray area is fasteners for each body assembly. Last but not least - restoration and judging book from the national clubs, recently updated. These 3 sources are in order of cost. What's the cost of having to re-do later? The catalog given in post #3 is one of the best sources to buy once you know what it is that you need.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:49 PM   #7
reggiedog

Yes:

But Roy don't give catalogs out anymore I've tried to get one of them but I do have a old one from about 10 years ago but there only on-line now but that's the pace that I get allot of nut's and bolts from when I need them.

Reggiedog
Old 01-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #8
jhowes

Whose Roy?
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:06 AM   #9
reggiedog

Smile Re: Two Questions - Paint color and hardware

It's Roy Nacewicz he's the one that makes all of the original type nuts and Bolts and other things for that person who wants to make there Model A's a show car.

That's where most if not all of the suppliers get there supply's from as he is the only one that I know of that makes the original type supplies for the Model A's today and you can actually buy from him also and his on-line catalog web site is www.fordscript.com.

good luck Reggiedog
Old 01-21-2017, 02:31 PM   #10
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

[QUOTE=reggiedog;1416319]Yes:

But Roy don't give catalogs out anymore I've tried to get one of them but I do have a old one from about 10 years ago but there only on-line now but that's the pace that I get allot of nut's and bolts from when I need them.

But I do believe you can buy them! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #11
160B

You can go to his web site:

http://www.fordscript.com/

and save the catalog to your computer and have it electronically, and print it out, 22 pages or 11 if you print back to back.

Right mouse click on the catalog

http://www.fordscript.com/catalogs/M...ORD%202016.pdf

and save to your computer.

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:22 PM   #12
reggiedog

You CAN'T buy them either as the Catalog is ONLY on-line call them and they will tell you the same thing as they told me as I know I tried that myself years ago.

Reggiedog