Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
Jack 34pu

Default Truck oil pan gasket - one inside & one outside?

I'm using a truck oil pan and it has the large plate with a ring inside the pan. Only one gasket in my 'Best' gasket set. Should it go inside the pan under the ring or outside under the plate? Or . . . should I make another and have one inside and one out? Looks like a good place to have a leak.
Jack 34pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
4tford

Default Re: Truck oil pan gasket - one inside & one outside?

should be two gaskets.
4tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Ford provided an answer...unfortunately in this case they actually provided TWO answers: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...48-51truck.jpg

and http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...g_1949to53.jpg

Looking again, I think the two-gasket drawing is of the rare HD Taxi/Police pan with cleanout and not a truck pan, but the issues look identical! Take your pick and go for it!
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
Jack 34pu

Thanks Bruce,

I should have looked at Van Pelts site before asking the question. I think I'll go with double gaskets.
Jack 34pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
BobM

I thought I would use a bead of silicone on the top inside the pan & a gasket on the the bottom of the pan?
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
Ford provided an answer...unfortunately in this case they actually provided TWO answers: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...48-51truck.jpg

and http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...g_1949to53.jpg

Looking again, I think the two-gasket drawing is of the rare HD Taxi/Police pan with cleanout and not a truck pan, but the issues look identical! Take your pick and go for it!
Bruce:

This is interesting for I have three F-1 pans. One came off a motor I personally pulled out of an F-1 so I'm pretty sure it is the correct one. All three had the two gasket deal.

Now, with all things Ford and folklore, no one will ever now for certain if they left Dearborn that way or not.

I think Best Gasket Co. still includes these two gaskets in their 8BA pan gasket kit/set.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:36 AM   #7
John Kennedy

Silicone's for bathrooms. I only use Permatex Right Stuff as a sealer.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:02 PM   #8
davids2toys

I have a 49-53 Mercury Flathead in mine. I got the oil pan with the big round clean-out. When I first got the car 2 years ago I changed out the gasket but I only did the outside one, big mistake, leaks like a sieve! I am going to do it again and want to do both gaskets this time. Can that inner gasket be done correctly while pan is still on the car? I think remember an inner flange.
One huge problem I had was that the bolts had no way to hold the heads from spinning because they are inside the pan. i ended up getting studs with Allen key holes in the end. I put a nyloc on the other end that is in the oil pan. I remember not being very happy about the whole situation and definitely not happy about how it came out. I am going to re-do it soon. Anybody have any good advice? Are these bolts normal to be like that?
Thanks...Dave
davids2toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:31 PM   #9
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
I have a 49-53 Mercury Flathead in mine. I got the oil pan with the big round clean-out. When I first got the car 2 years ago I changed out the gasket but I only did the outside one, big mistake, leaks like a sieve! I am going to do it again and want to do both gaskets this time. Can that inner gasket be done correctly while pan is still on the car? I think remember an inner flange.
One huge problem I had was that the bolts had no way to hold the heads from spinning because they are inside the pan. i ended up getting studs with Allen key holes in the end. I put a nyloc on the other end that is in the oil pan. I remember not being very happy about the whole situation and definitely not happy about how it came out. I am going to re-do it soon. Anybody have any good advice? Are these bolts normal to be like that?
Thanks...Dave
Dave the original ring that's located inside the oil pan did not have bolts. Ford used studs they are spot welded to the ring so there's never anything turning when your tightening the nuts on the lower plate . There should be enough room in the area of the inner ring to lift it high enough to get the inner gasket inside the pan. The challenge may be moving the ring out of the way some so your hands are free to place the gasket inside.
Ronieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:10 PM   #10
davids2toys

The spot welded bolts would make perfect sense. I wonder if somebody sells that ring with the bolts attached? Even if they did I don't think i could get it into the pan without removing it which is impossible to do with the engine installed
Old 10-26-2020, 07:29 PM   #11
GOSFAST

Best fix here is weld a round cover on the pan and use a 1/2-20 GM drain plug welded in the center!

We've done a number of these to date!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Here's a few shots of the fix on a more recent build! If you look very closely this one also has our dipstick-adapter installed to make it "removable" without dropping the pan. Easy to change the adapter gasket if necessary??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Oil Pan-8RT Mod B.JPG (45.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead Oil Pan-8RT Mod D.jpg (61.7 KB, 70 views)
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:20 PM   #12
davids2toys

Could you weld it with the pan still installed, or do you have to remove the pan from the engine? I am thinking removed due to the high heat or open flame of welding
Old 10-26-2020, 09:34 PM   #13
flatford8

I agree it would have to be removed to keep the weld clean of oil.....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:51 PM   #14
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
The spot welded bolts would make perfect sense. I wonder if somebody sells that ring with the bolts attached? Even if they did I don't think i could get it into the pan without removing it which is impossible to do with the engine installed

Your correct the original ring will not go in the opening from the outside of the pan. However I bet with a slight modification the ring can be installed from the outside. To remove the oil pan I think you remove the steering tie rod then the oil pan should come off. If you find you can be removed the oil pan I'm sure I have an extra ring in stock if you decide to just use the pan you already have. Or if you prefer something better I have plenty of oil pans in stock and I'm located a short drive from where you are in CT.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:29 PM   #15
davids2toys

This engine is physically bigger than the original i believe, Sure looks like it would need to be pulled to change the pan.The pan on the car now hits the tie rod when turning left. I was told I need the mercury car pan and I did buy one from eBay a while ago, Still need the right pickup and pump though. I also do not want to pull the motor anytime soon
Old 10-29-2020, 08:25 PM   #16
davids2toys

Anybody know the Torque for the clean-out fasteners?
Old 10-26-2021, 10:51 AM   #17
1953F100

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSFAST View Post
Best fix here is weld a round cover on the pan and use a 1/2-20 GM drain plug welded in the center!

We've done a number of these to date!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Here's a few shots of the fix on a more recent build! If you look very closely this one also has our dipstick-adapter installed to make it "removable" without dropping the pan. Easy to change the adapter gasket if necessary??

Good morning,

I was doing some reading and came across a post mentioning a dipstick adapter that may be available for the Flathead. Would you happen to have one available to purchase? Thank you for your time.

Sam
1953F100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:56 PM   #18
Zeke3

Sam, welcome to the Barn. Gosfast died in the last year or so and I don't know if his business is still in operation. I think there is a discussion on here where he showed more details of the dipstick adapter he came up with. You could search this forum for the discussion, maybe use the advanced search and include his user name.

You could also try contacting Michael Driskell at Third Gen Automotive, he may have an adapter with attaching hardware.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 02:59 PM   #19
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke3 View Post
Sam, welcome to the Barn. Gosfast died in the last year or so and I don't know if his business is still in operation. I think there is a discussion on here where he showed more details of the dipstick adapter he came up with. You could search this forum for the discussion, maybe use the advanced search and include his user name.

You could also try contacting Michael Driskell at Third Gen Automotive, he may have an adapter with attaching hardware.
This? > https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...pstick+adapter

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:32 PM   #20
1953F100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke3 View Post

Thank you for the welcoming. I’ve been a member for a bit but the project has been on hold for a bit. I wasn’t aware Gosfast no longer with us. My thoughts are with his family and friends. I’ll look into his posts further. Thank you for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Appreciate the direction on the subject. 👍🏻 Thank you.
1953F100 is offline   Reply With Quote