Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
flathead47

Default 46 to 48 convertible top information

Did Ford have an instruction manual on the proper way to fold the power top down?
Does anyone have a copy of it?
Where should the top/irons be when down , level or slightly above the deck?
I bought a boot cover from one of the main suppliers that is for my 47 but is too tight & does not cover the corners well.
It is suppose to be the right one , so thinking I may be doing something wrong with the top as I am folding it down.
Thanks
flathead47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: 46 to 48 convertible top information

Are you folding the top by hand or is the automatic system hooked up? Sometimes it is necessary to push down on the top side irons, to be able to snap the boot in place. The top material should fold between the top bows, and the header bow should rest just above the rear deck when in the lowered position. Ford did have instruction manuals for top operation, with the manual tops, not sure about the 'power' tops.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #3
bobH

Ive tried everything I can think of to fold the top on our 47. Every way seems to be wrong, and the boot does not want to go on.
bobH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
bo8109b

I bought a boot from Mac's for my '48 and was also too short to reach the corners. Sent it back with instructions to add 2 1/2" length in center and that solved the problem. No charge for alteration including shipping.
bo8109b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
jimTN

You MUST unsnap the buttons on each side or ripppppppppppppp! Originally there was breakaway snaps but they do not seem to be existant today.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:41 PM   #6
supereal

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The automatic release snaps are available from LeBaron Bonney (800/221-5408). They are mounted on the rear sides of the top where the top follows the curve of the irons. If your top doesn't fold down completely, check the far back iron (the one with the wood on the top) to see that it is loose enough on the pivots to fall back as the top is lowered. As to the top boot, we get ours without the snaps mounted, and install them after the top is in place. Then the top is lowered, and the boot is marked to match the half of the snaps that extend across the body just behind the top well. The boot is marked, and the snaps put in the boot. We buy all of our tops and parts from L-B because we know everything will fit and is first class quality. I have a card attached to the inside of he header bow to remind me to unsnap the edges of the top before lowering. If you don't unsnap, it is likely the top will be ruined. I tuck the folds of the top as it is lowered evenly between the irons so the top will be low enough to allow the boot to be snapped in place.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:16 AM   #7
jimTN

You say the snaps are available then you repeat my warning about unsnaping before lowering. Are you talking about two different things? I would sure like to have some of those automatic release snaps for the outside corners and I believe (some time ago) I called LB and they did not know what I was referring to.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:19 AM   #8
bobH

My top, plus snaps, plus boot, all came from LB, about 14 yrs ago. Snaps are not anything special, and overall fit of top and boot is only so-so. It's only adequate.
bobH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:46 AM   #9
Frank Miller

I have them on my 49. The male snap snaps into a channel and when the top is lowered they slide out to release. I am able to pull the material out between the bows and fold it over the irons. It let's it go down further and is less wrinkled when I put it up. I am guessing the top quality Haartz cloth we use today is much heavier than original.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:31 PM   #10
supereal

My L-B catalog lists two types of "self releasing fasteners". Item 10326 for 1940, 10332 for '41-'48. I looked up mine, and they were $3.95 each then. I add that I wouldn't depend on them to release, but installed them to be correct. I always unsnap all by hand before lowering the top. The order takers at many vendors don't have a clue as to what they are selling unless you can give them a stock number. I fought that battle with a vendor that shall remain nameless here, I ordered a set of the running board trims for my '47. When it arrived, both fit the left side only. They said they were the same for both sides, which is not true. They told me to send them back, and they would send another set. You guessed it. The new set was for the right side only! Never ordered from them ever again.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #11
flathead47

Thanks for all the information .. the power top is in operation , I use it & assist manually as well.
Appears there has been top boot size issues with different companies.
Attached are some pictures with the top down , does this look low enough?
If so I will get the boot modified.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3559.JPG (26.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3560.JPG (27.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3562.JPG (30.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3563.JPG (28.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3564.JPG (25.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3565.JPG (24.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3561.JPG (26.4 KB, 16 views)
flathead47 is offline   Reply With Quote